Rd 3, Pick 89 (25): LB Terrell Bernard, Baylor

Hapless Bills Fan

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Josh ***** Allen!

Diggs, Davis, knox, Cook, motor, crowder, Mckenzie, Howard, Dawkins, Saffold, Morse…..

miller, Oliver, tredavious, Poyer, Hyde, Johnson, Rousseau, Milano, edmunds, elam 

we have a very good team + the best player in the league. 

• Agree 1

Ok, now I see. He's the big nickel that McD has been begging for. He hoped Siren Neal was that guy but it didn't happen, Terrel has what he wants to complete his defense. He has the speed and instincts to attack the short and intermediate zones while being able to bring heat on opposing QB's and RB's when it's available. Taking away the quick underneath routes while staying in a controlled zone coverage. This is definitely a McDermott pick. There's just something about him that he likes, and Beane let it happen. If it fails, then blame him.

Edited by ScorpionZero
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

Are his arms long enough?

What does the research say?

I think what your saying is a joke, but I've never thought of long enough arms, how tall you are, or any of that stuff. Do those things give you an advantage, absolutely. But I want a guy no matter what, lives, breaths and eats football, and the such. I believe that your either a football player or your not. 

The way I am seeing this draft is, as this regime has said in the past, "We are building a team, not collecting talent." I think all 3 of these guys fill in to what the team needs (see below).

Also, McBeane always looks at what went wrong last year and tries to fix that, as well as keeping up with the Jones'.

Well first things first, we have to look at Kansas City and the 13 seconds, and then the upsurging AFC (Bengals, Chargers, Broncos, Raiders, etc.). We are going to face a lot of great QBs over the next couple of years. And where were we weak last year? Defensive speed (particularly over the middle of the field) against fast teams (WRs/TEs), with good QBs.

Elam should be an upgrade to Levi and is much faster. And instead of eliminating just one weapon on Tre Island, hopefully (eventually), we can have two shutdown corners, making it tough on two pass catchers. They can play more man and not have to compensate for anyone (Levi or Dane).

And this pick (LB Terrell Bernard Pick 89) may look bad because most draft experts will say, "eh he's a tweener" and not rate him as high, knowing that some teams will not want/pick a tweener because of their defensive system. But, as Milano has shown, that type of player fits perfectly in our system. So it might not be a great pick here for another team, but it may be for Buffalo. And as good as Milano is, he has been oft injured and the defense usually takes a big hit/drop when he is out. So, first off, Bernard is insurance for a Milano injury, that our coverage doesn't suffer if he is out.

But also, remember when Klein first got some starts and he looked awful? That's because best case scenario, they needed him to be able to cover. But that wasn't his skillset, so they had to adapt things. They don't have to adapt with Bernard. In certain situations against certain teams, they could go with 3 LBs and two of them (Milano and Bernard) are fast and can cover. Does the 13 seconds happen last year if you swap in Elam for Levi and Bernard for Klein? Maybe not...plus we got Von now too! I feel like they are addressing a serious weakness that they saw.

And finally with Cook, we now have a legit hr threat (speed-wise) in and coming out of the backfield. This was obviously an area they wanted to upgrade as seen by the attempt at signing McKissic and then adding Duke.

I don't know enough about these individual players (I don't watch a lot of college ball) to know if they will all reach the potential the Bills see in them. But the picks do seem to make sense to me when you match up the player's traits and our needs (where the team felt that they needed to get better). And there is nothing wrong with adding speed, speed, and more speed.

As for WR, I didn't see that as a big of a need as others to start with, we have a lot of pass catchers (Diggs, Davis, Crowder, McKenzie, Knox, Howard, Kumerow, Singletary) and they just added Cook to the mix who will not only be great for screens and dump offs, but the guy can also line up wide and go deep. I'm not saying they'll use him like that all the time, but maybe enough to keep defenses honest (people said we needed a speed WR to take the top off the defense...maybe between Cook and McKenzie, we have that covered). I mean, how much playing time would a rookie receiver have gotten next year anyhow with our depth chart? I'm really not concerned with Josh not having enough weapons. Look at last year's playoffs...and essentially all we did was swap Crowder for Beasley and added Howard and Cook. To me Sanders is a wash, because he was just taking reps away from Gabe.

Just trying to see the rationale to the picks. Go Bills!

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

28 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It is kind of hilarious, there have been so many people on here begging for the Bills to get a LB, Bean Drafts one and suddenly it's "Not that one!"

Hah You cracked me up there. That's exactly it.

Good post.

This is going to take some time for me to grow to like. On the face of it, it doesn't make a lot of sense. 

