Rd 2, Pick 63 (31): RB James Cook, Georgia

Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Can you provide any games specifically and/or players who caught him from behind? Not saying your lying but would like to see the context. 

yeah I would like to see that also…. 

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Can you provide any games specifically and/or players who caught him from behind? Not saying your lying but would like to see the context. 

I don't remember specifically against who or what particular plays.

I just saw him beating people with that initial burst but then maxing out his top end speed and being run down from behind.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't remember specifically against who or what particular plays.

I just saw him beating people with that initial burst but then maxing out his top end speed and being run down from behind.

I know, I know, different kinds of backs, but ... given that we can hope Cook will steal Zack Moss's carries, and given that Moss's longest run last year was 17 yards, I think I'll take "50 yards and caught from behind."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

By LHF I mean they used their picks on very easy positions to fill and all non-premium positions as I defined them........zone CB, RB, WLB, slot WR, punter.

They got tunnel vision on a CB because Levi Wallace was wearing the wrong color undies when he made his decision where to sign his sub $5M aav deal..........and they took a RB in round 2 because the guy they thought they had signed for $3.5M aav backed out on them.

I assign $ value to picks........a first should be a guy who you would have to pay $20M+ aav to if they were at their ceiling and a free agent today.

BadOl, as far as contract values, this "a first should be a guy who you would have to pay $20M+ aav is ....let's just say, untenable for a team drafting late in the 1st round.

Reference:  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/ 

The players who are getting AAV are QB, WR, OLB/Edge/the occasional DT (pass rushers), a few LT, and 2 CB (Denzel Ward and Jalen Ramsey)

And in fact, we see that primarily, those are the postions drafted at the top of the 1st round.  But the top guys go quickly, and there aren't enough of them to fall to the bottom of the first - which is why we start seeing safeties, IOL, ILB and DTs drafted there.

So

1) your principle would argue that if a team is set at QB, WR1, and LT......the only players they should draft in the first round are potential pass rushers and perhaps WR or CB - whether or not we feel there is value at those positions when we draft in the 1st. 

2) even so, as a CB, if Kaiir Elam proves out to his potential ceiling, he will fall into that "guys you pay $20M AAV" category.

By the way, I don't think they "got tunnel vision because Levi Wallace was wearing the wrong color undies".  Like Harrison Phillips, I don't think they really wanted Wallace back here enough to prioritize signing him at the very reasonable deal he got.  They might have matched, if they had nothing going on - or they might not.  I think they wanted an upgrade, meaning a CB who can potentially play Man without getting pwn'd, and who can play physical at the LOS but be able to recover if he doesn't win.  Levi Wallace was Not That Guy.  Kaiir Elam, based on scouting, might become That Guy.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

By LHF I mean they used their picks on very easy positions to fill and all non-premium positions as I defined them........zone CB, RB, WLB, slot WR, punter.

They got tunnel vision on a CB because Levi Wallace was wearing the wrong color undies when he made his decision where to sign his sub $5M aav deal..........and they took a RB in round 2 because the guy they thought they had signed for $3.5M aav backed out on them.

I assign $ value to picks........a first should be a guy who you would have to pay $20M+ aav to if they were at their ceiling and a free agent today.

A second would have to be in that $12M-$16M range for me.........which is prime real estate for a top end zone-system CB prospect.

Cook would have made sense value-wise in the late 3rd.

That's just how I judge drafts..........value and overall talent acquired.

Not the same as some grade it..........a lot of the grades you will see will be just based on how they addressed immediate needs..........which is then contradicted by the assumption that you won't know if the players were good until they get 3 years in your system.:lol:

Sure losing Levi factored-into their decision.  But beyond that, people have been clamoring for them to upgrade that position for years regardless, and they were trying to do it early last year, but didn't find value.  And Beane said he was their last 1st round graded player, so it was BPA.  I'm not sure what other premium position you were looking for there as CBs certainly get $20M/year if at their ceiling and on the market, like Tre would.

