Jump to content

Rd 2, Pick 63 (31): RB James Cook, Georgia


Recommended Posts

Looking at the highlights he looks a lot like Najee Harris and Alvin Kamara.

 

For me he looks like Thurman Thomas with that cutback ability. 

 

Also look at the positive review made by Rich Eisen when Cook's name is called 

 

Edited by ganesh
  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Not trying to being a downer, but doesn't he go down rather easily for a RB drafted this high? 

 

After speed and pass-catching, he doesn't have anything on Devin Singletary.


If he had more power to his game, he’d have been RB1 in this draft.   
 

He’s the most skilled pass catching RB, by far, in this draft.  UGA had him run routes from the backfield, the slot, and even flexed outside.  
 

He’s not going to be a guy that we hand the ball off to a ton.  Here and there to keep teams honest, but he’s going to be a guy that we use to carve up 2 deep safety looks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Did you want Hall? 

 

I did not; I didn't see any RB in this draft as having a 1st rd grade. 

 

I was hopeful that the RB position would be addressed in next year's draft, where at least 2 RBs that I've given a 1st Rd. grade may enter. This pick bothers me because I don't think the FO would draft 2nd and then go 1st Rd. the following year with Singletary and/or Moss still on the roster. 

 

I don't like the Cook pick, but what can ya do? 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BurpleBull said:

 

I did not; I didn't see any RB in this draft as having a 1st rd grade. 

 

I was hopeful that the RB position would be addressed in next year's draft, where at least 2 RBs that I've given a 1st Rd. grade may enter. This pick bothers me because I don't think the FO would draft 2nd and then go 1st Rd. the following year with Singletary and/or Moss still on the roster. 

 

I don't like the Cook pick, but what can ya do? 

If you are looking at Cook as an every down work horse than I get your dislike for the pick. If you consider what this offense was lacking and what he provides than it is easier to understand the pick. He lines up as a RB and can run the ball very well, he can also catch the ball better than ANY prospect listed as a RB coming out. 

  • Like (+1) 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Dont mind the players but question the value and strategy.  Beane basically admitted they drafted Cook for the role McKissic was going to have.  I mean, his approach to the second round is incredibly frustrating.  And he’s now drafted three running backs in for years with premium picks.  Insane.

 

For a front office highlighted here and elsewhere as being one of or the best in the the league they're strategically underwhelming this draft.  

 

Going CB, RB, and LB with their top picks makes me wonder if they're focused on not entering the arms race going on across the NFL.  With other teams loading up at WR, McBeane want more secondary help.  And, rather than go after those WR's early, they'll draft backs who can catch the ball.  And of course, continue with more high picks for the front 7 as I'm sure McD wants.

 

My issue with McBeane is they default to defense in an offensive era where more often than not the better passing offense wins in the playoffs.  

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

Defense and offense…. Typical 

 

Right?

 

Football players... Typical

 

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You are correct.  I was listening to a couple scouting reports and both mentioned this as a problem, but neither went into detail about it.  It was late and I didn’t look into it any further.  Til now.

 

Looks like their problem with it is that he’s too skinny and will break. 
 

Apologies.  Now get back to your regularly scheduled programming. 

 

 

Yeah BMI is something that was used in the 1960s when I was a kid. It's simplistic to the point of irrelevance.

 

Not only does it not take into account muscle versus fat, but it also ignores bone diameter and density as well as lung capacity.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

 

I did not; I didn't see any RB in this draft as having a 1st rd grade. 

 

I was hopeful that the RB position would be addressed in next year's draft, where at least 2 RBs that I've given a 1st Rd. grade may enter. This pick bothers me because I don't think the FO would draft 2nd and then go 1st Rd. the following year with Singletary and/or Moss still on the roster. 

 

I don't like the Cook pick, but what can ya do? 


Get used to us taking a mid round RB most years under Beane as Singletary may just wrapping his head around unless a modest contract extension, they’ll move from him.  It’s the new NFL.  More teams unless they have a very special RB, just keep drafting them and use up over four years.  I’ve just accepted we’ll use of our 2-4th round picks anRB almost every year.  It’s a waste of $ to pay big $ for a RB when they get hurt more frequently than most other positions.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If you are looking at Cook as an every down work horse than I get your dislike for the pick. If you consider what this offense was lacking and what he provides than it is easier to understand the pick. He lines up as a RB and can run the ball very well, he can also catch the ball better than ANY prospect listed as a RB coming out. 

 

I don't agree that he runs the ball very well, that's why I don't think he should've been drafted in the 2nd.

 

He didn't need to be an every down work-horse, I just needed to see other qualities traditionally associated with really good RBs.

 

I literally don't see anything outside of speed and pass-catching, and it isn't even blazing speed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Simon said:

 

I've seen him run down from behind by more than one college player; that typically does not denote long speed in the NFL.

I’ve seen that as well, but he has gone to the house with some regularity 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I would’ve preferred not to trade a fourth to move up two slots - let the board come to you and trade down if the value isn’t there.

 

Even if it meant losing-out on the last player with a 1st round grade on their board, at a position of greatest need?  If your answer is "yes," we'll agree to disagree.   And about half the NFL traded-up in that 1st round alone.

 

Speaking of which, you're basically making a hypocrite of yourself by giving a thumbs up to the following post, since getting a WR in any of the first 2 rounds would have entailed trading-up (or reaching).

 

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

For a front office highlighted here and elsewhere as being one of or the best in the the league they're strategically underwhelming this draft.  

