Rd 3, Pick 89 (25): LB Terrell Bernard, Baylor

Hapless Bills Fan

Media call

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/terrel-bernard-one-of-my-biggest-dreams

Seems like a smart dude.  Fits the bill to be a Bill.

Probably our 4th round pick.  Seems he would have lasted to then, but we don't have a pick that round.  Seems Bills were heavily invested in him in the pre-draft process.  

Expect him to be a coverage guy.  Seems he excels in that.  Speedy.  One thing Edmunds can't do.

Like the dude for sure!

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Fair enough , I did miss the Milano 2.0.

My apologies.

All good.  You’re probably right.  Backup/st in the 3rd rd.  I’m just trying to see the what McBs vision would be.  I don’t think Core STer is their vision.  Sure hope not anyway.  

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was my thought, Milano backup/possible Milano replacement.

But I do wonder if they think they can convert him to Safety?  

Did Beane say he could play Safety?

Way too slow for safety 

29 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Sure. I think that's promising and explains some of the thought process behind it, but how is this guy gonna see the field?  Barring an injury, is he pushing Milano or Edmunds for a spot?  I don't think that's likely. 

Are we running more base package? I don't know about that either.

We had other LBs play last year.

I needed some time to "process" this pick...

I have come upon my conclusion: Vosean Joseph 2.0 (except Joseph was taken in the 5th... FIFTH... round - 2019).

-Undersized LB "tweener".

-Fast trigger.

-Made splash plays, but also got duped, from time to time.

-Vicious tackler, but undisciplined.

From the bit of snatching at straws I've done, Bernard seems to be more disciplined, and a better character / smarts guy. TWO ROUNDS better, though?

Well... I hope so... I really effin hope so. Beane: You are testing all of our collective hope. I'm praying you're right!

4 minutes ago, junior said:

Watched the 3 or 4 YouTube videos I could find on him... Kid just sifts through traffic to make the play. And he absolutely fires his gun when he sees a play develop/sees a QB who's vulnerable. Remember the KC game when NO ONE on defense could bring down Mahomes? Maybe that's where Bernard fits in

This. Also, have read several other valuable ideas here. Potential to cover these monster TE's. Contain Rb's. Effective blitzer. Big Nickel guy that McD could find fun uses for. Future of the game is a smaller, faster LB'er.

^^^ all things we struggled with, or dont have. Guy could be a switch army knife situationally (in many diff roles). McD is one of the smarter defensive thinkers in the league, hoping he has plans for him that us dumb folk arenr privy too. Be interesting to hear how used in TC and pre-season

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Lotta hopes in there. Sigh.

Yeah the roster is a bit lopsided in terms of pedigree.

6 first and second rounders on offense........Allen, Diggs(trade), Dawkins, Morse, Saffold and now Cook.

10 first and second rounders on defense........Miller, Oliver, Rousseau, Phillips, Basham, Epenesa, Shaq, Edmunds, White and now Elam.

And of course........the spending on defense has been massive.   6 of the back 7 is either on a big second contract or on a fat one year deal(Edmunds).  

If they underachieve again next season and end up back on the road in January it's most likely going to be for the same reason as last year........a lack of quality and depth on the OL and not enough juice in the WR corps.

Not over yet though........still some good veterans out there.   Better talent at veteran WR than is left at CB.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Wait a minute....so round 1 an athletic corner, with man/zone press skills and recovery speed.

Then now this is round 3, an instinctive cover LB who can lock up on TEs.

Seems like we are trying to fix something that must have been a glaring weakness against KC.

Not sure why so many feel the need to say "I had so and so as a 6th rounder", or what value is he going to bring.  Hello, Beane and staff know what they're doing, and have a plan to keep adding the necessary pieces to put us over the top.

I'm sure if you go back and rematch thr KC game, our lack of speed on defense will stand out in more than 1 occasion.  We needed to fix that, and our physicality at the DT spots...check and check

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

This. Also, have read several other valuable ideas here. Potential to cover these monster TE's. Contain Rb's. Effective blitzer. Big Nickel guy that McD could find fun uses for. Future of the game is a smaller, faster LB'er.

^^^ all things we struggled with, or dont have. Guy could be a switch army knife situationally (in many diff roles). McD is one of the smarter defensive thinkers in the league, hoping he has plans for him that us dumb folk arenr privy too. Be interesting to hear how used in TC and pre-season

I agree. McBeane didn't take this guy without having a vision for him.  He's a playmaker, and McDermott will find ways for him to make plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

So the thought process from what I'm reading/hearing is that Beane believes that Bernard can backup up both Milano and Tremaine Edmunds, what he lacks in size he can make up with athletic ability. If that's the case and can indeed play both without missing the athletic ability of either of those LB's than I love this pick her because lets face when both Milano and Edmunds went down to injuries, we weren't as efficient and rightfully so.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.