Rd 3, Pick 89 (25): LB Terrell Bernard, Baylor

Hapless Bills Fan

Only slightly surprised/disappointed that it wasn't Chad Muma of Wyoming. The guy played in a similar defense in Wyoming, has a nose for hunting down the ball carrier, and is comfortable in pass defense or rush defense. But, Jacksonville got him instead. For Terrell Bernard, should be interesting to see how he does.

14a.jpg

In my eyes, the third round is where you take that homerun swing. You don't make the "safe" pick here. You look for the guy that has those intangibles that most people at his position do not have. Bernard is that homerun pick, his intangibles are speed, leadership, instincts and plays bigger than he is.
Speed: McD and Beane both have said they need to get faster, for the linebacker position this guy is fast at a 4.59 40, he uses that speed both down hill at blitzing and sideline to sideline in coverage. He makes good tackles and does not get beat in coverage. 

Leadership: you hear from every coach and player at baylor that is interviewed that Bernard is that guy they will go to war for. He is intelligent and has that "it" factor

Instincts: there are 2 highlights of him that sell this for me, him blowing up the WR screen, he is there as the ball is arriving from the WIL LB spot, next is the interception where he covers the Hook route in the middle and then breaks on the ball for the INT. You can not teach these reactions 

While he may look small he hits big. 

Calling it now, the Cover WIL LB will be the new thing in the modern NFL, basically will be a big Safety that plays in the box. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Exactly and quite honestly, outside of CB (which we drafted) and Punter (assume we draft one later) there are not any positions really where we are not locked in this year in terms of starters.  

Im actually not that familiar with Bernard like most, but I have really liked what I have read and seen so far.  He really stands out as a Milano type player, and that excites me as Milano has flourished in our system.  Which is probably why he has a higher grade on Beanes board as his tweener size isn’t a deterrent to them the way they have developed Milano.

Just for conversations sake ,since he is surely not Milano's replacement for next few years ? Where does he fit ?
Btw I like the pick the more I learn. Typical Beanes wizardry over us fans lol.
 I miss the days of smart gap shooting disciplined ILBs who can blow up the run at the the los and you can hear the pads crashing.
We olde f'rs have been passed by :D Game has moved on 
Fast lateral, taking angles and his coverage skills. sure tackler and instinctive/ I like the Kid

Go Bills

If there was ever a comp for Terrell Bernard it would be Milano.   Both “undersized” coming out college, good speed, agility, downhill attackers, good coverage ability and excellent blitzers.

I keep reading that this could be the replacement of Milano.   I don’t see it that way at all, Milano Is a stud and I don’t see him going anywhere.   I’m pretty sure if there was a Milano exact clone that they both would be out on the field a lot together at the expense of Edmunds.   This defense doesn’t differentiate the roles all that much between Edmunds and Milano and from my perspective Milano is clearly the better player out of the two.   

Terrell Bernard has an opportunity to eventually be one of the two starting LB’s, in the meantime he just needs to get adjusted to the pro game, hit the gym hard with a similar weight gain regiment as Milano, be excellent in Special teams and show out when his number is called.    I think this going to be a sneaky good pick for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

He has speed, he’s obviously incredibly smart, and his measurables compare to Thomas Davis, except Bernard put up 10 more on the bench at 22 reps if I read that correctly earlier? Not sure what’s not to love, fast, cover skills, can obviously tackle judging by his Sugar Bowl MVP performance, intelligent and stronger than his build implies.

With all the hating on Edmunds, the complete lack of depth at LB, and this kids huge upside, why is anybody butthurt over this pick again?  It’s almost like people forgot the LB corps McBeane helped put together in Carolina, they MIGHT know a thing or two about linebackers.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

If there was ever a comp for Terrell Bernard it would be Milano.   Both “undersized” coming out college, good speed, agility, downhill attackers, good coverage ability and excellent blitzers.

I keep reading that this could be the replacement of Milano.   I don’t see it that way at all, Milano Is a stud and I don’t see him going anywhere.   I’m pretty sure if there was a Milano exact clone that they both would be out on the field a lot together at the expense of Edmunds.   This defense doesn’t differentiate the roles all that much between Edmunds and Milano and from my perspective Milano is clearly the better player out of the two.   

