Rd 3, Pick 89 (25): LB Terrell Bernard, Baylor

Hapless Bills Fan

1 minute ago, Magox said:

16.5 career sacks, including 7.5 this past season.   That’s a really high number for an off-the-ball LB.   

So he is very athletic, good in coverage, tackling machine, downhill defender who is an extremely effective blitzer that happens to be a team leader.

Yeah, I’m thinking he will see some playing time.

I don’t know about this season, but I could him becoming an off ball LB similar to Milano.  

Eager to listen to his Pc.  And Cooks 🤣 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sirebors said:

You have no idea who this player is, absolutely no knowledge of him, and you hated the pick? Curious... 

but his big board he he got from a website said it was a round too early 

12 minutes ago, Magox said:

16.5 career sacks, including 7.5 this past season.   That’s a really high number for an off-the-ball LB.   

So he is very athletic, good in coverage, tackling machine, downhill defender who is an extremely effective blitzer that happens to be a team leader.

I think he’ll play a lot of third down.  They’ll blitz him a good bit I’m sure and he can cover.  Nice piece to have 

head scratcher simply because i think they really like his effort and locker room leadership but i dont think you pick a guy that has no shot to compete for a start this early. hes slated to be in a role you just extended a very good starter? so a STmer that may replace milano way down the road or maybe milano at mlb if Edmunds leaves?

we have had issues with titans, ne, Indianapolis, 

big physical run teams, just as much as a fast twitch kc team.

a cb that has tackling issues and a undersized lb has me worried we may be leaning to far in the speed direction. glad the dl looks to be much better so maybe thats the reason. or maybe they have a exotic nickel type package or two so the kid has at least a chance to get on the field.

4 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

Even Kiper couldn't really find anything good to say. Likes his height. I guess this another "Trust Beans" pick? I guess he can always work contraction on the new stadium. This guy wasn't even listed in ANY of the "Best remaining" LB's on the ESPN website. His name isn't mentioned anywhere.    

His name was mentioned in the draft war room at OBD.  Nobody else matters.

42 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

head scratcher simply because i think they really like his effort and locker room leadership but i dont think you pick a guy that has no shot to compete for a start this early. hes slated to be in a role you just extended a very good starter? so a STmer that may replace milano way down the road or maybe milano at mlb if Edmunds leaves?

a cb that has tackling issues and a undersized lb has me worried we may be leaning to far in the speed direction. glad the dl looks to be much better so maybe thats the reason. or maybe they have a exotic nickel type package or two so the kid has at least a chance to get on the field.

He should assume the Klein role, with better coverage skills for when they go 4-3. I know they prefer base nickel but it will be a nice option to have if his coverage skills translate to the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So according to you, bringing in Saffold equals "no infusion of talent"? 

And you feel you now have enough information at the end of the 3rd to know they're not going to infuse any talent to the OL in the draft or FA?

Yeah, those are both wrong.

There's certainly room for frustration here - I'd rather have had Parham myself - but that take is just wrong.

Parham was a by far better pick. The Raiders ran to the podium with the very next pick and selected him. They should at least give Beane a little present for that gift. Instead, the may have a solid 3rd round special teamer. Does it really matter when they kick the ball in the end zone? 

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

It is kind of hilarious, there have been so many people on here begging for the Bills to get a LB, Bean Drafts one and suddenly it's "Not that one!"

Really? If the Bills selected Rosen instead of Allen would your theme still correct? Flawed thinking Warcodered...

Sorry if already posted, here's Rotoworld's blurb on Terrell Bernard;

"Bernard (6’1/218) was a three-year starter at Baylor who garnered all-Big 12 honors in 2021. An undersized whirling dervish on the field, Bernard runs like a safety and hits like a linebacker. He blazed a 4.59 forty during the pre-draft process with 79th-percentile or better showings in the vertical and broad jumps, three cone, and short shuttle. On the field, he’s a fabulous sideline-to-sideline run defender who isn’t intimidated by oncoming blockers, but while Bernard has the athleticism for coverage, to this point in his career he’s lacked the instincts for the work. He has similar measurables and a similar game to Deion Jones, albeit with heightened durability concerns."

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/67816/terrel-bernard

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Magox said:

He is a tweener. The NFL is a whole different animal then the Big 12. Literally, this guy was not on anyone's radar. Beane is on his own island here. 

