Do the Bills have the best offense in the league?

YoloinOhio

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

I think you grossly overestimate the importance of WRs. QBs make the WRs better not the other way around. Yes if Diggs or Davis got hurt it would change the offense but it would not cripple it. They will already be a more balanced offense this year with more two TE sets and more play action. Knox is going to be an absolute beast this year. 

The only issue player wise is the OL. Beane has taken some nice steps here but there are still quite a few variables. 

If Diggs goes down, Knox and Howard aren't going to make that up.  Maybe a Kelce and Waller combo....

21 minutes ago, Simon said:

Pretty much what you've already stated above.

We have one good OT and one young OT that might improve.

That's it. Nobody else on this roster can play Tackle in the NFL. And that is a problem.

We have one x receiver, one z receiver and then a handful of y's and backup quality receivers.

That's it. When Diggs or Davis goes down, this offense will quickly be playing with one hand tied behind it's back.

Mix that in with a new O-coordinator and a potentially more difficult schedule and I can see that unit having some issues at times.

I realize in the event of an injury, you can’t have great depth at every position, but that is what the draft is for.  To have a critical position like OT, have ZERO depth, and then go around and draft a 3rd down back and a midget LB with your two Day 2 picks is a mistake…IMO. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He scored 42 of the team's 56 TDs.  He's the second best rusher win the team---posting a career high in attempts and yards last season.  

Particularly in the last playoffs, he absolutely carries the Offense.

That is true cant argue.  There were way too many unnecessary designed QB runs by Dabol that exposed JA to injury.    JA carrying the team has a lot to do with Dabol's play-calling IMO.  JA is great at running.  But that doesnt mean he has to lead in rushing.  That was Dabol's mistake.  Improvement in OL and RB will help balance that but mainly the play calling needs to change.  You could make an argument that lack of talent pushed Dabol into that, but I do not  completely agree. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BTB said:

I realize in the event of an injury, you can’t have great depth at every position, but that is what the draft is for.  To have a critical position like OT, have ZERO depth, and then go around and draft a 3rd down back and a midget LB with your two Day 2 picks is a mistake…IMO. 

We have a vet in Quessenberry and a 2nd year guy in Doyle.  

I wouldn’t call that zero depth. 

54 minutes ago, elijah said:

The offense is good, but we needed a #2 WR in my opinion. 

Gabe Davis has progressed tremendously and had a crazy postseason, but were relying on a guy jumping from the 5th option to the 2nd and producing at not only the same pace, but a better pace. 

He’s a great player and there’s going to be people that read this as me saying he’s not good, but I think WR needed someone just a little more talented to fill in the #2 spot while Davis continued to progress and grow. 

Hopefully I’m proven wrong 🤷‍♂️ 

Davis is now in his 3rd season.  How many seasons does it take to "progress and grow"?  Methinks 2 years is plenty for a WR!

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BTB said:

Where does it say he’s only a third down back? 

2 minutes ago, Deadstroke said:

Davis is now in his 3rd season.  How many seasons does it take to "progress and grow"?  Methinks 2 years is plenty for a WR!

Casual NFL fans talk about Gabriel Davis as a top notch WR.  Just look at any social media discussion. 

I get that we, as Bills fans, are more critical, but Davis is that dude. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

It’s fine to be critical (clearly, since you are critical in all of your posts) but are you ever positive? You must have been a real hoot during the drought years 

Dude I'm positive all the time. I just dont see everything the team or Beane does as great.  Every GM has misses and he is no different. He signed a player that quit during the game!!  He wasted second round picks on Ford and Epenesa. Those are huge misses.  But he got Knox, Davis, Bass too!.  I'm consistent or at least I try to be consistent too.  Lastly I admit when I'm wrong, which happens rarely around here.

I was on the Allen bandwagon before he was drafted. Half this board wanted to draft another QB after year two. I love Knox more so than many on here who complain about his drops. He's the best TE Bills have had since the merger.

