Rd 2, Pick 63 (31): RB James Cook, Georgia

Hapless Bills Fan

Ok, I was just watching GMFB and Adam Rank is on talking about his top 5 rookies with fantasy impact, and he ranked James Cook at #4 and spoke very highly of him. HOWEVER. the funniest part was that he called Devin Singletary, CJ Spiller by mistake, and no one seemed to notice.  😀  I thought I was hearing things at first, but I went back and confirmed it.  

That said, I believe Cook can have an Alvin Kamara in his prime, type of impact on this team.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Ok, I was just watching GMFB and Adam Rank is on talking about his top 5 rookies with fantasy impact, and he ranked James Cook at #4 and spoke very highly of him. HOWEVER. the funniest part was that he called Devin Singletary, CJ Spiller by mistake, and no one seemed to notice.  😀  I thought I was hearing things at first, but I went back and confirmed it.  

That said, I believe Cook can have an Alvin Kamara in his prime, type of impact on this team.  

My expectations are much much lower than Alvin Kamara, that is way too high. I'm expecting JC to run about 90-100 times a year and catch 75ish balls, I don't expect him to get the carries that Kamara does, I just have concerns about Cook's size and ability to be durable if he sees a lot of action.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, CapeBreton said:

My expectations are much much lower than Alvin Kamara, that is way too high. I'm expecting JC to run about 90-100 times a year and catch 75ish balls, I don't expect him to get the carries that Kamara does, I just have concerns about Cook's size and ability to be durable if he sees a lot of action.  

Same. Not to mean he won't be effective running the ball, the guy did average 6.2 YPC. I see him as an Austin Ekeler type.

Ekeler is a bit thicker (there is that word again), but not quite the hands Cook has. I don't think either are Kamara or McCaffrey.

Another good comparison might be Michael Carter (RB) on the Jets. Not an every down running back, but a very good dual purpose weapon.

I could see Cook getting @100 carries for about 500 rushing, and @50 catches for about 500. 900-1k from scrimmage and 5-8 TDs.

Buffalo will have to show a willingness to run him out of the backfield to keep defenses honest, but keep an eye on his carry count.

If things go well, you could put him out there in a package with Lil Dirty. With the normal weapons and Josh's ability to run, that will be a mess to try to anticipate.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Same. Not to mean he won't be effective running the ball, the guy did average 6.2 YPC. I see him as an Austin Ekeler type.

Ekeler is a bit thicker (there is that word again), but not quite the hands Cook has. I don't think either are Kamara or McCaffrey.

Another good comparison might be Michael Carter (RB) on the Jets. Not an every down running back, but a very good dual purpose weapon.

I could see Cook getting @100 carries for about 500 rushing, and @50 catches for about 500. 900-1k from scrimmage and 5-8 TDs.

Buffalo will have to show a willingness to run him out of the backfield to keep defenses honest, but keep an eye on his carry count.

If things go well, you could put him out there in a package with Lil Dirty. With the normal weapons and Josh's ability to run, that will be a mess to try to anticipate.

I dont think Cook is a finished product yet.   He has the frame to add weight and could see more carries as he goes.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont think Cook is a finished product yet.   He has the frame to add weight and could see more carries as he goes.

I agree he has a little room to fill out. Hence my Ekeler comparison

Ekeler is listed either 5'9" or 5'10 - 200

Cook is listed as 5'11 -190

If cooks adds 5-10 pounds then he is basically Ekeler's size with a similar skill set, and I could see Buffalo using him in a similar way.

Just a guess.

• Like (+1) 2

He’s currently a 1/2 Kamara.  He might be his equal (or even better) as a pass catcher.  He’s not even close to the same ability as a rusher atm.  Maybe with time, but I don’t think it’ll ever happen. That doesn’t mean he won’t be a great player for us….I just don’t think he should be compared to Kamara.  Based on what we’ve seen from him so far, James White would be a better comparison imo. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/7/2022 at 10:10 AM, Rocket94 said:

I never doubted Allen from day.  Made a big leap!

I did and I'm glad I was wrong! Rarely do you see a QB make such a huge leap. The ceiling was there but many though he wouldn't come close to it. Big home run by Beane and Company...