 

Going CB, RB, and LB with their top picks makes me wonder if they're focused on not entering the arms race going on across the NFL.  With other teams loading up at WR, McBeane want more secondary help.  And, rather than go after those WR's early, they'll draft backs who can catch the ball.  And of course, continue with more high picks for the front 7 as I'm sure McD wants.

 

My issue with McBeane is they default to defense in an offensive era where more often than not the better passing offense wins in the playoffs.  

 

The 1st tier of WRs were finished by pick 18.  That would have entailed trading-up (using their 3rd and 4th round picks).  Taking any other WR at 25 would have been a reach.  Did you want them to trade out of the 1st just so they could "enter the arms race"?  Trade up in the 2nd to take a WR?  And is a 2nd round rookie WR going to make or break the offense? 

 

There will be loads of veteran WRs who will be available after the draft.  Not that they will necessarily need them given the top-4 spots are set.

 

As for the last statement, the better passing offense lost in the AFCCG.  Because of defense (and that team traded up in the 1st to address their own defense).  You need to play both offense and defense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

 

For a front office highlighted here and elsewhere as being one of or the best in the the league they're strategically underwhelming this draft.  

 

Going CB, RB, and LB with their top picks makes me wonder if they're focused on not entering the arms race going on across the NFL.  With other teams loading up at WR, McBeane want more secondary help.  And, rather than go after those WR's early, they'll draft backs who can catch the ball.  And of course, continue with more high picks for the front 7 as I'm sure McD wants.

 

My issue with McBeane is they default to defense in an offensive era where more often than not the better passing offense wins in the playoffs.  


If 13 seconds didn’t tell you the importance of improving the defense, I don’t know what else to tell you. 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:


If 13 seconds didn’t tell you the importance of improving the defense, I don’t know what else to tell you. 

Did they draft any coaches on Day 1 or 2? 😂😂😂

Edited by BTB
  • Haha (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

The 1st tier of WRs were finished by pick 18.  That would have entailed trading-up (using their 3rd and 4th round picks).  Taking any other WR at 25 would have been a reach.  Did you want them to trade out of the 1st just so they could "enter the arms race"?  Trade up in the 2nd to take a WR?  And is a 2nd round rookie WR going to make or break the offense? 

 

There will be loads of veteran WRs who will be available after the draft.  Not that they will necessarily need them given the top-4 spots are set.

 

As for the last statement, the better passing offense lost in the AFCCG.  Because of defense (and that team traded up in the 1st to address their own defense).  You need to play both offense and defense.

 

Funny thing about draft time is people know the cost of everything but the value of almost nothing.  Buffalo was picking at 25 originally and used a 4th to move up to 23.  It's gonna take a couple years, but at this point I'm cool with trading a 3rd to move up to grab a WR at 15 when your depth there is porous.  After all, Buffalo getting another LB for the defense isn't a huge cost because those players aren't impacting games as much as a WR does.  You can sign decent UFA LBs at value prices without burning top 100 picks anyway.  

 

Loads of WR's available after the draft?  Come on dude.  If you're talking UDFA's...yeah maybe 1 out of 20 becomes something.  As for vets...try fitting them under the cap constraints this team faces each season now.  

 

To your final comment...KC last season was the better offense and threw the ball better.  The Cheaps offense has been better at getting YAC and is overall less reliant on their QB carrying the ball.  

8 minutes ago, BTB said:

Did they draft any coaches on Day 1 or 2? 😂😂😂

 

Maybe not, but maybe they held remedial communication seminars for the HC and his DC who stumble in crunch time. ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BillsVet said:

 

Funny thing about draft time is people know the cost of everything but the value of almost nothing.  Buffalo was picking at 25 originally and used a 4th to move up to 23.  It's gonna take a couple years, but at this point I'm cool with trading a 3rd to move up to grab a WR at 15 when your depth there is porous.  After all, Buffalo getting another LB for the defense isn't a huge cost because those players aren't impacting games as much as a WR does.  You can sign decent UFA LBs at value prices without burning top 100 picks anyway.  

 

Loads of WR's available after the draft?  Come on dude.  If you're talking UDFA's...yeah maybe 1 out of 20 becomes something.  As for vets...try fitting them under the cap constraints this team faces each season now.  

 

To your final comment...KC last season was the better offense and threw the ball better.  The Cheaps offense has been better at getting YAC and is overall less reliant on their QB carrying the ball.  

I was very much about upgrading WR, so I agree with your general sentiment. I do think Cook is a nice pick who will impact the passing game. He is like a slot receiver coming out of the backfield.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:


Get used to us taking a mid round RB most years under Beane as Singletary may just wrapping his head around unless a modest contract extension, they’ll move from him.  It’s the new NFL.  More teams unless they have a very special RB, just keep drafting them and use up over four years.  I’ve just accepted we’ll use of our 2-4th round picks anRB almost every year.  It’s a waste of $ to pay big $ for a RB when they get hurt more frequently than most other positions.

 

I wouldn't be totally shocked to see them take another one later today to serve primarily as a short yardage and goal line specialist,  assuming that Moss is on the way out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven’t read through this thread but I think Duke Johnson’s days are numbered as a Buffalo Bill.  Cook will fill the role of 3rd down and passing game back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this a guy you can leave on the field all 3 downs? Can he block? I absolutely love the way his brother plays. I’m cautiously optimistic that we end up with a guy close to what Dalvin is. A legitimate difference maker at RB is something that can absolutely get us over the hump IMO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...