Rd 3, Pick 89 (25): LB Terrell Bernard, Baylor

Hapless Bills Fan

15 minutes ago, eball said:

Perfect fit for this defense.  Essentially a Milano clone.  I don’t care where he was or should have been drafted.

If this is what the Bills are looking for...then they found him. I think he will be good!

2 hours ago, Mopreme said:

I don’t have a problem with the player. I have a problem with where they picked him.  Day 2 guys should be impact starters at a confirmed position or close to it unless the guy has ridiculous upside but needs a year to get adjusted (e.g. small school guy).     

That’s your problem, your expectations are out of wack with reality:

”A couple of interesting notes from the graph. First, picking at the end of the second round only gives your team a 50% chance of finding a starter. Going towards the end of the round 3, your chance of finding a starter falls to ~30%.”

https://www.ideo.com/datascope/the-chance-of-a-bust-in-the-nfl-draft

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

He may well be a tweener.

But part of the whole different animal that the NFL is ... is that more and more tweeners are finding homes and becoming terrific players in today's NFL.

"He wasn't on anyone's radar"? That's utter nonsense. He was on many people's radar. Not the Bills so much because Bills fans had different ideas about what the Bills needed and wanted than Beane does. Beane - and everyone, really - have included LB on Bills need lists. Many fans thought that meant they wanted to replace Tremaine, but clearly what Beane meant was that he wanted to replace Klein and at the same time get some desperately needed quality backup talent in there for Milano and Tremaine.

Not on anyone's radar? Except for Cowboy fans, Steeler fans, Bears fans, Giants fans, Raiders fans ... and I could go on and on and on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cowboys/comments/sxihpv/a_cowboys_mock_draft/

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2022/4/4/23009076/what-could-a-defensive-focused-draft-look-like-for-the-steelers-pittsburgh-stingley-davis-bryant-nfl

https://ontapsportsnet.com/2022/04/27/chicago-bears-mock-draft-down-to-the-wire-nfl-draft-2022/

https://flipboard.com/video/fannation/1b0777642a

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/linebackers-land-squarely-raiders-draft-211515946.html

By your own accounts most had him projected as a 4th, 5th, and 6th round pick. To boot, you cherry picked this info from umpteen sources to try to support your viewpoint. It's no singing endorsement for the Bills 3rd round selection. No way should this guy have been selected on the 3rd round! Unless you like Beane reaches?

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No. It wasn't "by far a better pick." You say that like it's a fact when reality is we'll know in three years or so.

Your opinion is that it's a better pick? Hey fair enough, to each their own.

If he turns out to be a 3rd round special teamer and Parham doesn't turn into a JAG or worse, you'll be right. Both of those outcomes might happen, but there's no particular reason to think we know for sure.

Didn't think I had to clarify myself. "On paper" Parham was the better pick. Parham went where he was projected to go. For whatever that's worth. Bernard went 1 to 3 rounds before his projected draft position. Sure it's relative and not an exact science. Obviously, Beane had him valued way way more than most. In essence, he drafted a guy in the third round that he probably could have gotten in the 5th. Sorry I can't get behind that kind of thinking. 

5 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

How do you know Parham will be a better pick?  Can you see into the future?  Please enlighten us

I don't. I do know he was projected to go in the 3rd round unlike Bernard. Take that for whatever it's worth. Generally speaking, I don't like selecting guys 1 to 3 rounds before their projected value. Think Daniel Jones as a reference. 

At first the pick had me scratching my head. I thought a guard or a safety would have been the pick.

Then I remembered that the Bills never replaced Klein and that, even though they're a base nickel, they DO still need a viable third linebacker.

I also remembered that Milano can tend to miss a bit of time due to injury here and there, and in general, it's a good thing to have a guy who can fill in at MIKE or WILL if Edmunds or Milano gets dinged up.

Lastly, I view this more as an indication that the Bills will re-sign Edmunds and potentially let Milano walk. They won't want to have a ton of money tied up in the linebacker position, but I don't see Bernard as an Edmunds replacement. I see him as a Milano clone and eventual Milano replacement.

Lastly, the fact that McDermott is really tight with Baylor coach Dave Aranda, who surely gave Bernard a ringing endorsement, and the fact that Bernard is said to be a tremendous "heart and soul" team leader with impeccable football IQ and extremely high character were surely the deciding factors on this one. 

This is one of those picks that seem a bit curious on draft night but then, a few years down the road, is a staple of our football team. I think he's gonna be a player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The defense gets embarrassed over and over again against quality offenses. We know their top ranking last year was deceiving. Simply adding more speed and athleticism, at any position, was a need. Bernard accomplishes that much. The question is third round value which was poor.

So having slept on it I'm still unimpressed with the pick. Bernard himself looks to have promise but as a fourth or fifth round pick, not a third. He's a reach and I don't think we're in a position where we needed to reach.

I hope he is a steal and this thread will be treated like Josh's draft thread in the lore of TBD. Cook was a round too early but I can accept it; we needed a RB and he shows promise. We have someone where Beane has picked the player, thrown him at the coaches and told them to get the best out of him. In the third.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.