I've really praised Beane's last two off seasons. I think his free agent moves have been great.  I thought getting Milano nad Williams back were great moves. Williams didn't work out but I'm not going to go back and say it was a bad move when I thought it was a good move.  I criticized him for not making moves during the season to get the defense more help. Maybe he tried to get Miller. Maybe he didn't.  We won't know the whole story. I've agreed with his 5th year option decisions even with Edmunds. 

I've also been consistent in my doubts McD can get us a trophy.  I posted that before the 2021 season as an answer to a thread about the biggest worry going into the season. Those doubts sadly came true in KC. I hate the emphasis on special teams for roster and game day decisions. That said McD has gotten better at being aggressive especially before the half, his players love him, and even his challenges got a little better last year. 

3 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Where does it say he’s only a third down back? 

Beane basically implied that in his press conference

Offense was extremely inconsistent last year, including Allen. It really depends on whether the OL is actually improved. I’d like to see them use a 5th and couple of 6th rounders to move up for IOL today.

Best offense in the NFL? No.

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We have a vet in Quessenberry and a 2nd year guy in Doyle.  

I really don't think you want to see either of those guys lined up at Tackle in front of our franchise QB. :ph34r:

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

When those WR injuries inevitably happens, or injuries to the line or just when the offensive line is having a bad game in general, Allen will just pull some magician ***** out of his ass and will the offense to points and performance as he did for much of the end of last season….

My fear is injury to Allen himself because he has to do so much when those injuries do hit other positions due to the lack of quality depth at those positions. 

This team absolutely needs some outside depth.  Carrying 6 WRs with Diggs, Davis, Crowder, Mck, outside rookie, Kumerow would be at least decent.

I wonder if they try to target a 3rd/4th year guy in a trade.  Someone who was a decent draft pick but hasn’t shown quite enough for their original team

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I really don't think you want to see either of those guys lined up at Tackle in front of our franchise QB. :ph34r:

Ha, I don’t disagree, but I don’t see a ton of teams that have these stud backup swing tackles around the league. 

1 hour ago, Process said:

We upgraded at TE, upgraded at RB, upgraded the o line, and upgraded slot receiver.

I sure as hell hope they don't take a step back.

For one year😎

26 minutes ago, BTB said:

Is he an every down workhorse RB1?

Would be nice to have one, wouldn't it? Maybe Bijan Robinson next year. 😎

23 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ha, I don’t disagree, but I don’t see a ton of teams that have these stud backup swing tackles around the league. 

Doesn't have to be a stud.

I'd be less worried if we just had a guy who has the feet to step in there for a couple games or even just a few series but I don't even see that on this roster right now.

If they can't find a viable backup option by fall, I anticipate spending the entire season hiding behind a throw pillow every time Dawkins or Spencer Brown is slow to get up. 

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Arguably, the WR room last year was not widely different - Beas was hurt and Sanders was on his last legs. So we may be slightly better in that regard. But strength of schedule is something I hadnt considered. 

We did benefit from having very few major injuries last year and shouldnt expect the same every season. 

I see how we were both saying most of the same things and I was coming to a more rosy/hopeful conclusion 🙂 

They miscalculated last year signing another short to intermediate receiver who lacked the ability to get deep.  But maybe that's the goal for their offense now...be a lateral versus vertical unit.  

Still, there's a price to pay using all these premium resources on defense...and it's gonna come at the expense of the guy the Pegula's are paying 43M per over the next 6 beginning in 2023.

If they're getting to the playoffs but stuck going on the road for a divisional game these next 1-2 seasons then their roster building strategy needs an overhaul.  

26 minutes ago, BTB said:

Is he an every down workhorse RB1?

Is Aaron Jones? Heck Alvin Kamara started his career as a 3rd down back and remained just that until Ingram was suspended for four games. We don’t know how these guys will develop over their careers, especially before they take a regular season snap.

Cook has elite athletic traits, 4.4 speed, the frame size to add another ten pounds if need be, and he can line up in the slot and run routes. He also works out with Singletary, so there aren’t any issues with those guys getting along in a committee approach. 

I’m all for waiting to see how much juice this kid has. If he ends up being a third down back that might be okay too…. I’d be happy to have a Darren Sproles, Kevin Faulk, or Eric Metcalf on the roster. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.