Rd 3, Pick 89 (25): LB Terrell Bernard, Baylor

Hapless Bills Fan

9 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Well this pick should help calm speculation of what the Bills are going to do with Edmunds.

?

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

I don't remember any Terrel Brandon Please threads

Mine was in my Notes app

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

He is a tweener. The NFL is a whole different animal then the Big 12. Literally, this guy was not on anyone's radar. Beane is on his own island here. 

“Literally”?  Cool that you have access to every team’s board to know whose radar he wasn’t on. I’ll take Beane’s island for 100.

none of us know anything - best to not speak in absolutes at this point in time. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

?

Mine was in my Notes app

“Literally”?  Cool that you have access to every team’s board to know whose radar he wasn’t on. I’ll take Beane’s island for 100.

none of us know anything - best to not speak in absolutes at this point in time. 

I was joking, some people might see LB and 3rd round and think it has something to do with Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 1

Parham was a by far better pick. The Raiders ran to the podium with the very next pick and selected him. They should at least give Beane a little present for that gift. Instead, the may have a solid 3rd round special teamer. Does it really matter when they kick the ball in the end zone? 

No. It wasn't "by far a better pick." You say that like it's a fact when reality is we'll know in three years or so.

Your opinion is that it's a better pick? Hey fair enough, to each their own.

If he turns out to be a 3rd round special teamer and Parham doesn't turn into a JAG or worse, you'll be right. Both of those outcomes might happen, but there's no particular reason to think we know for sure.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I agree with everything here.  Especially the desperation of so many to draft a wr, I don't understand.  We've replaced Beasley with Crowder which is realistically an upgrade - and added Cook as another receiving option/weapon.  Not to mention Davis' surging as legit  (maybe elite) wr talent.  We are probably better off in the receiving game than last year - were people gnashing and screaming last year that our receiving game sucked?

OJ Howard & Duke Johnson for the pass game too 

I know very little about all of these college prospects but I noticed that not too long after our third round pick the Browns took David Bell, WR from Purdue. I watched a few of his games last year and that kid caught like a thousand passes (kidding). I forgot all about him during the run up to the draft. Anyone know what his downside was? 

Edited by SoCal Deek

I am not sure what their plan is for Bernard.  Potential replacement for Milano or safety candidate?  If they took him in the third round they likely view him as more than a ST contributor and occasional big nickel role player long term, although that may be his initial role.  He look like more of a safety to me.

9 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

yeah somehow i sat on the remote and switched to that instead of nfl network and realized it after they were like "and bills picked bernard, moving on to the raiders" with literally nothing on the guy.

What a waste of Kyle Brandt’s moment!! Hell, I wish he would’ve just read his name 😎

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I know very little about all of these college prospects but I noticed that not too long after our third round pick the Browns took David Bell, WR from Purdue. I watched a few of his games last year and that kid caught like a thousand passes (kidding). I forgot all about him during the run up to the draft. Anyone know what his downside was? 

Slow and doesn’t get separation. Hes not big, or fast. Just an ordinary player as he projects to the nfl. He was a pretty big recruit a few years ago, Ohio state had interest but he chose Purdue because he knew he wouldn’t get the targets at Ohio state. He made the most of his time at Purdue, a really good college WR. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

He is a tweener. The NFL is a whole different animal then the Big 12. Literally, this guy was not on anyone's radar. Beane is on his own island here. 

He may well be a tweener.

But part of the whole different animal that the NFL is ... is that more and more tweeners are finding homes and becoming terrific players in today's NFL.

"He wasn't on anyone's radar"? That's utter nonsense. He was on many people's radar. Not the Bills so much because Bills fans had different ideas about what the Bills needed and wanted than Beane does. Beane - and everyone, really - have included LB on Bills need lists. Many fans thought that meant they wanted to replace Tremaine, but clearly what Beane meant was that he wanted to replace Klein and at the same time get some desperately needed quality backup talent in there for Milano and Tremaine.

Not on anyone's radar? Except for Cowboy fans, Steeler fans, Bears fans, Giants fans, Raiders fans ... and I could go on and on and on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cowboys/comments/sxihpv/a_cowboys_mock_draft/

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2022/4/4/23009076/what-could-a-defensive-focused-draft-look-like-for-the-steelers-pittsburgh-stingley-davis-bryant-nfl

https://ontapsportsnet.com/2022/04/27/chicago-bears-mock-draft-down-to-the-wire-nfl-draft-2022/

https://flipboard.com/video/fannation/1b0777642a

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/linebackers-land-squarely-raiders-draft-211515946.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Slow and doesn’t get separation. Hes not big, or fast. Just an ordinary player as he projects to the nfl. 

Thanks. I remember very few players but I did recall watching him catch virtually every pass Purdue threw in a game last year. It was crazy…and I’m not even sure why I happened to see that game.

9 hours ago, LEBills said:

Total McDermott pick

Baylor’s coach Dave Aranda is a close buddy of McD.

I think this is a poor pick being the third round is early for him. they must have been worried he would go prior to our fifth round pick.

However, last pick McDermott got Aranda’s insight on was Tre White as he had been Tre’s DC at LSU. So let’s hope they know a lot more than we do!

Beane’s presser confirmed what I had expected. Said he, McD and Frazier all called Aranda about him and that they trust his opinion because he is a straight shooter. Beane says it will be up to coaches to figure out how to use him. Not exactly inspiring words from Beane, definitely a depth piece and ST initially.

Hopefully he turns into something down the line like the heir to Milano. Still pretty bummed we took him in the third but maybe we will get someone in the 5th or 6th that wasn’t expected to fall and it will all kinda wash.

terrel bernard should have been a 5th or one of our six 6th round picks. He definitely would have still been there. But a WASTE of a 3rd round pick. If they felt he would be gone in the fourth(which we have 0 picks. Trade down, get a 4th and additional 5th if possible.

I have seen some people talking as if Bernard could be the eventual replacement to Poyer.   That isn’t happening, he’s a LB and he is roughly the exact size as Milano when he came to the league.   

Bernard will be asked to play Special Teams and to play both inside and out LB spots and they’ll just see how to best apply him.  He probably will be used on some specific occasions such as blitzing because he is a hell of a blitzer and probably a few other situations.

I would expect him to get jacked up physically similar to how Milano did, they both have very similar body types as to when Milano came into the league.

Here is what was said about him by Beane:

To have a depth player that can move around and fill in wherever he's needed is one of the reasons they drafted him in the third round. Beane is excited to see where the coaches find the best fit for him.

"He's played both at Baylor, for us I'll let the coaches ultimately determine it, but he can play both - he can play inside or play out," Beane shared. "He really could. Super smart, he's going to be undersized. He's not going to be your prototype size. If he's playing Mike, he's going to be the opposite of what Tremaine looks like inside, but we do think he can do both. We like his versatility, super instinctive.

"You can blitz anybody, but he's got a feel for it, a knack for it, similar to our safeties the way they do. He's a fun player to watch. If you're criticizing him, he's an undersized linebacker but I like his ability to match up in the passing game if he's at the Will. He'll just come in here and have to compete and we'll see where his best fit is, but my guess is maybe he bounces around a little bit."

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Then so was Milano.  They were almost both identical in height and weight when Milano came out.

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks. I remember very few players but I did recall watching him catch virtually every pass Purdue threw in a game last year. It was crazy…and I’m not even sure why I happened to see that game.

He reminds me a lot of Isaiah Hodgins. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.