As for Cook, after losing-out on McKissic they signed Duke Johnson, who is a more productive player.  And how many draft experts and fans here were clamoring for them to add a RB (albeit Breece Hall) to make them less 1-dimensional?  Now they have a guy who can play as a WR.  And he was essentially a 3rd rounder.

Just out of curiosity, who would you have taken?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, junior said:

Scout quotes per long-time Packers and NFL beat writer, Bob McGinn:

AFC scout: “He gets a lot of play because he’s Dalvin’s brother but he’s nowhere near Dalvin Cook. He’s got a little bit of juice but he’s not real big. He can catch out of the backfield. I can see somebody taking him as a third-down back. He’s under Rachaad White for me.”

NFC scout: ”I think his most carries in a game was 10. Dalvin’s brother. Competitive little guy, which you would expect. He maximizes what he has. He might hang around as a backup and special teamer. Third back. Not much talent. People are trying to make something out of him but I’m confused by that.”

AFC scout: “He would be the best receiving threat (of the running backs).”

NFC scout: “He has the versatility to do a lot of different things. He may not be a true No. 1 running back but as a 1B he can do things in the passing game. He’d be a good, solid rotation guy that will make some plays for you.”

AFC scout: “Late third round. He didn’t start behind Zamir White. Played on passing downs. Excellent receiver. Has quickness in his routes. Makes big plays. Productive as a complementary back but never as a starter.”

NFC scout: “Underutilized. Not as talented as his brother but talented enough to get drafted in the late third or fourth round. He’s a backup only. He catches the ***** out of the ball but he can’t run the ball.”

AFC scout: “Smooth, one-cut slasher with linear burst. Like his production as a receiver but didn’t see dynamic or creative run skills, instincts or elusiveness. Most production was straight line and clear path. Not real big or violent. Unselfish teammate, stays humble, loves ball.”

AFC scout: “They split him out as a receiver. Average size but he’s athletic and explosive with acceleration and good speed. He can exploit a crease on inside runs. Can jump cut with quick feet and balance. He’s got the speed to get outside. He’s sudden in space. Has natural hands. Ripped off an 82-yard run against Alabama in 2020. He ran by guys that had pursuit angles on him. His issue is pass protection. He’s not real big. He’s done kick returning. Third-round area.”

AFC scout: “He’s a down the line guy.”

Yep, this is what I see, especially the Rachaad White comment. Don’t get this pick at all

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, junior said:

Scout quotes per long-time Packers and NFL beat writer, Bob McGinn:

AFC scout: “He gets a lot of play because he’s Dalvin’s brother but he’s nowhere near Dalvin Cook. He’s got a little bit of juice but he’s not real big. He can catch out of the backfield. I can see somebody taking him as a third-down back. He’s under Rachaad White for me.”

NFC scout: ”I think his most carries in a game was 10. Dalvin’s brother. Competitive little guy, which you would expect. He maximizes what he has. He might hang around as a backup and special teamer. Third back. Not much talent. People are trying to make something out of him but I’m confused by that.”

AFC scout: “He would be the best receiving threat (of the running backs).”

NFC scout: “He has the versatility to do a lot of different things. He may not be a true No. 1 running back but as a 1B he can do things in the passing game. He’d be a good, solid rotation guy that will make some plays for you.”

AFC scout: “Late third round. He didn’t start behind Zamir White. Played on passing downs. Excellent receiver. Has quickness in his routes. Makes big plays. Productive as a complementary back but never as a starter.”

NFC scout: “Underutilized. Not as talented as his brother but talented enough to get drafted in the late third or fourth round. He’s a backup only. He catches the ***** out of the ball but he can’t run the ball.”

AFC scout: “Smooth, one-cut slasher with linear burst. Like his production as a receiver but didn’t see dynamic or creative run skills, instincts or elusiveness. Most production was straight line and clear path. Not real big or violent. Unselfish teammate, stays humble, loves ball.”