Terrell Bernard has an opportunity to eventually be one of the two starting LB’s, in the meantime he just needs to get adjusted to the pro game, hit the gym hard with a similar weight gain regiment as Milano, be excellent in Special teams and show out when his number is called.    I think this going to be a sneaky good pick for the Bills.

Somewhat strangely, LB’s and DB’s seem to be going the way of college basketball. Most of the top college hoops recruits are 6’5”-6’8” and are “position-less”. Everybody can switch and cover anybody. Sure, it’s not entirely like that, but to a large extent we are blending size and speed so you can do a little bit of everything. 

Long gone are the days of the big, slow, thumping MLB and the other guys who are restricted to certain limited roles. LB’s need to cover TE’s and RB’s and CB’s need to tackle. Safeties need to come down into the box and plug the running game. The new NFL requires new kinds of players. 

I trust our FO and like our draft!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

He has speed, he’s obviously incredibly smart, and his measurables compare to Thomas Davis, except Bernard put up 10 more on the bench at 22 reps if I read that correctly earlier? Not sure what’s not to love, fast, cover skills, can obviously tackle judging by his Sugar Bowl MVP performance, intelligent and stronger than his build implies.

With all the hating on Edmunds, the complete lack of depth at LB, and this kids huge upside, why is anybody butthurt over this pick again?  It’s almost like people forgot the LB corps McBeane helped put together in Carolina, they MIGHT know a thing or two about linebackers.

I think for most it's the reach to the third that bothered people, rather than the pick itself. But I think that's been offset by stealing Shakir in the fifth.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Engelwood said:

In my eyes, the third round is where you take that homerun swing. You don't make the "safe" pick here. You look for the guy that has those intangibles that most people at his position do not have. Bernard is that homerun pick, his intangibles are speed, leadership, instincts and plays bigger than he is.
Speed: McD and Beane both have said they need to get faster, for the linebacker position this guy is fast at a 4.59 40, he uses that speed both down hill at blitzing and sideline to sideline in coverage. He makes good tackles and does not get beat in coverage. 

Leadership: you hear from every coach and player at baylor that is interviewed that Bernard is that guy they will go to war for. He is intelligent and has that "it" factor

Instincts: there are 2 highlights of him that sell this for me, him blowing up the WR screen, he is there as the ball is arriving from the WIL LB spot, next is the interception where he covers the Hook route in the middle and then breaks on the ball for the INT. You can not teach these reactions 

While he may look small he hits big. 

Calling it now, the Cover WIL LB will be the new thing in the modern NFL, basically will be a big Safety that plays in the box. 

Nice post. That about covers it...this is a great example of a hand picked draft pick! Bernard and Elam are my two favorite picks!

• Like (+1) 1

im stoked on this pick. worst case scenario, he checks the boxes that Edmunds does, while struggling with the same thing, getting off blocks. Hes speedy enough to avoid more blockers though. I think most realistic scenario, theyre mostly a wash, minus $15m cap, decisive , effective blitzer, and higher ceiling. I'm all about this pick

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Just for conversations sake ,since he is surely not Milano's replacement for next few years ? Where does he fit ?
Btw I like the pick the more I learn. Typical Beanes wizardry over us fans lol.
 I miss the days of smart gap shooting disciplined ILBs who can blow up the run at the the los and you can hear the pads crashing.
We olde f'rs have been passed by :D Game has moved on 
Fast lateral, taking angles and his coverage skills. sure tackler and instinctive/ I like the Kid

Go Bills

special teamer and third lb/package player? And first guy off the bench?

Edited by NoSaint
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Saffold is 5 years older than Daryl Williams,  he can't play tackle like Williams and he was pretty banged up last year.

Whether he is any kind of improvement or just a downgrade from what Daryl Williams provided is very debatable and the deal he got seemed mighty generous for a guy who TN was quick to move on from.

Darryl Williams was absolute trash this past year.  The guy didn't even know the snap count with the game on the line vs the Jags and never got out of his stance.  Not enough push and just a disaster. 

Saffold is far stronger way more push and just so much better than Williams was this past year is not funny.

Don't try to say it's debatable if he's an upgrade come on get real.  Darryl Williams should have been doing glad bag commercial last year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.