We need a Punter!

WNY

2 hours ago, WNY said:

With these additional picks, I think we’ll grab a punter somewhere. Getting Bass has paid dividends…..

The difference is Bass scores points and is a weapon on kickoffs and our punter is used twice a game and doesn’t do anything. “Punt god” isn’t even a holder. We don’t need a guy with a giant leg that has no sense of directional control with our offense….. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, chongli said:

Maybe Moorman will come out of retirement for us, and to win a SB trophy?!

Come out of retirement yes but to be a assistant coach.  He has experience in punting, holding ball and other types of special teams plays.

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Just A punter? Why not draft two? 

Would not hurt to have competition in camp between two 6th round punters.

• Like (+1) 1

2. Penn State image Jordan Stout, P, Penn State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 209.
Projected Round (2022): 5-7.

4/26/22: In 2021, Stout averaged 46 yards per punt and knocked a long of 76. He also chipped in as a kicker, hitting on 70 percent of his field goals, going 5-of-9 in the 40 yard range and 2-of-3 beyond 50. Stout is a punter for the NFL.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2022PU.php

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, davefan66 said:

It was horrible.  He kicked a few times into the scoreboard end of the field.  First hung and dropped.  Second was a little better.  Third was his best were he booted it a little lower and slower and it was a decent kick.  Playing in Buffalo, he should know the how the wind is a problem for the kicking game and adjust.  His problem and most likely the ST coach also...who is gone.

Dude scares the heck out of me with his form.  Doesn't look up and takes a breather between catching the ball and actually punting it.  Way too slow, can't believe he hasn't been blocked often.

And yet all that, but his punts still only about 5 yards less than the top punters in the league and 2 to 3 yards less than the average punters.

Not at all against drafting one and can improve there, but the extreme worries about punting are way overboard.  Flawless holding is more important than a couple more yards net.

IMO I'd prefer they draft Stroud from Penn St than Araiza.  His stats are very close to the "God"

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And yet all that, but his punts still only about 5 yards less than the top punters in the league and 2 to 3 yards less than the average punters.

Not at all against drafting one and can improve there, but the extreme worries about punting are way overboard.  Flawless holding is more important than a couple more yards net.

IMO I'd prefer they draft Stroud from Penn St than Araiza.  His stats are very close to the "God"

Haack is too inconsistent.  May drive a great punt, but is short and shanks on the next two.  Where we are trying to go, we need consistency at all positions.  This dude isn’t.

I’ll admit I liked Araiza for his booming kicks and how that translates to 40 mph swirling winds.  But, yes Stroud is the better choice from what I’ve read.

10 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Haack is too inconsistent.  May drive a great punt, but is short and shanks on the next two.  Where we are trying to go, we need consistency at all positions.  This dude isn’t.

I’ll admit I liked Araiza for his booming kicks and how that translates to 40 mph swirling winds.  But, yes Stroud is the better choice from what I’ve read.

Agree Haack's stats  only differ from league average by a couple of yards, but the eye test says different.  So the only explanation is consistency.

But do wonder even other punters including leagues best, other than seeing them on TV and likely not watching as intently as when viewing a Bills game, how consistent are they.  Unless a punt is returned for a TD or blocked, it's not making the Primetime hightlights show.

Yes much easier to look great punting in San Diego!

• Agree 1

Not sure why people joke so much about this position.  Our punter cost us a game last year (PIT) and tried very hard to cost us a second game.  When you're going 7-10, that doesn't really matter much, but championship teams can't afford to piss away games because their punter is incompetent at punting the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TAinLA said:

Matt Araiza - San Diego St.,  get 'ur done!

This is what's going to happen: Araiza will be picked in the 4th round right around the pick the Bills traded in the 1st round & Bills message boards are going to have a lot of angry posts criticizing Beane for costing us Araiza by moving up two spots to get Elam  when he would have been available at 25.  

50 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I’m actually pretty excited about drafting a punter today, that can’t be healthy. 

yeah what else you gonna do with 6 picks on day 3 - some trading down likely but no way do you trade-up for a punter even if he is a generational talent if there is such thing for a P....will take second-best P on the board and he should beat Haack out after Haack gives him some vet advice esp on holds for FGs and XPs..

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.