last two seasons in college 13 sacks 118 tackles

Terrell Bernard:

6 foot 3/4 of an inch

222 lbs

4.59 40 time

last two seasons 11 sacks and 158 tackles

Terrell will easily gain 5-10 lbs without giving up anything athletically

Perspective

I don't think we want him to gain weight. I think he is gonna be our Big nickle rather than a usual Linebacker. We are gonna use him to cover TEs. He will be likely be rotating with Taron Johnson. If teams go WR heavy then Taron will be in field but if a team goes TE heavy we need someone bigger to be able to cover and i think thats where Bernard rotates in. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Question for the draft experts here who don't like the pick: what makes Bernard so much different from the athletic but undersized LB prospect Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah from last year? I think a lot of people would have been thrilled with getting in the 3rd round (he went in the 2nd).

Is it me or is name recognition the biggest difference?

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

True, but it isn’t that most anyone they picked would sit behind someone for a time, my concern is that it is a stretch to see him ever developing into more than a sub-package coverage guy and special teamer.  I realize that there is only about a 25% chance of finding an eventual starter that late in round 3.

When you look at our current roster, you ask yourself, who you would sit?  So at LB, you are looking at a backup.  Plus I have so much faith in our coaching and training staff to develop these players.  Beane said that they look for football "traits" in these players.  You can't coach those.  They want instinctive football players on defense and Bernard fits that.  So does Elam.  

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nah,  Kiper is actually quite good.

Is he though? 

I've tried to find his past "big board" to compare to how players actually worked out, and couldn't. Maybe they're available on some paywall site? 

What is Kiper's success percentage (let's say, players he listed in the first 3 rounds turning into capable NFL players within 3 years, which is a pretty low bar)

10 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Dude certainly checks a lot of the boxes for them, experience, character, leadership, productive, etc. It doesn’t appear to be the most popular pick but I’m gonna wait and see how they utilize the guy and how they coach him up and all that. Again, BBB gets the benefit of the doubt from me, way more hits than misses. It ain’t exactly the Cadillac of prospect groups for this year either so…

I would of loved this Pk in the 5th 

• Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, LEBills said:

We knew hey were going to draft a LB bc all the sniffing around they did pre-draft. He has some talent. Backup off ball LB (we played 2 LBs 90% of the time last year) in the 3rd is just not the best asset allocation is all.

When I first saw it I thought Lorenzo Alexander replacement. Just a jack of all trades guy with good instincts and character. Plus it seems like they see him backing up both spots, I don't think they see him as just a backup, he's  another piece to make the defense more multiple.i assume they saw something in the kc game where they could use him. Maybe they think he is a better match up on Kelce?

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is he though? 

I've tried to find his past "big board" to compare to how players actually worked out, and couldn't. Maybe they're available on some paywall site? 

What is Kiper's success percentage (let's say, players he listed in the first 3 rounds turning into capable NFL players within 3 years, which is a pretty low bar)

There are multiple ways to judge a drafnik's takes...........team/pick accuracy,  draft board v where picked,  player performance...........and even then there is always the aspect of whether the player ended up in a good place to develop(which we are going to have to hope is the saving grace of this seemingly poor value draft by the Bills so far).

I've seen analysis done where Kiper ranks surprisingly well but the burden of such proof falls on the person who first declares the opposite.     That's something I could spend an hour on and get a "pffft" as a response.   Serves the board better to point out his adamant defense of the Josh Allen pick against all comers.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

People need to remember that a lot of these ESPN scouts are ESPN scouts for a reason. If these guys were good at evaluating talent they would be making a hell of a lot more money working for an nfl team. 

The average salary of an NFL scout is $45k to $95k per year. Mel Kiper makes over $400k per year.

• Haha (+1) 1

The guy’s athletic measurables are top tier. His intangibles are top-tier. In college all he did was make plays. What’s the problem with so many of you? And the pick was made by, arguably, the best GM in the league, not the coach!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

Gotta fill out the roster.  People are forgetting that we dont need a 3rd round pick to "start off the bus" anymore.

If the guy can play outside where Klein was and become a ST Ace where we dont have to sign Taiwan Jones and Matakevich type players who give you nothing outside of teams, than I say its a great pick.  If he doesnt pan out he will be like 60% of draft picks.  Its all a crap shoot but I am going to go ahead and trust our front office, theyve earned that from me.   Even if Joe Marino hates the pick.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We need a S replacement likely soon, and we pass on Nick Cross? That’s a head scratcher. 

Only saw the highlights shown on TV last night and haven’t done much research, but between the highlights, measurables and his testing, it seems like this guy might be in the safety replacement conversation 

This pick is the admission of Edmunds pick being an error. He's the polar opposite.

He has all the instincts and less of the physical wow.

The bills by picking him are admitting that instincts are more important then physical traits if its close.

Think about what he said. " he will be teaching the defense in short order"

Bills linebackers are the leaders of thr defense.

Maybe they convert him to safety but it's looking more like Edmunds may be out.

Edited by Sharky7337

Pretty much all these third round linebackers are the same sort of build - 6’0 - 6’1” 220-230 pounds.

He was productive and is athletic.

The run on WRs was disappointing in the 2nd, especially KC getting Sky Moore, leading us to draft a part-time RB.

The WR grades are off a cliff at this point. Now get back up OLine, CB, S.

The WR idea vanished before our eyes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Brother Hesekiah said:

Question for the draft experts here who don't like the pick: what makes Bernard so much different from the athletic but undersized LB prospect Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah from last year? I think a lot of people would have been thrilled with getting in the 3rd round (he went in the 2nd).

Is it me or is name recognition the biggest difference?

Owuso-koramoah is quicker as evidenced by his much better 3-cone and shuttle times vs Bernard.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.