Rd 2, Pick 63 (31): RB James Cook, Georgia

Hapless Bills Fan

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I still see White as the better player overall and would fill the same need, also drafted later.  I think this was a reach and Beane knew it or he wouldn’t have traded down twice before doing it.  Based on their track record, they do not deserve the benefit of the doubt on RB evaluation.

………

11 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

You are incorrect in alot of this, just my opinion.

There are two ways to improve the roster, FA and draft.  If you disagree that we should have targeted a CB in FA, fine name him.  But we had a HUGE hole at corner.  As you said, "if we were a press man" team, well now we have thr ability to run more multiple looks on defense, ie: man, press man, press zone.  Not to mention that big/long WRs killed Levi.  Who cares about scheme, Devante Parker owned Levi as did Claypool in game 1 against Steelers...cost us big.  Elam fixes that problem and gives us much needed skill at that position group.

You don't overload talent at a single position, and leave a gaping hole elsewhere.  That's like building a pool, while your basement is flooded.  Not a good investment, and "balance" while improving the team with quality players is key.

They didn't have a HUGE hole at CB.........White, Johnson and Jackson are 3 good starters.

They have a lack of proven, high quality depth.

Which is also the case at WR.......LT.......DE........Safety......Guard......a lot of positions........they aren't just overloaded everywhere. 

And some of those positions have proven A LOT harder to fill/address than the relatively easy-to-fill CB position in Buffalo.

You are just assuming that Tre White won't make it back and that now the rookie Elam will be ready to step right in for him and excel if he doesn't.

Two assumptions and there is plenty of reason to believe that neither may be right.

I am tired of arguing against the HUGE HOLE theory.......... the same way I was rolling my eyes in dismissal at you when you thought the Bills season was over after Tre White got injured.

And I was proven right..........they then proceeded to play their best football the next two months with a 6th rounder and UDFA starting at CB.

Sure they had a couple bad games defensively because of a lack of pass rush.........but Tre White probably played the worst game of his career at KC in the AFCCG  so assuming that he or a rookie CB would make ANY difference whatsoever in those exact situations is just rosterbation.

It's not consistent with what we've seen from this team/defense under McDermott. 

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I still see White as the better player overall and would fill the same need, also drafted later.  I think this was a reach and Beane knew it or he wouldn’t have traded down twice before doing it.  Based on their track record, they do not deserve the benefit of the doubt on RB evaluation.

I think that being knew that there was value in those six round pics and gamble that Cook would be available a few spots down cook fits perfectly

37 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They didn't have a HUGE hole at CB.........White, Johnson and Jackson are 3 good starters.

Which is also the case at WR.......LT.......DE........Safety......Guard......a lot of positions........they aren't just overloaded everywhere. 

And some of those positions have proven A LOT harder to fill/address than the relatively easy-to-fill CB position in Buffalo.

You are just assuming that Tre White won't make it back and that now the rookie Elam will be ready to step right in for him and excel if he doesn't.

Two assumptions and there is plenty of reason to believe that neither may be right.

I am tired of arguing against the HUGE HOLE theory.......... the same way I was rolling my eyes in dismissal at you when you thought the Bills season was over after Tre White got injured.

And I was proven right..........they then proceeded to play their best football the next two months with a 6th rounder and UDFA starting at CB.

Sure they had a couple bad games defensively because of a lack of pass rush.........but Tre White probably played the worst game of his career at KC in the AFCCG  so assuming that he or a rookie CB would make ANY difference whatsoever in those exact situations is just rosterbation.

It's not consistent with what we've seen from this team/defense under McDermott. 

What is rosturbation

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Glad you aren't making any decisions.  Even the GM admitted it was a position of great need, along with anyone who has watched the team over the last year.  We lost one of our starters and the other is injured.  Yea lets just roll into the season like that.  Dane Jackson isn't horrible and still has room to get better but he definitely isnt good enough to go into the season as the only starting option.  CB was definitely a huge hole compared to the other positions, and I think a lot of people overthought it.

