Rd 2, Pick 63 (31): RB James Cook, Georgia

Hapless Bills Fan

21 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

I don't care about Rich Eisen.

Guess who else can run, man?

Me!

What does that even mean?

I won't be swayed because some media figure said something good about a player on the team I root for. Folks dogged Taron Johnson without cause until they heard TV figures praising him for his play against the Steelers, I'm not with it.

I hold to what I hold to until I see James Cook break a few ankles, more than a few tackles, and take his share of carries to the house or almost.

I'll believe that he's dynamic then, till then, I think we just got added speed and elite receiving ability at the RB position.

We drafted a playmaker with ELITE receiving ability with the last pick in rd 2.  That’s what you want.  Playmakers with elite traits.  He does one thing exceptionally well.  His receiver skills are better than 95-100% of all nfl running backs imo.  We had one “hole” and we filled it with our first pick.  

Beane drafted players that he thinks will contribute to winning a super bowl this year+.  A RB with elite receiving skills will give us more versatility on O and put the opposing defenses on alert

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We drafted a playmaker with ELITE receiving ability with the last pick in rd 2.  That’s what you want.  Playmakers with elite traits.  He does one thing exceptionally well.  His receiver skills are better than 95-100% of all nfl running backs imo.  We had one “hole” and we filled it with our first pick.  

Beane drafted players that he thinks will contribute to winning a super bowl this year+.  A RB with elite receiving skills will give us more versatility on O and put the opposing defenses on alert

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

Me!

I won't be swayed because some media figure said something good about a player on the team I root for. Folks dogged Taron Johnson without cause until they heard TV figures praising him for his play against the Steelers, I'm not with it.

I hold to what I hold to until I see James Cook break a few ankles, more than a few tackles, and take his share of carries to the house or almost.

I'll believe that he's dynamic then, till then, I think we just got added speed and elite receiving ability at the RB position.

lol

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

Thank goodness....

yep cause we wont need another LOL

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

100% hatred is expressing that I believe he will pay off as a receiver, but not so much as a rusher?

I hate where he was selected due a lack of certain attributes associated with effective running backs relied on to keep offenses moving through ground attack.

I wasn't saying that Cook would get in the way of the Bills winning a Super Bowl, I was expressing that his selection in the 2nd rd. makes it unlikely that the Bills would select an RB in the 1st rd. next year. 😉

just keep hating :D

Edited by PrimeTime101

4 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

In this offense, are the Bills looking for a every down back? The days of handing off to OJ are over...at least for now!

People are still stuck in the drought days where coaches engrained ground and pound into their minds.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Thank goodness....

There was already a thread last week about drafting Bijan Robinson in the 1st round next year… people are obsessed with RBs for some reason. The Bills do need some balance on offense but 1st rd RB is overkill 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

In this offense, are the Bills looking for a every down back? The days of handing off to OJ are over...at least for now!

How about having a RB that you can give the ball to in the 4th quarter with 1:59 on the clock, 3rd and 3 and the Bills needing a 1st down to guarantee a victory?

1 hour ago, GolfandBills said:

People are still stuck in the drought days where coaches engrained ground and pound into their minds.  

Some of us are stuck in the Kelly era when the Bills had a passing and running game. Remember what the pass first idea did to the Bills in XXV?

5 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Me!

Your conclusion DOES in fact echo exactly what "some media figure said" in this case, though. And that "media figure" aptly combines your conclusion about "speed and elite receiving ability at the RB position" with the general consensus that the Bills pass-heavy offense was elite/unstoppable even WITHOUT those very traits you've identified, to then reach the ultimate assessment that Cook is a more impactful under-the-radar add for the Bills than any other team had after Day One. So I'm not sure what you're criticizing here. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Josh will still run! He can't help himself...in his DNA!

As he should. The offense is completely different when he makes it a point to run. For the most part they played their best offense in December and January, when Josh was running more often.

He just needs to slide or get out of bounds as much as possible(Unless it's a play we absolutely need or the playoffs). Love his heart and competitive drive. Been watching the football & the Bills for over 40 years and he's easily my favorite player of all time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Your conclusion DOES in fact echo exactly what "some media figure said" in this case, though. And that "media figure" aptly combines your conclusion about "speed and elite receiving ability at the RB position" with the general consensus that the Bills pass-heavy offense was elite/unstoppable even WITHOUT those very traits you've identified, to then reach the ultimate assessment that Cook is a more impactful under-the-radar add for the Bills than any other team had after Day One. So I'm not sure what you're criticizing here. 

he wanted different and is riding that train till the end...

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

You'd have to go through my many other posts in this thread to find out what my criticisms are.

Cook has a better 40 time than both Singletary and Moss; he has faster straight-line speed, he does. I don't necessarily see that speed translating to long runs in the NFL with regularity as a rusher the way his 4.42 speed would suggest.

My criticisms are related to him as a rusher.

On 5/5/2022 at 7:13 PM, HappyDays said:

I don't see Kamara in his game at all. Kamara has really good contact balance. Cook doesn't break tackles, he runs away from them. A poor man's Christian McCaffrey would be my comparison.

Right now, I’m getting a James White vibe with him, and that’s a compliment, dude was killer pre-injury & when Brady was still there…. can’t wait to watch him this year.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

You'd have to go through my many other posts in this thread to find out what my criticisms are.

Cook has a better 40 time than both Singletary and Moss; he has faster straight-line speed, he does. I don't necessarily see that speed translating to long runs in the NFL with regularity as a rusher the way his 4.42 speed would suggest.

My criticisms are related to him as a rusher.

He's not a bell cow back, but a better runner than you are giving him credit for. Singletary at the end of the year was playing at a level good enough to win you a SB and above average for an NFL rb. You don't need to replace that . . . a fair amount of the late season improvement in the running game can be attributed to better oline play. That is the truly significant place to concentrate for long-term efficacy in the ground game. What Cook adds is a dimension of danger that could actually affect the overall potency of the offense and increase the likelihood of winning a championship. Your grumbling is not persuasive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

As he should. The offense is completely different when he makes it a point to run. For the most part they played their best offense in December and January, when Josh was running more often.

He just needs to slide or get out of bounds as much as possible(Unless it's a play we absolutely need or the playoffs). Love his heart and competitive drive. Been watching the football & the Bills for over 40 years and he's easily my favorite player of all time.

I never doubted Allen from day.  Made a big leap!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

To further put to bed the "he didn't want to be drafted here" narrative - here's a clip of James Cook getting the call. He's smiling. The family's going crazy. Some of them yelling "Buffalo!" in glee.

man i was sleeping a long time ago :D

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.