Rd 3, Pick 89 (25): LB Terrell Bernard, Baylor

Hapless Bills Fan

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

You missed the part of last season where teams said "nope, 2 deep shell....you're going to have to dink and dunk your way down the field."

There is legit one guy in the NFL that teams fear doing this to them - Hill.  That's it.  That's the list.  Sure you'll catch a D sleeping here and there.  But don't sweat not having pure deep guys on the roster.  

But having McKenzie and Cook in addition to Diggs and Davis on the field will give them plenty to worry about.  

Now WR depth?  Yes, we can use 1 more.  

But if yo don't have one, then other teams don't even have to worry about it. 

Continually building defense is stange to me, especailly for a guy like this who nobody is even sure where he is gona play.. 

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It doesn't matter what grade YOU had on him. They had a 3rd Round Grade on him. We cut AJ Klein and have Tyrel Dodson as the next guy on the LB depth chart after Edmunds and Milano. Let's see how they use him and how he plays before we sh-t all over the pick.

This pick sucks. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, MPT said:

They don't like the pick either.

I am not saying that Marino or cover 1 is wrong (or right) on the pick. My comment was more general— I don’t care for Marino generally, at least compared to the cover 1 guys. The cover 1 analysis is just generally more deep and data and film driven. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It doesn't matter what grade YOU had on him. They had a 3rd Round Grade on him. We cut AJ Klein and have Tyrel Dodson as the next guy on the LB depth chart after Edmunds and Milano. Let's see how they use him and how he plays before we ***** all over the pick.

The Bills sure do look to have an underwhelming lb core. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It doesn't matter what grade YOU had on him. They had a 3rd Round Grade on him. We cut AJ Klein and have Tyrel Dodson as the next guy on the LB depth chart after Edmunds and Milano. Let's see how they use him and how he plays before we sh-t all over the pick.

Could’ve been a 4th round grade. The draft didn’t a fall great in the 3rd. Some players fans wanted were still there but not a whole lot.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The Bills lost Tre white, their best defensive player on the team, for the year in week 12…. They went on to have their best win/loss record of the season…. You can’t tell me they “needed a replacement” for AJ Klein in round 3. 😅

They WANTED a replacement for him. 

Good!!!

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

He reminds me a little bit of Darius Leonard. 

Im sorry I bashed this kid seeming how I didn’t know about him. Just from the short amount I’ve seen I really like it. So so decisive. Instincts out the wazoo. Definitely not an Edmunds so there is that. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I am second guessing this one. He could have been drafted in the 5th round. So many better choices were available. Time will tell. On paper, this sure looks like a huge reach. Don't like this pick one bit. 

This is the thinking that I disagree with. If he could've been drafted in the 5th round (or let's say late 4th) and everybody knew that, Beane obviously would've made the deals he needed to make to trade down. Once in a while we see truly weird picks (the Pats taking that UT-Chattanooga G was one this year) where there's no reason to believe they wouldn't last another couple rounds, but this is a rarity. Everyone sees the same tape, the same scouting reports, etc., etc., particularly from a program like Baylor.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Interesting - I will wait to see the plan, but I wonder if this signals further change in the defensive plans.

We drafted a press man corner with speed.  Do we start to transition to a 4-3-4, but with 1 deep safety, 2 CBs that can play man/Zone, and Taron as a slot coverage. 

We then have Milano and Bernard on the outside with speed and tackling to attack the edges of the offense and Edmunds patrolling middle.

Gives you coverage with DBs and Johnson - deep safety protection - and more size and speed at the LB position versus a 2nd safety.

Plus we struggled when Milano was injured - now you have that back-up also.

I get the WTF idea, but It seemed like before the White injury last year - they were adjusting the defense to be more aggressive.  I think with the speed and the lack of arm strength at QB in the division - maybe it gives a couple of guys that can help take away the quick routes better.

• Like (+1) 7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.