Rd 3, Pick 89 (25): LB Terrell Bernard, Baylor

Hapless Bills Fan

5 hours ago, DCofNC said:

1) you want Beane to get credit for identifying the Wyatt talent, but not take the blame for giving up an All-Pro for a 5th round pick… not how that works, but ok.

2) Thus far both Moss and Epenesa have been huge busts.

3) The line rotation is evidence that you have no talent, do we rotate Diggs, Allen, our entire OL out? No, there are clear starters.  Groot played well for a rookie, as I said, I like him, but is he genuinely a difference maker? Not yet.  I have high hopes for him.   The question mark for Boogie is just what you said, a second round pick spent on a DE who couldn’t really crack a pitifully untalented rotation.  If you refuse to believe the talent wasn’t  there, look at what happened in the off-season, the starter across from Groot, who got the MOST action, can’t find a job and the primary back up landed on the worst team in football after all the other options dried up.  That’s not good.

4) Oliver is still not producing at top 10 pick level, your argument is as dumb as arguing the Bills made the right pick by taking EJ Manuel in the first round, what other QB were they going to take that year?  Why take an average player at one position when there are plenty of others to take at…. Here it comes… one of the OTHER 21 starting positions.   Oliver is not any better than the other average guys taken at his position that year, which is bad enough, but look through all the players taken after him, there’s not one guy in the first 2 rounds you wouldn’t trade him for?  There are quite a few.  Drafting for need gets you a less talented roster.  I’ll take a Top 10 player at any position vs a mediocre player to fill a hole any day.  This is the problem with what the Bills have done under Beane.  ONE player they have drafted to fill a need has become great.  The rest are average to mediocre.  The talent they have passed on in the process, would have made a better team.

“So unless you're lumping Moss/Singletary into two separate groups to help prove your point, or are considering one of Harrison Phillips, Cody Ford, AJ Epenesa, Dawson Knox, Boogie Basham, or Spencer Brown to be an under sized “motor” guy, I'm not sure who you're talking about from Rounds 1-3.”

News flash, Singletary, Phillips, Epenesa, Basham are all less than ideal size/physical attributes (slow AF comes to mind) and all classified as motor guys.  Moss, known for effort (ie motor), but slow, also is not prototypical size, so they all fit in the same category.

Knox, athlete with issues, same for Brown, they worked out, which I have given credit for.

Ford? The guy who was said to be too slow to play OT, but they tried to make play OT? He’s not quite the same, but it’s more of a trying to be smarter than everyone else and it sure has not worked. 

This year he drafted 2 stud athletes with picks one and 2, I still don’t see Cook as a good pick, but whatever, then turned right back to the motor guy with no position for the 3rd round.  It’s a habit he can’t break and it hasn’t worked yet, so why keep pretending it has?

Beane's job is to build a championship team through whatever means possible, to include the draft, free agency, and trades. Last I looked, they are considered by many to have one of the most complete and balanced rosters in the NFL. Has he hit on every draft pick and free agent signed? Nope. There isn't a GM in the NFL that has. He drafted 31 players from 2018 through 2021. 22 (71%) are on this roster, with 9 starters (10 before Harrison left) and another 7 that have played significant snaps. 30 (97%) of those draft picks are on NFL rosters. Of the 8 that are on other rosters, 7 have started at least one game for other teams. 

As for Teller, yep, Beane should have never traded him. However, Beane's job is to try to find talent. It is the job of the coaches to develop that talent or utilize in the best way. While Beane has ultimate accountability, you can put most of the blame for Teller being traded on Juan Castillo.

And yet, here they are, favored to win the SB next year. It is not all because of Allen, but he is a major factor. Pretty sure Beane drafted him as well. My guess is that you did as much pissing and moaning about the Allen pick (and the draft capital Beane gave up to get him) as you have done in this thread.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/2/2022 at 4:17 PM, FilthyBeast said:

This is the only pick I truly hated this year for reasons likely beat to death already including another potential Creed Humphrey situation by not taking the obvious guy who was off the board right after our pick.

Also hate the Dick Jauron type fascination with smallish tweener type of players like this whose only real contribution may be on ST. When is this team going to learn that these type of guys are the reason physical teams like the Titans, Colts, etc continue to have our way with us? Also what is different with this guy that says he's going to be able to hold up in pass defense against the leagues elite QB's like Mahomes that continue to beat the Bills when it matters.

Obviously if this guy ends up being a legit NFL starter down the road so be it but on the surface it leaves a lot to be desired.

The pick wasn’t what I expected.  I was furious when I heard it announced. After some research and film time, I see why they drafted him.  I think he can specialize in two aspects, blitzing and coverage.  Maybe a reach, but we didn’t have a 4th.  I see it like we took Shakir rd 3 and Bernard rd 5.  Solid value for both.  I think he’s going to contribute….as long as he’s healthy.  That’s the one thing that gets me about the pick.  Injuries have been an issue. 

• Like (+1) 1

Value in the draft is a made up thing.  It doesnt matter where you draft a guy.  Does he fit the scheme can he play.  First 3 rd should be playing.  Can Bernard play?  Yes.  Alot?  Probably not.  When they go 4-3 I expect he has more than a shot to be the third lb.  He provides better coverage skills than the other backers behind Edmunds and Milano.  The perception of the pick is neg because many want a Edmunds replacement.  He is not.  I think he is the special team ace third baker on the cheap to allow the team to extend Edmunds. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

The pick wasn’t what I expected.  I was furious when I heard it announced. After some research and film time, I see why they drafted him.  I think he can specialize in two aspects, blitzing and coverage.  Maybe a reach, but we didn’t have a 4th.  I see it like we took Shakir rd 3 and Bernard rd 5.  Solid value for both.  I think he’s going to contribute….as long as he’s healthy.  That’s the one thing that gets me about the pick.  Injuries have been an issue. 

I agree after the emotions came back down and looking at this pick, it is a solid one. He can play AJ Klein’s spot in base. He can replace Edmonds on third and long plays. And he’s insurance if/when Milano gets injured. And should be a solid player on 4th downs. He is the Buffalo 🦬 nickel I’ve wanted for years too.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.