Rd 3, Pick 89 (25): LB Terrell Bernard, Baylor

Hapless Bills Fan

23 hours ago, Mopreme said:

I trust Joe Marino and he doesn’t like the pick in the 3rd round. 

So you trust Joe Marino more than Brandon Beane. The same Joe Marino than liked Josh Rosen over Josh Allen? I like Joe Marino listen to him every day but he’s no Brandon Beane. Trust the Process would ya 😳

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Darryl Williams was absolute trash this past year.  The guy didn't even know the snap count with the game on the line vs the Jags and never got out of his stance.  Not enough push and just a disaster. 

Saffold is far stronger way more push and just so much better than Williams was this past year is not funny.

Don't try to say it's debatable if he's an upgrade come on get real.  Darryl Williams should have been doing glad bag commercial last year.

The only game you saw Rodger Saffold play in last year was the Bills/Titans game.  

Let me educate you. 

They graded out pretty similarly except in the most important ability..............availability.

Daryl Williams played 98% of the Bills offensive snaps and moved between two positions........playing almost 300 more snaps than Rodger Saffold.

Saffold basically missed 5 games worth of snaps.

That's because he was constantly leaving games last year with his chronic shoulder injury.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was pissed until I saw the metrics showing explosion, speed, and agility all being great or elite. Sounds like a big nickel sub guy or an Alexander blitz and cover specialty weapon to me.    You can draft this when your team is stacked. We his tells me they never felt like there was anyone in this round that was going to be a starter challenger.

21 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Darryl Williams was absolute trash this past year.  The guy didn't even know the snap count with the game on the line vs the Jags and never got out of his stance.  Not enough push and just a disaster.

Disagree.  Williams blew as an RT last year, but he did much better as a RG.

As for the snap count, communication is a two-way street

I think Saffold is an upgrade as a run blocker, but his pass blocking was poor last season and has historically not been his best attribute.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He’s not a guy you want in coverage historically, but if it was a focus he has the smarts to do it.

What I mean is: I assume Edmunds and Milano are still on the field most plays. Von will be too.  So is Von lining up vs the OT or is he lining up behind a DE and rushing. I suppose we can mix in lots of looks

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Is this Defense moving to more hybrid 4-3 looks?  Von is really not a DE. He’s an Edge OLB. His hand is never in the dirt

Whether his hand is in the dirt, or he's in a 2-point stance doesn't matter much. He's on the edge in an even front (predominant 1-gap scheme). I don't think the old 4-3 and 3-4 definitions are as applicable as they once were. A rush OLB in a 3-4 translates to a DE in a 4-3. A DE in a 3-4 is usually equivalent to a DT in a 4-3. Even in the Bills D, you've probably noticed Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison standing up over the years. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

He has speed, he’s obviously incredibly smart, and his measurables compare to Thomas Davis, except Bernard put up 10 more on the bench at 22 reps if I read that correctly earlier? Not sure what’s not to love, fast, cover skills, can obviously tackle judging by his Sugar Bowl MVP performance, intelligent and stronger than his build implies.

With all the hating on Edmunds, the complete lack of depth at LB, and this kids huge upside, why is anybody butthurt over this pick again?  It’s almost like people forgot the LB corps McBeane helped put together in Carolina, they MIGHT know a thing or two about linebackers.

Bernard's RAS is actually MUCH better than Davis (9+ vs 6+). They're essentially the same size coming out of college, similar straight line speed, but Bernard is a stronger and more explosive athlete. For what it's worth. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Bernard's RAS is actually MUCH better than Davis (9+ vs 6+). They're essentially the same size coming out of college, similar straight line speed, but Bernard is a stronger and more explosive athlete. For what it's worth. 

Milano was similar size aswell.  Darius Leonard is smaller.  People want to move on from Edmunds.  Many prefer Milano to Edmunds.  Beane drafts a guy like Milano.  Fans, whoa bad pick.  I never heard of him. Im also no a pro scout.  No one heard of Milano, Taron Johnson, or Gabe Davis either. They felt strongly to invest a pretty high pick in him in a position of need.  I think he plays sooner rather than later.  He shows enough I could see him playing Will and move Milano to mike if Edmunds isnt extended. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I did see his Sugar Bowl performance but didn't initially put the face (number) to the name. Saw him in a couple games through out the season last year and from that little exposure and seeing his measurables from the combine he's a Milano type of LB. High motor, all over the field, great athleticism. We won't know anything until we see how the Bills plan on utilizing him in their scheme. Is he a back up or rotational? Who does he come in for? Edmunds? Milano? 3rd backer? It will be interesting to watch this offseason. My hope is that he gives the staff enough that they feel they can move on from Edmunds, who has been mediocre his entire career and has yet to develop in the Kuchely type of MLB everyone swore he would.

1 minute ago, Luka said:

...Who does he come in for? Edmunds? Milano? ...

Why would we take Milano out ever? hes a 4 down linebacker and the best we have at the position. Edmunds should be coming out on passing downs, when he doesnt it kills us.

