Rd 2, Pick 63 (31): RB James Cook, Georgia

Hapless Bills Fan

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1) Motor has become an excellent pass protector.  Maybe Cook will get there, but for now he's gonna have a big adjustment there.

2) Motor was 15th in the league for YPC this season, with 4.6 - behind a poor run blocking OL that saw him tackled in the backfield a fair amount.

Cook says he can do it all, but he'll have to prove he can be productive running between the tackles.

I think you're correct.  I mean, it's always possible, but I think Cook's going to be worked in more gradually.  His role ultimately will be complex, so they'll give him spot assignments first and work him in.   I think your assessment of Motor is right.  He's very good at every aspect of his job, and McDermott values that kind of positional competence.  Cook is going to have to be very good to take the starting job this year.  2023 could be a different story.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mikemac2001 said:

about 7 Carrie’s and 5 Recs I could see that.

id rather keep him fresh he is a weapon that will make this offense extremely difficult to cover - don’t cover the flats he will chew up 7 a pop 

I dated a tall, blonde Carrie back when I lived in Dallas for a spell and let me tell you...7 of them is a LOT

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

5 or 6 games into the season, Cook will take over as the starter.

He's so much better than Motor "Hands of Stone" Singletary 

Not so sure about that. Motor was pretty damn good the latter part of last season. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

Chris McCaffrey had just shy of 200 touches (117 rushes, 80 catches) his rookie year. I’d say that is probably what we could expect for Cook

I'd be shocked if he gets close to those stats. McCaffrey was the undisputed number 1 RB, high 1st round draft choice, and the focal point of their offense. No way Cook is any of these. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'd be shocked if he gets close to those stats. McCaffrey was the undisputed number 1 RB, high 1st round draft choice, and the focal point of their offense. No way Cook is any of these. 

I mean John Stewart had 198 carries that year and Cam Newton had 139. Maybe it will be less but I think less than 12 touches a game is possible for Cook but we won’t know until the season

I don’t really understand seeing him as a third down back this year with an increased role as the season goes on “limiting his ceiling”. 

He’ll get his chance to prove it, and the Bills probably hope he’ll show he’s the guy for the following season when Singletary’s contract is up. Motor has already shown he’s a good every down back though. He will be tough to unseat by a rookie.

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I find it puzzling seeing so many people already trying to limit the ceiling of Cook.  This kid in our offense has a lot of upside and potential.

Labeling him just a 3rd down back is so short changing this kids potential.  He has a lot more potential than just that, and I think he will be used along side Devin a lot like how Kamara is used for the Saints when he was running with Ingram.  

Trust me, when all the dust settles James Cook will be alot more than a 3rd down back.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

5 or 6 games into the season, Cook will take over as the starter.

He's so much better than Motor "Hands of Stone" Singletary 

Motor has actually improved in pass catching and led the team in catch% it looks like with 80%, Zack had 71.9% and love Knox but he gets that title with 69%

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I find it puzzling seeing so many people already trying to limit the ceiling of Cook.  This kid in our offense has a lot of upside and potential.

Labeling him just a 3rd down back is so short changing this kids potential.  He has a lot more potential than just that, and I think he will be used along side Devin a lot like how Kamara is used for the Saints when he was running with Ingram.  

I'd guess he'll be a 1st & 2nd down back more than third to start his career.

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Trust me, when all the dust settles James Cook will be alot more than a 3rd down back.

4 hours ago, Beerball said:

I'd guess he'll be a 1st & 2nd down back more than third to start his career.

It's funny how the game has changed.

I believe the Bills threw the ball more (over 60% of the time) on all 3 downs.

I think probably Cook will alternate series more than he alternates plays.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

Well, that was painful. 

I’m guessing he would have rather been anywhere else! 

I feel like Aaron Schobel is not a big fan favorite because he was quiet and reserved. Never a rah-rah type of guy or very vocal, but boy did he do his talking on the field. I'm hoping that is the vibe I am picking up.

If not look at Aaron Williams. Dude was not all that thrilled to be here early, was kind of a prick actually. He grew to love Buffalo, the team and the fan base. He wrote one of the all time farewell letters to a fan base, team and city.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/aaron-williams-bills-retirement

Hoping this is more of an Aaron Schobel/ Aaron Williams story than a Gilmore/ Watkins one.

For now I'll sit on the sideline of judgement and see what he says on the field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Is starting to look like he isn't a fan of the media part of the job.

I'll say.   He must be more animated hanging with his friends.   

A lot of guys are like that, especially coming out of college.   Sure, he had a big fan base and big crowds at Georgia, but he those college guys aren't exposed to the media like they are in the pros.   They're more protected.  

Without much experience dealing with the press, he's clearly uncomfortable saying much.   He knows that the last thing he needs in his first year is a big flap with the media. 

And coming from the Miami environment he came from, don't underestimate his discomfort being on the air with a blonde white woman.   He's been told his whole life that he can get in trouble fast messing with white women.  

Guy needs some success and some experience.  Even then, he may not open up much.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I'll say.   He must be more animated hanging with his friends.   

A lot of guys are like that, especially coming out of college.   Sure, he had a big fan base and big crowds at Georgia, but he those college guys aren't exposed to the media like they are in the pros.   They're more protected.  

Without much experience dealing with the press, he's clearly uncomfortable saying much.   He knows that the last thing he needs in his first year is a big flap with the media. 

And coming from the Miami environment he came from, don't underestimate his discomfort being on the air with a blonde white woman.   He's been told his whole life that he can get in trouble fast messing with white women.  

Guy needs some success and some experience.  Even then, he may not open up much.  

This is probably true.  Wants to be careful not to say the wrong thing and have the press blow it out of proportion.

Its better to say too little and do his talking on the field with his play.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.