38 minutes ago, bahamasbills said:

Glad you aren't making any decisions.  Even the GM admitted it was a position of great need, along with anyone who has watched the team over the last year.  We lost one of our starters and the other is injured.  Yea lets just roll into the season like that.  Dane Jackson isn't horrible and still has room to get better but he definitely isnt good enough to go into the season as the only starting option.  CB was definitely a huge hole compared to the other positions, and I think a lot of people overthought it.

I get it, you have no faith in Tre White being able to meet the relatively standard 9 month return plan.

Either way, they have plenty of depth now.........they have like 8-10 CB's and plenty of guys with excellent measurables/traits even if they weren't high pedigree draft prospects.........which means little because Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson aren't either.

Talent-wise and taking scheme into account it's maybe the deepest they've ever been at CB in their history.  

The OL is thin and sketchy and Jake Kumerow is the top backup to Stefon Diggs and Gabe Davis........but it's a defense driven league, amirite?

The hand wringing at CB sorta' reminds me of the justification for the Cody Ford pick..........not because Elam won't be better than Ford,  he's much more talented and drafted earlier........but rather just because Beane thinks he needs something doesn't mean he will make the best choice or that the opportunity cost won't be significant.  

With Ford they passed on big time WR's to take him and then when he failed to impress at RT they moved him to G........which forced a roster move at G that turned out to be Wyatt Teller getting traded.

Not saying Beane just cost himself TWO All Pros again or anything but don't tell me I am wrong because that GM said he needed something.

Job #1 is protecting the QB.........Beane also said that right after the season........acknowledging their struggles in that regard in 2021.    125 combined pressures and sacks is ghastly.   Where are the re-inforcements there?   Saffold for Williams mainly just made them older and less versatile and more prone to losing time to injury.    

Edited by BADOLBILZ

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Im hoping Tre is back week 1, as that is what Beane said this week.  And I never said the season was over last year without Tre, not sure where you pulled that comment from.  You just are making up things now.

You list WR, LT, DE, S, and G.  That's all i need to know about your misguided opinion.  You say round 1 should be used on high-price FA types, then jnclude S and G?

Newsflash, we just drafted two DEs last year, let them develop, not to mention signing Von Miller.

I could go the list of positions that you listed and do the exact same thing.  G, I would give you, but again I'm picking CB over G all day, unless thr player value doesn't align.  There were 0 Gs left worth taking at that point, Beane even stated Elam was their last 1st round graded player remaining on the board (hence the trade up).

You picked a strange hill to die on, with these arguments with everyone.  Let's see how things play out.  Unlike your poor memory accusing me of what I said (didnot) about Tre, I will remember to carry on this conversation once season starts.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So let me get this straight.  The positions I mentioned the Bills as being "set" at were QB and WR1 and LT.

Should one conclude you believe we should have drafted a LT or a QB at the bottom of the 1st, while we have Josh Allen signed for $258M through 2028 and Dawkins signed for 3 more years with $12M dead cap, simply because those are the positions which get resigned easy-peasy for >$20M?

C'mon man.

I'm pretty sure that if a pass rusher or WR the Bills liked with a 1st round grade had fallen to them, they would have pulled the trigger, but we were at the spot in the first round where the guy drafted ahead of us projects as an inside LB, and the next DE has "underdeveloped pass rush" as a tag, then folks were drafting IOL and safety.

Question: what exactly do you believe the Bills should have done with Pick 25 in the 1st round of the 2022 NFL draft?

Elam is a potential cb 1 in 3-4 years, as Tre White hits his 30's. And cb is most certainly a premium position. 

He can make that argument about the 2nd and 3rd picks, but doesn't hold water just bc cb was a position of need. 

Not based on 'value' or 'need', but simply based on the fact it's been so long since the Bills Drafted, developed, and used a RB that produced terrific results, I LOVE this pick for the Bills. To get a RB of Cook's caliber AND be able to pick Elam in the 1st so that the team can build deeper CB play, was incredible IMHO. 