But they do need someone to replace Klein as the #3 and to back up Milano and Tremaine. I'm hoping it'll look good in retrospect. Certainly a decent chance of it.

• Agree 2

45 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I have not idea who this player is but I did not like this pick and hated all of the 6th round draft picks 

You have no idea who this player is, absolutely no knowledge of him, and you hated the pick? Curious... 

1 hour ago, Blazman11 said:

Just so I get this straight.  Kromer is supposedly going to make every lineman into Tony Boselli with no infusion of talent.  But McDermott needs 78 premium defensive draft picks to ensure 13 seconds never happens again?   Which was his own fault to begin with.  

So according to you, bringing in Saffold equals "no infusion of talent"? 

And you feel you now have enough information at the end of the 3rd to know they're not going to infuse any talent to the OL in the draft or FA?

Yeah, those are both wrong.

There's certainly room for frustration here - I'd rather have had Parham myself - but that take is just wrong.

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

And you feel you now have enough information at the end of the 3rd to know they're not going to infuse any talent to the OL in the draft or FA?

There's certainly room for frustration here - I'd rather have had Parham myself - but that take is just wrong.

Glad to see you weigh in at this point. The internet would be PAINFULLY BORING if everyone using it strived to be this objective and rational. So here we are, navigating obviously hyperbolic (emotional) takes with dull pleas for reasonable discourse. 

And while I agreed with you about Parham representing better value, I'm like immediately ready to abandon my own derivative assessments of these prospects in favor of an ego-less, balanced inquiry into their potential fits on the Bills. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Blazman11 said:

We are replacing Beasley with a castoff from the Jets.  The Jets!!!!!!!!!!   

Despite the fact that this is its entirety is presented like the rant of a 15 year old, I'll highlight this because it's where things really went off the rails. Crowder is a tough, 28 year old target machine. Fantastic route runner. You either need to be trolling or opening your first pack of football cards to think that 33 year old, half-broken Cole Beasley is going to produce more than Jamison Crowder on the same field with Josh Allen in 2022.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Despite the fact that this is its entirety is presented like the rant of a 15 year old, I'll highlight this because it's where things really went off the rails. Crowder is a durable, 28 year old target machine. Fantastic route runner. You either need to be trolling or opening your first pack of football cards to think that 33 year old, half-broken Cole Beasley is going to produce more than Jamison Crowder on the same field with Josh Allen in 2022.

It's not like Cole Beasley was this hot commodity when he came to the Bills either.   His best years are because of Allen, not the other way around.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Bruffalo said:

It's not like Cole Beasley was this hot commodity when he came to the Bills either.   His best years are because of Allen, not the other way around.

Still available as well. Crowder on the other hand also had interest from the Browns and 49ers at least and easily would have had a home by now, and yet this dude is acting like the Bills gave him the league minimum 2 months after free agency started.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Kiper is wrong a lot more than he is right.  His fellow mock draft “expert” Mayock just might be the worst GM of the last 20 years too.  Who cares what Kiper thinks

Nah,  Kiper is actually quite good. 

And man you like to shout down Bills fans. :lol:

People remember Kiper's bad takes because his opinion matters to them...........but for the industry he is quite good and well connected.

He was one of the few who were all-in on Josh Allen as a prospect............but you probably hated that opinion too.

And what the unaffiliated Mayock has to do with him when there are hundreds of draft "experts" now I don't know.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Almost everyone in the country likes this buffalo roster.  Fans of other teams are complaining they can’t build a team like this one. Giants fans are praying Schoen and Daboll can copy the Buffalo Bills blueprint of roster building. And people are really upset over draft picks. Beane could of probably forfeited this entire draft class and just signed UDFA later to plug holes and maybe a vet corner and we’d still sitting at the super bowl favorites table. Is that because of Josh Allen? Of course. But I would think Beane has earned some trust around here. He’s given this fan base everything they wanted. Maybe not when you want it but it arrives and sometimes it has a team friendly contract. 
Lighten up and have some fun with all this. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Saffold is 5 years older than Daryl Williams,  he can't play tackle like Williams and he was pretty banged up last year.

Whether he is any kind of improvement or just a downgrade from what Daryl Williams provided is very debatable and the deal he got seemed mighty generous for a guy who TN was quick to move on from.

• Disagree 1

16.5 career sacks, including 7.5 this past season.   That’s a really high number for an off-the-ball LB.   

So he is very athletic, good in coverage, tackling machine, downhill defender who is an extremely effective blitzer that happens to be a team leader.

Yeah, I’m thinking he will see some playing time.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.