Seems like a very specific fit that they want in certain passing down packages.  I don't hate this pick, even though I don't know much about him.  I still don't know why the Bills aren't trying to get more physical on both sides of the ball.  The picks are all fine, but seems like they probably had a WR that they were hoping to get and then there was a run on them right before they picked.  I'm still scratching my head about letting Jermaine Johnson go - I thought for sure that was why they moved up.  Miller, Rousseau, Johnson, Hughes - that would have been an impressive rotation of DEs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

Nice post and the concerns you state are legitimate. 

3 hours ago, purple haze said:

His name was mentioned in the draft war room at OBD.  Nobody else matters.

Oh ok that makes everything fine and dandy then. Thanks!

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I will find it hilarious if three years from now this ends up being the best pic that we took so many people complaining about it

Not likely. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Parham was a by far better pick. The Raiders ran to the podium with the very next pick and selected him. They should at least give Beane a little present for that gift. Instead, the may have a solid 3rd round special teamer. Does it really matter when they kick the ball in the end zone? 

Really? 

How do you know Parham will be a better pick?  Can you see into the future?  Please enlighten us

• Like (+1) 1

2021 (Senior) First-Team All-Big 12 (AP & Conference) ... Dave Campbell's Texas Football Best Linebacker ... DCTFB All-Texas First Team ... Mayo Clinic Comeback Player of the Year Semifinalist ... Reese's Senior Bowl All-American ... Bednarik Award Watch List ... Butkus Award Watch list ... Nagurski Award Watch List ... Senior Bowl Watch List ... Preseason All-Big 12 selection by five publications (Athlon, Street & Smith’s, Lindy’s, Media, Phil Steele) ... Senior captain ... Started all 13 of Baylor's 14 games ... Named the Most Valuable player of the Sugar Bowl after a record-tying 20-tackle, two-sack game against Ole Miss ... Named Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week following nine-tackle, two-sack game vs. OU (11/15) ... Fifth in the Big 12 in total tackles (106) ...  Led the team in tackles in nine of his 13 games played ... Tallied nine tackles, one sack and 0.5 tackles for loss in a BU win over Texas State in the season opener (9/4) ... Had seven tackles against Texas Southern (9/11) ... Recorded three solo tackles in Baylor's Big 12 opener against Kansas (9/18) ... Had two tackles before suffering an injury against Iowa State (9/25) ... Missed the Oklahoma State game with an Injury (10/2) ... Returned to action with nine tackles and a sack against West Virginia (10/9) ... Tallied five tackles and a sack against BYU (10/16) ... Recorded seven tackles, 0.5 tackles for loss and a season-high two quarterback hurries against Texas (10/30) ... Made 11 tackles including a tackle for loss against TCU (11/06) ... Earned Big 12 Defensive Player of the week honors after a nine-tackle, two-sack performance against Oklahoma (11/13) ... Recorded six tackles including one for a loss against Kansas State (11/20) ... Tallied eight tackles, two for loss and a pass breakup in BU's regular season season finale against Texas Tech (11/27) ... Finished with 10 tackles and 0.5 sacks in the Big 12 Championship game (12/4) ... Tied a Sugar Bowl record with 20 tackles to go along with a pair of sacks ... Became the first defensive player to win Sugar Bowl MVP honors since 2008.

https://baylorbears.com/sports/football/roster/terrel-bernard/10462

When it comes to this pick I believe three things;

1.   I'll place my trust in Beane, McDermott, and Frazier when it comes to evaluating defensive talent.  I'm sure the organization as a whole has spent 100+ hours looking at this guy and decided he was a fit for their defense.   I trust their considered judgement more than than the opinions of posters  on TBD who have spent a total of 11 minutes "researching"  Terrell Bernard on the internet prior to expounding on the pick.

2.  As we have all seen time and time again, making grand pronouncements about a player on draft night is absolutely useless.  Anyone who says they know how a player is going to turn out 8 hours into their NFL career is nuts.  

3.  Having said all that, this is a fan message board and I do enjoy reading everyone's opinion and it's fun to throw my own out there too, for what it's worth.  Let's hope he's another Matt Milano.  It looks to me like that's the type of player they were looking for with this pick.

🍻

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.