Cook will be a very important part of the Offense in the years to come, in my mind. I don't think he's 'the one' out of the gate, but I think they utilize him in specific situations with the intent to increase his role as the season goes on...love this guy!

• Like (+1) 2

Now the question will be who sticks at RB on the roster? After Cook, Singletary is a lock. He's not going anywhere. Taiwan Jones was resigned for ST purposes. I don't see them cutting him, though it could possibly happen depending on how the ST group shakes out. I think both Moss and Johnson are on the roster bubble at this point. We usually only have 2 active RB's on game day because of how they use Taiwan. The 3rd guy is really going to have to stand out and I believe Johnson will show more value than Moss. 

13 minutes ago, H2o said:

Now the question will be who sticks at RB on the roster? After Cook, Singletary is a lock. He's not going anywhere. Taiwan Jones was resigned for ST purposes. I don't see them cutting him, though it could possibly happen depending on how the ST group shakes out. I think both Moss and Johnson are on the roster bubble at this point. We usually only have 2 active RB's on game day because of how they use Taiwan. The 3rd guy is really going to have to stand out and I believe Johnson will show more value than Moss. 

Yes I see Moss getting cut.  Duke is just the better player.  

19 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Actually this report makes me happy, he is a reciever put of the backfield. If they can coach up his blocking he could be an effective weapon. I am not a fan of having one premier running back on a team but would prefer a 1a and 1b type situation and going with the hot hand. 

Singletary started performing much better once he became the #1 guy, who got the overwhelming majority of touches out of the backfield. He never seemed to get into a groove when he and Moss were 1A and 1B. Not saying it can't be done with Cook, but I'm not holding out hope that Singletary will perform like he did the back half of the year if he's in a near-equal timeshare with Cook.

1 hour ago, junior said:

Singletary started performing much better once he became the #1 guy, who got the overwhelming majority of touches out of the backfield. He never seemed to get into a groove when he and Moss were 1A and 1B. Not saying it can't be done with Cook, but I'm not holding out hope that Singletary will perform like he did the back half of the year if he's in a near-equal timeshare with Cook.

I don't necessarily mean they split carries each week but more of the idea they go with best back for the situation. A large part of my comment is based on the fact that teams that rely on one back seem to not do well in the playoffs in general. 

On 5/1/2022 at 10:17 AM, Luka said:

Well bud you're gonna have a rough go of it from here on out. This is how you maintain a team with a $250 million QB on it. Beane doesn't have the luxury of going out and making big splashes in free agency anymore. It's going to be need over "value" every year. And seriously, these grades placed on players only ever matter when trying make hindsight arguments after a player plays for a year or two. The only grade that matters is the one Beane has placed on the player. He doesn't look at Todd McShay's mock draft and go "oh, if Todd thinks this of that player, I better move him on my big board."

Concerning Cook, he was argued to be the best receiving back in this draft. We were not looking for a thumper or a guy that can carry the ball 30+ times a game. Josh needs a reliable outlet out of the backfield at the very least, something Moss and Singletary have proven they can not be. But more than that, just like we're seeing with the tight end room this year, the Bills are looking for guys that can also be split out. I think we're going to see more uptempo. Josh and Dorsey need guys that can catch the football and make plays downfield and in open space and they have to be able to do it from various positions on the field. Howard and Knox are good blockers but have the athleticism to stand up and create mismatches with linebackers and safeties. Cook is great on the outside and has the speed to turn the corner or hit holes in zone runs but he's also an excellent receiver and has the speed to turn quick crosses and wheel routes in to big plays.   

except for Von Miller...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

The only thing he shares with Dalvin is a name.  

Watching his video, that's what I think, too.  But someone said if you watch Dalvin in college, he looks a lot like James.   So, we'll see.   If the Bills just drafted Dalvin Cook in the second round (after trading down twice!), Beane is the GM of the decade.  

I think the Bills just got a really good #2 back who could possibly become a #1.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.