Rd 2, Pick 63 (31): RB James Cook, Georgia

Hapless Bills Fan

He literally said that he is a laid back, quiet guy who likes to play football. Everybody has their own personality and style. He also grew up with a brother who is a huge star, so he's probably used to hanging in the background. I thought he did a good job with all of those corny questions about chains and sneakers. I think he's just a laid back dude and I'm cool with it. Just score touchdowns. Let Josh and those guys do all the interviews. 

Here he is after winning the national championship. Slightly more animated and excited: 

Another Post game: 

Combine interview: 

His Rich Eisen interview: 

It's his style and personality. Everyone is entitled to be themselves. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, motorj said:

Motor has actually improved in pass catching and led the team in catch% it looks like with 80%, Zack had 71.9% and love Knox but he gets that title with 69%

Yeah our current running backs really dont hold a candle to Cook in this area....they might catch passes but Cool catches passes like a wide receiver......he is looking to get north/south immediately or catching the ball on the move.

• Like (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He literally said that he is a laid back, quiet guy who likes to play football. Everybody has their own personality and style. He also grew up with a brother who is a huge star, so he's probably used to hanging in the background. I thought he did a good job with all of those corny questions about chains and sneakers. I think he's just a laid back dude and I'm cool with it. Just score touchdowns. Let Josh and those guys do all the interviews. 

Here he is after winning the national championship. Slightly more animated and excited: 

Another Post game: 

Combine interview: 

I'll say.   Nothing wrong with that.   He's so laid back, it's amazing.   Rich Eisen finally said, "Hey, James, I'm going to ask you something I've never asked anyone else.  Did you just wake up?"   Eisen was looking for some conversational energy, and Cooke just doesn't swing that way.   You could tell that Eisen was thinking a couple of things.   One, that this wasn't very interesting television, and he was trying to find a way to get it juiced up.  Two, this is is the most chill guy I've ever met. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Not gonna lie, I had to turn subtitles on to understand some of what of he's saying.

Mumble-speak is pretty common nowadays in teens/young adults. Every word is the same pitch from start to finish. I catch my teen son son doing it at times, and have to make him repeat it normally.

7 hours ago, Augie said:

Well, that was painful. 

I’m guessing he would have rather been anywhere else! 

He's a painfully shy and quiet person that obviously doesn't feel comfortable having a microphone and camera in front of him. He said it himself when he was asked the kind of person he was. "Quiet" was one of the first words out of his mouth.

And that's okay. Not everyone is an extrovert who revels in being in the media and is a good public speaker. All that matter is how he performs. Ever seen interviews with Larry Bird early on? It was painful. One word answers and making sure everyone knew he didn't want to be there. But come game time, it didn't matter. I expect much the same with Cook. 

I think people (and I'm not implying you bc I think you're just talking about being in the interview room) need to lay off this "I don't think he wanted to be a Bill" narrative.

Not everyone is overly emotional and jovial. It's getting real tiresome seeing posts from Bills fans who jump to that conclusion everytime we take a player that doesn't immediately burst into tears and jump up and down. He made posts from the facility on his IG during his Pre-Draft visit. He wouldn't have done that if he didn't want to be here. He's talked about how he fell in love with the Bills during his visit. If he didn't want to be here, he wouldn't have said that.

And ultimately, if he didn't want to be here - Beane and McDermott would have picked up on that during his visit and they wouldn't have picked him.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah our current running backs really dont hold a candle to Cook in this area....they might catch passes but Cool catches passes like a wide receiver......he is looking to get north/south immediately or catching the ball on the move.

I know just saying. I think cook can pan out to be Mccafery like in the receiving game someone earlier made some nice comparisons

• Haha (+1) 1

I have a hard time seeing a guy being super unhappy with being drafted to a Super Bowl contender with a chance of playing early and often, maybe a little bit because of location, but, I think he’s just not the type of guy who likes talking to the media. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Is starting to look like he isn't a fan of the media part of the job.

