Rd 2, Pick 63 (31): RB James Cook, Georgia

Hapless Bills Fan

I'm glad Beane took Cook, he's the piece the offense has been missing. A legit dual threat RB/WR with speed to make defenses pay for covering with a LBer and also doubling Diggs. He's in Rich Eisen's top 5 sneaky good picks. Spoiler Alert....He's #1.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I'm glad Beane took Cook, he's the piece the offense has been missing. A legit dual threat RB/WR with speed to make defenses pay for covering with a LBer and also doubling Diggs. He's in Rich Eisen's top 5 sneaky good picks. Spoiler Alert....He's #1.

I do like the pick. He seems to be a nice addition to the offense. However, let's see the kid play in the NFL. Let's see how is going to be used, how much playing time he gets, and how effective or ineffective he will be. Remember the hype in KC when they picked CEH. So far, he hasn't lived up to expectations. After all, he was a RB by committee in GA and not even remotely close to a 1st round prospect. Let's wait and see...

15 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I do like the pick. He seems to be a nice addition to the offense. However, let's see the kid play in the NFL. Let's see how is going to be used, how much playing time he gets, and how effective or ineffective he will be. Remember the hype in KC when they picked CEH. So far, he hasn't lived up to expectations. After all, he was a RB by committee in GA and not even remotely close to a 1st round prospect. Let's wait and see...

Good point but remember that Clyde Edwards-Helaire ran a 4.61 at the combine.

In that regard he and Cook are not really comparable.

Also CEH was a 1st round pick FWIW.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Good point but remember that Clyde Edwards-Helaire ran a 4.61 at the combine.

In that regard he and Cook are not really comparable.

Also CEH was a 1st round pick FWIW.

I think the hype for CEH in KC seems pretty similar to the hype Cook is getting from Bills fans now. CEH was supposed to be their dynamic RB catching the ball. Giving KC another offensive weapon for defenses to worry about. Sound familiar? The two in of itself don't really equate for various reasons. Point being, I'd just like to tone down the rhetoric that Cook is going to make this offense so dangerous. Folks it's Allen's offense with a sold Oline that will make the difference. Cook as a rookie will likely have a tiny effect on the overall offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

how can a 2nd round pick be considered sneaky? What is a sneaky pick anyway?

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yet speed is the only thing on your mind that I can read from your posts

Okay, speed "is the only thing" on my mind concerning my dislike of where Cook was picked, that still doesn't explain where you came away with me wanting Breece Hall to be drafted.

I wanted the org. to hold off on drafting an RB high until next year's draft where at least two legit, 1st rd. talents might declare.

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ll let Beane split the vote and call it a day.   :)

Nothing against anyone in particular, but some people have draft day grudges that go back decades! Chill out! It happened, and it’s over and we have moved on. Life is good! 

I hear ya, there is a lot of butt hurt fans when it comes to this sort of thing, kinda funny to read their laments…, oh well, life is indeed good,👍

21 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Okay, speed "is the only thing" on my mind concerning my dislike of where Cook was picked, that still doesn't explain where you came away with me wanting Breece Hall to be drafted.

I wanted the org. to hold off on drafting an RB high until next year's draft where at least two legit, 1st rd. talents might declare.

Not likely getting either at pick 32…, 

Edited by Don Otreply

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think the hype for CEH in KC seems pretty similar to the hype Cook is getting from Bills fans now. CEH was supposed to be their dynamic RB catching the ball. Giving KC another offensive weapon for defenses to worry about. Sound familiar? The two in of itself don't really equate for various reasons. Point being, I'd just like to tone down the rhetoric that Cook is going to make this offense so dangerous. Folks it's Allen's offense with a sold Oline that will make the difference. Cook as a rookie will likely have a tiny effect on the overall offense. 