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s currently a 1/2 Kamara.  He might be his equal (or even better) as a pass catcher.  He’s not even close to the same ability as a rusher atm.  Maybe with time, but I don’t think it’ll ever happen. That doesn’t mean he won’t be a great player for us….I just don’t think he should be compared to Kamara.  Based on what we’ve seen from him so far, James White would be a better comparison imo. 

Last year wasnt Kamara pretty average? 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I did and I'm glad I was wrong! Rarely do you see a QB make such a huge leap. The ceiling was there but many though he wouldn't come close to it. Big home run by Beane and Company...

Last year wasnt Kamara pretty average? 

Yeah, what does that have to do with his actual abilities as a rusher…..

He was without a real QB all season, was missing 3/5 of his OL most of the year (including both of his pro bowl tackles) and they didn’t have one NfL caliber starting WR on the squad.  Must be easy to stop a guy when he’s the ONLY real weapon on the team

In your opinion, is Kamara pretty average?  Exactly, not sure why you even asked the question

Edited by NewEra

3 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

His stylistic comparison is Kamara. He may never get there ability wise. 

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, what does that have to do with his actual abilities as a rusher…..

He was without a real QB all season, was missing 3/5 of his OL most of the year (including both of his pro bowl tackles) and they didn’t have one NfL caliber starting WR on the squad.  Must be easy to stop a guy when he’s the ONLY real weapon on the team

In your opinion, is Kamara pretty average?  Exactly, not sure why you even asked the question

No Kamara is dynamic and can break a game wide open. Mentioned him because even a weapon like him can be slowed down without a supporting cast. 

Frankly, I think the comparasions between Kamra and Cook are way way premature and really hopeful thinking. Kamara is a proven commodity and Cook hasn't even sniffed the NFL yet. He was a 2nd round pick as well. You would think if teams thought he was "Kamara like" he would have been drafted a lot earlier. I do think Cook brings an added dimension to the Bills offense. That's a great thing. It remains to be seen how he will be used in the Bills offense. How many touches he gets and how effective he will be. Lets slow down with the Kamara talk and let Cook be Cook. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 2

On 5/25/2022 at 10:34 AM, CapeBreton said:

Nothing wrong with this take,  however I believe JC is the nickname of Jamison Crowder based on Allens interview the other day. Hopefully they aren't both JC.

That would be 2 JCs, 1 TD Jesus and a punt God.

Blasphemy!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Nothing wrong with this take,  however I believe JC is the nickname of Jamison Crowder based on Allens interview the other day. Hopefully they aren't both JC.

That would be 2 JCs, 1 TD Jesus and a punt God.

Blasphemy!!!

Bro this is freaking hilarious 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Nice burst  to the gap and beyond ! 

Very enthusiastic for this Kid to get rolling quickly.
Feel bad about Moss though.
Both Devin and Moss had a less than stellar blocking game in front of them. Would have liked Kromer last year.
Cook will be a beast with his all around game ! Blitz blocking pickups he will have to learn asap

• Like (+1) 2

I think Cook will be a weapon in the passing game and surprise many in the run game.  In a less than dynamic offense vs good defenses he was a difference maker.  In an offense that provides plenty of space underneath, Cook will produce big.  Is he going to be a traditional back?  No.  Reggie Bush in NO Superbowl season comes to mind.

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Nice burst  to the gap and beyond ! 

Very enthusiastic for this Kid to get rolling quickly.
Feel bad about Moss though.
Both Devin and Moss had a less than stellar blocking game in front of them. Would have liked Kromer last year.
Cook will be a beast with his all around game ! Blitz blocking pickups he will have to learn asap

True, but ok they blitz.  Is he one on with who?  If he beats him bye bye.  Allen has shown the ability to make the first guy look stupid.  Now you have a guy underneath who can take an easy pass 50 plus.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve been watching some reaction videos of the Bills Pats playoff game on YT in recent weeks…..everyone was shocked at how good motor was.  Most of the YTers called him a stud.  I think he’s going to be our best RB this year by a wide margin.  He wasn’t just an average back at the end of the season.  He was dam good. 

Cook is the bigger TD threat, while Singletary is MUCH better at making people miss and maximizing each rush.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.