I wouldn't be either. You get no time to think the question through, but the media gets plenty of time to disect every word and put their spin on it. I think NY media(Yankees or Mets) really suck. Look for a negative spin on a 9 game winning streak. Marshawn Lynch had it right. Only do what you're contractually obligated to. And only answer football questions.

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I'll say.   He must be more animated hanging with his friends.   

A lot of guys are like that, especially coming out of college.   Sure, he had a big fan base and big crowds at Georgia, but he those college guys aren't exposed to the media like they are in the pros.   They're more protected.  

Without much experience dealing with the press, he's clearly uncomfortable saying much.   He knows that the last thing he needs in his first year is a big flap with the media. 

And coming from the Miami environment he came from, don't underestimate his discomfort being on the air with a blonde white woman.   He's been told his whole life that he can get in trouble fast messing with white women.  

Guy needs some success and some experience.  Even then, he may not open up much.  

It's not 1960 anymore though Shaw 

There are plenty of interracial relationships in Miami and around the country .. actually getting pretty normal

There might be some crazy people who object, but I don't think your average everyday person cares if two adults are in love 

There's one race.. the human race

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are plenty of interracial relationships in Miami and around the country 

There might be some crazy people who object, but I don't think your average everyday person cares if two adults are in love

Don't kid yourself.  Ahmaud Arbery thought he was okay just jogging through a white neighborhood.  

Yeah, it's not 1960.  It's 2022, and Black people are still worried about those things, with good reason.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, it's not 1960.  It's 2022, and Black people are still worried about those things, with good reason.  

Really debating whether or not to post some interesting statistics right now

Edited by gobills404
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are plenty of interracial relationships in Miami and around the country .. actually getting pretty normal

There's one race.. the human race

I wouldn't go as far as to say it doesn't exist.

Cook was a star athlete on the Georgia Bulldogs and before that some high school. I don't think he's only been around small minded people where he's uncomfortable around people of another race like Shaw suggested.

Probably just an introvert until he gets to know you.

14 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say it doesn't exist.

Cook was a star athlete on the Georgia Bulldogs and before that some high school. I don't think he's only been around small minded people where he's uncomfortable around people of another race like Shaw suggested.

Probably just an introvert until he gets to know you.

Oh I know it does exist

I'm not so sheltered to think that there's not terrible human beings who are racist 

I just also think there's a lot of good people and we can overcome it

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Another Post game: 

Combine interview: 

Interestingly - 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/1/2022 at 4:53 PM, John from Riverside said:

Looks like one of those reads that scouts will want to forget they wrote in a couple of years.   Often times players going into the league is all about the fit and how they are used in the league.   Word is he has blitz pickup chops.....he has pedigree.....and his strengths are obvious on tape.   Why in the world would we take a bellcow back that takes the ball OUT of Josh Allen's hands?   We are a passing team.   And I also dont buy that he cant carry the ball.   He fit into a nitch with his college team and they had someone else run the ball between the tackles.  As an outside zone runner?  I think he fits it perfectly.

You are making things up.  He is not a 4.8 guy.....Where in the F do you get that from.

James Cook runs a 4.42. I eluded to him being fast, just not an elite burner that defenses will lose sleep over.

The 4.8 mention was me using an RB to beg the question regarding "blazing acceleration", a term that another poster used to describe a Cook attribute that I don't see him as having.; would a 4.8 speed RB be tagged as having "blazing acceleration" regardless of how much more quickly he hit top speed than a 4.40 speed RB? 

Probably not.

Speed and acceleration are two separate attributes, but I'm guessing elite-level acceleration paired with 4.42 speed would allow Cook to beat defenders to angles and pull away from them regularly with ease, I don't see that happening in the clips I watch of him (this and his inability to break tackles is why I don't care for where he was selected) and believe he was assigned an attribute solely based off his 40 time, and perhaps because we've been in need of a faster RB and the poster wants to believe we have that home-run hitter in Cook.

I don't believe we do.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.