Left out the first part... BACKUP OR ROTATIONAL. If he's a backup, I would assume he would come in for Milano if he gets hurt. If he's rotational I would assume it was Edmunds he'd replace due to his cover skills or he could come in as the 3rd backer. 

Sorry I forgot I was on the internet, where people read/hear what they want to.

13 hours ago, Locomark said:

I was pissed until I saw the metrics showing explosion, speed, and agility all being great or elite. Sounds like a big nickel sub guy or an Alexander blitz and cover specialty weapon to me.    You can draft this when your team is stacked. We his tells me they never felt like there was anyone in this round that was going to be a starter challenger.

The team is far from stacked at the OL. But its time to move on. Hopefully this kid can be the AJ Klein role on the cheap this year.

19 minutes ago, Luka said:

Left out the first part... BACKUP OR ROTATIONAL. If he's a backup, I would assume he would come in for Milano if he gets hurt. If he's rotational I would assume it was Edmunds he'd replace due to his cover skills or he could come in as the 3rd backer. 

Sorry I forgot I was on the internet, where people read/hear what they want to.

Edmunds never leaves the field. I rag on him all the time, but the dude is durable and plays in every defensive alignment. He even lines up outside three or four snaps a game. 

• Like (+1) 1

Scout quotes per long-time Packers and NFL beat writer, Bob McGinn:

AFC scout: “He’s better than the Wyoming guy (Chad Muma) but he’s little and he had a broken shoulder last year. He is a football-playin’ dude. A great kid, and really, really smart. Remember, Dat Nguyen was 218 at his pro day, too.”

NFC scout: “He’s just little. He’s got some quickness. He’s extraordinarily smart. Great makeup. He’s a leader. He’s an alpha. But he’s small, and in the NFL they start running power at you. They’re going to make you go straight down the pipe and take on that 330-pound pulling guard. He’s going to get bounced around. He’s tough, but he’s not strong. I wish I could say I liked him more. Put it this way: if he succeeds, it wouldn’t surprise me. He’s the type of guy that will find a way.”

AFC scout: “It wouldn’t surprise me if he could wear the green dot.”

NFC scout: “He can wear the green dot.”

AFC scout: “Undersized guy but he’s a good player. Late pick. He ran in the 4.5s. Best in space and laterally. He can rush the passer. Times his blitzes. Drops easy. Can cover.”

NFC scout: “Small guy that plays hard but very limited. He got beat up trying to take on. Not a very good athlete. He knows how to play. He’s got instincts. Free agent.”

AFC scout: “He can wear the green dot. Really smart. Just a really good player. Undersized, a little stiff, little limited in space. He just really has a nose for the ball and he always finds it. I do think he’ll be a low-end starter. You’ll want better but it’s hard to find teams that have three linebackers better than him.”

NFC scout: “He’s a versatile, every-down starter if he’s able to gain weight and stay healthy. All ball all the time. Confident, but not arrogant. Hard practice player. He’s the type you would hire to be a coach after he is done playing.”

AFC scout: “Definitely he could wear the green dot.”

NFC scout: “He’s too small and doesn’t make enough plays for me. Fifth or sixth round.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, junior said:

Scout quotes per long-time Packers and NFL beat writer, Bob McGinn:

AFC scout: “He’s better than the Wyoming guy (Chad Muma) but he’s little and he had a broken shoulder last year. He is a football-playin’ dude. A great kid, and really, really smart. Remember, Dat Nguyen was 218 at his pro day, too.”

NFC scout: “He’s just little. He’s got some quickness. He’s extraordinarily smart. Great makeup. He’s a leader. He’s an alpha. But he’s small, and in the NFL they start running power at you. They’re going to make you go straight down the pipe and take on that 330-pound pulling guard. He’s going to get bounced around. He’s tough, but he’s not strong. I wish I could say I liked him more. Put it this way: if he succeeds, it wouldn’t surprise me. He’s the type of guy that will find a way.”

AFC scout: “It wouldn’t surprise me if he could wear the green dot.”

NFC scout: “He can wear the green dot.”

AFC scout: “Undersized guy but he’s a good player. Late pick. He ran in the 4.5s. Best in space and laterally. He can rush the passer. Times his blitzes. Drops easy. Can cover.”

NFC scout: “Small guy that plays hard but very limited. He got beat up trying to take on. Not a very good athlete. He knows how to play. He’s got instincts. Free agent.”

AFC scout: “He can wear the green dot. Really smart. Just a really good player. Undersized, a little stiff, little limited in space. He just really has a nose for the ball and he always finds it. I do think he’ll be a low-end starter. You’ll want better but it’s hard to find teams that have three linebackers better than him.”

NFC scout: “He’s a versatile, every-down starter if he’s able to gain weight and stay healthy. All ball all the time. Confident, but not arrogant. Hard practice player. He’s the type you would hire to be a coach after he is done playing.”

AFC scout: “Definitely he could wear the green dot.”

NFC scout: “He’s too small and doesn’t make enough plays for me. Fifth or sixth round.”

Not bad feedback, I think character is key with him. He'll fight all the way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.