Rd 3, Pick 89 (25): LB Terrell Bernard, Baylor

Hapless Bills Fan

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Owuso-koramoah is quicker as evidenced by his much better 3-cone and shuttle times vs Bernard.

Owuso-Koromoah had a RAS score of 8.71. Bernard had a slightly higher RAS score of 8.87. We can split hairs on athletic measurables all day.  They're both undersized, rangy LBs with a nose for making plays. But one went to Notre Dame and got talked up in several mock drafts in the months leading up to the draft. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Owuso-koramoah is quicker as evidenced by his much better 3-cone and shuttle times vs Bernard.

I wouldn’t call it much better.  

According to the RAS rankings they are both “elite” at the 3 cone and shuttle time 

48 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I would of loved this Pk in the 5th 

I would have taken this opinion seriously but something is telling me I shouldn’t.

1 minute ago, Magox said:

I wouldn’t call it much better.  

According to the RAS rankings they are both “elite” at the 3 cone and shuttle time 

Maybe the other guy is eliter.

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

I would have taken this opinion seriously but something is telling me I shouldn’t.

Maybe the other guy is eliter.

He has better scores but Bernard’s are around the top 10 percentile.  It’s certainly an area of strength for him.

59 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I don't think we want him to gain weight. I think he is gonna be our Big nickle rather than a usual Linebacker. We are gonna use him to cover TEs. He will be likely be rotating with Taron Johnson. If teams go WR heavy then Taron will be in field but if a team goes TE heavy we need someone bigger to be able to cover and i think thats where Bernard rotates in. 

Maybe, maybe not.   If you heard what Brandon said about him it appears they aren’t sure yet either.    

They like his production, blitzing ability, leadership and athleticism.   They’ll most likely use him initially on special teams and just see how his body of work and athleticism fits in to what they are trying to do and just kind of figure it out as they go on how to best use him.

I wrote in another thread, but should’ve written here is the PFF guys do a weekend show on NFLR, that Bernard is more a dime defense secondary type dude meant for the running teams and heavy TE teams.  I thought it was interesting take.  As an aside they raved about our 1st and 2nd round picks.  I’m not used to PFF guys speaking this highly of the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

Pro Football Focus on Sirius XM just stated Bernard is one of the most dynamic LB's in this draft. The Bills don't have many snaps to hand out to rookies but believe Bernard will get snaps on obvious passing downs because of his coverage skills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree. McBeane didn't take this guy without having a vision for him.  He's a playmaker, and McDermott will find ways for him to make plays. 

Another great example of how a player evolves and how he is found. Someone mentioned that Beane is friends with Baylor coach Dave Aranda. How sometimes a missing piece may be under the radar.

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Magox said:

Maybe, maybe not.   If you heard what Brandon said about him it appears they aren’t sure yet either.    

They like his production, blitzing ability, leadership and athleticism.   They’ll most likely use him initially on special teams and just see how his body of work and athleticism fits in to what they are trying to do and just kind of figure it out as they go on how to best use him.

That is exactly what you don’t want to hear about a third round pick. It reads like a fifth round prospect unfortunately.

Edited by Airseven
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

Pro Football Focus on Sirius XM just stated Bernard is one of the most dynamic LB's in this draft. The Bills don't have many snaps to hand out to rookies but believe Bernard will get snaps on obvious passing downs because of his coverage skills.

I think most people don’t have an issue with the player. Seems to fit a need and has nice skill set.  I think the issue is that they (including me) aren’t thrilled on picking him in the third. I, for example, was pounding the table for the guard from Memphis who ironically was taken a pick later by the Raiders.   I also liked the safety from Maryland.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Wait a minute....so round 1 an athletic corner, with man/zone press skills and recovery speed.

Then now this is round 3, an instinctive cover LB who can lock up on TEs.

Seems like we are trying to fix something that must have been a glaring weakness against KC.

Not sure why so many feel the need to say "I had so and so as a 6th rounder", or what value is he going to bring.  Hello, Beane and staff know what they're doing, and have a plan to keep adding the necessary pieces to put us over the top.

I'm sure if you go back and rematch thr KC game, our lack of speed on defense will stand out in more than 1 occasion.  We needed to fix that, and our physicality at the DT spots...check and check

The lack of speed was evident in the AFCC game a year earlier. The Bills spent the entire game seconds behind chasing the Chiefs all over the field!

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

?

Mine was in my Notes app

“Literally”?  Cool that you have access to every team’s board to know whose radar he wasn’t on. I’ll take Beane’s island for 100.

none of us know anything - best to not speak in absolutes at this point in time. 

I absolutely hate the pick. How's that?

I’m surprised he wasn’t graded higher. Sounds like one of the smartest, hard working LBs in the draft AND he’s an exceptional athlete AND he was super productive against good competition in college. 

Most 225 pound LBs struggle vs the run and getting eaten up by big blockers coming out of school.

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.