Curious why you think this? seeing as Beane tried to get a RB in free agency for this exact reason....  I'm thinking he has more of a role then you might think based on that alone.  as for it's Allen's offense of course it is it always will be, But having someone that can be a dump off option that has 4.4 speed makes Allens job easier...   That what Beane is trying to do...Here.  It's great having all world Allen but eventually he's going to get hurt if the current pace continues. Allen dumping to Cook for 9 yards is better than Josh rushing for 15 or even more.... IMHO. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think the hype for CEH in KC seems pretty similar to the hype Cook is getting from Bills fans now. CEH was supposed to be their dynamic RB catching the ball

CEH was a completely different prospect. Cook is a lot more dynamic with the ball in his hands IMO. CEH was supposed to be more of a traditional inside runner with some pass catching ability, and had just okay speed. His lack of elite playmaking ability made him a questionable 1st round pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I hear ya, there is a lot of butt hurt fans when it comes to this sort of thing, kinda funny to read their laments…, oh well, life is indeed good,👍

Not likely getting either at pick 32…, 

SB winner or not, the Cook pick will likely be what stands in the way of it happening. That's why I hate where he was taken so much.

• Eyeroll 1

16 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

You like many in here thought Breece Hall was going 1st rd, probably thought one pick higher than where C. Johnson was selected too. So what's your point?

I could see top-notch speed in any C. Johnson highlight reel, college or professional; I have to force myself to see James Cook's game-changing speed.

James Cook can be good for the Bills, he's just not the best we could have committed to at the position.

That’s because he plays RB…..and luckily, we preferred to spend out 1st round pick on a premium position and drafted the best cornerback we could’ve committed to.  Cornerback >>> RB.  If you don’t know, know you knoooooow.  

11 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I 100% agree with his top 5.  I ask my Bills fans this... Everyone goes into nickel 2 deep packages against us. I say that is why Devin did as good as he did because teams really never defended our run nor did a simple swing pass scare teams.

What are defenses going to do when teams go 2 deep, and we just swing it to cook. 

What are defenses going to do when we have Cook back there then at same time, we swing McKenzie in the backfield as well? 

This game is all about forcing defenses to your will. 2 TE sets on top of it is going to make it very hard for defenses to stay 2 deep because we now have the dynamic ability to get 5-6 yards a play with what we now have.

By Game 3 Cook is going to be driving defenses NUTS... maybe even by game 1 or 2.....

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

CEH was a completely different prospect. Cook is a lot more dynamic with the ball in his hands IMO. CEH was supposed to be more of a traditional inside runner with some pass catching ability, and had just okay speed. His lack of elite playmaking ability made him a questionable 1st round pick.

Agreed.  They are not even close to the same type of player.

if he’s talking about the “hype”, yeah, every rd 1-2 pick gets hype

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

SB winner or not, the Cook pick will likely be what stands in the way of it happening. That's why I hate where he was taken so much.

Late second after two trade backs. They probably had him rated a third rounder. There weren't any players with a second round grade left by the time they picked Cook. Your takes are persistent, certainly bull-headed, often wrong, imo. Cook will expand the capacity of the offense to get YAC and make the defenses have to prepare for multiple options on the field, as Cook is more than capable as a slot receiver. You can even line him up on the outside on occasion, as he tracks the ball very well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That’s because he plays RB…..and luckily, we preferred to spend out 1st round pick on a premium position and drafted the best cornerback we could’ve committed to.  Cornerback >>> RB.  If you don’t know, know you knoooooow.  

Or maybe they just didn't use the 1st pick on Cook because he didn't have a 1st rd. grade on him. 

• Eyeroll 1

53 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

CEH was a "fully committed to mahomes and give him what he wants" mahomes said he wanted CEH so they got him to appease mahomes.

His skill set couldn't be more different from cook, yes ceh can catch the ball well but he was brought in to be the bell cow power back that can catch the ball. Cook is being brought in to be the miss match for LBs in the passing game putting defenses in a tough spot if they want to run the 2 high. CEH can bruise you up the middle and grind out a clock but hes not a miss match for LBs. I would compare CEH to more Singletarys style but with much better hands.

16 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

It actually doesn’t matter where he was taken, and one player, a rookie RB on top of it, isn’t what makes or breaks a championship run, 

They can always draft another RB whenever, it’s not a big deal, ya gotta remember, the cap is totally fungible. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.