AFC scout: “They split him out as a receiver. Average size but he’s athletic and explosive with acceleration and good speed. He can exploit a crease on inside runs. Can jump cut with quick feet and balance. He’s got the speed to get outside. He’s sudden in space. Has natural hands. Ripped off an 82-yard run against Alabama in 2020. He ran by guys that had pursuit angles on him. His issue is pass protection. He’s not real big. He’s done kick returning. Third-round area.”

AFC scout: “He’s a down the line guy.”

Actually this report makes me happy, he is a reciever put of the backfield. If they can coach up his blocking he could be an effective weapon. I am not a fan of having one premier running back on a team but would prefer a 1a and 1b type situation and going with the hot hand. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

BadOl, as far as contract values, this "a first should be a guy who you would have to pay $20M+ aav is ....let's just say, untenable for a team drafting late in the 1st round.

The players who are getting AAV are QB, WR, OLB/Edge/the occasional DT (pass rushers), a few LT, and 2 CB (Denzel Ward and Jalen Ramsey)

And in fact, we see that primarily, those are the postions drafted at the top of the 1st round.  But the top guys go quickly, and there aren't enough of them to fall to the bottom of the first - which is why we start seeing safeties, IOL, ILB and DTs drafted there.

So

1) your principle would argue that if a team is set at QB, WR1, and LT......the only players they should draft in the first round are potential pass rushers and perhaps WR or CB - whether or not we feel there is value at those positions when we draft in the 1st. 

2) even so, as a CB, if Kaiir Elam proves out to his potential ceiling, he will fall into that "guys you pay $20M AAV" category.

By the way, I don't think they "got tunnel vision because Levi Wallace was wearing the wrong color undies".  Like Harrison Phillips, I don't think they really wanted Wallace back here enough to prioritize signing him at the very reasonable deal he got.  They might have matched, if they had nothing going on - or they might not.  I think they wanted an upgrade, meaning a CB who can potentially play Man without getting pwn'd, and who can play physical at the LOS but be able to recover if he doesn't win.  Levi Wallace was Not That Guy.  Kaiir Elam, based on scouting, might become That Guy.

It might suggest trading out of those picks. His methodology is sound. 

• Disagree 1

29 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Yep, this is what I see, especially the Rachaad White comment. Don’t get this pick at all

In a vacuum, well, maybe he's not the best player available at 63.

But picks aren't made in a vacuum. They're made to (1) fill an immediate need, other than what you can fill for more money in free agency or a trade; and (2) build depth for the future when the current contributors become too expensive in free agency.

I see this as mostly (1) - filling an immediate need. We had basically no speed out of the backfield last year. Recognizing that, Daboll started using (ultimately over-using) McKenzie as a substitute, engineering ways to get him outside. But he's not in any way a running back; not even a CJ Spiller type speed back, so that was no plan for improvement in 2022. So they could've traded for a Gio Bernard (a guy without much left in the tank), could've signed a Philip Lindsey type (not the worst idea), or, as they did, tried to fill the roster need by using the 63rd pick overall. There isn't much room elsewhere to crack the roster since McD is unlikely (other than Elam, and I guess Araiza) to depend on non blue-chip rookies to fill a critical position given the fact that this team has Super Bowl aspirations and a Super Bowl-worthy roster already. If Daboll's Giants had used the 63rd overall pick on Cook, well, they would've been idiots. Thankfully we're not in that position anymore.

15 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Judging by the response I received I don’t think that’s going to happen, at least not from that poster.

Yeah, that was an interesting response he gave you 😂…. Sometimes people see things that don’t exist…. 

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Yeah, that was an interesting response he gave you 😂…. Sometimes people see things that don’t exist…. 

And sometimes people are incapable of seeing things which clearly exist.

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, Luka said:

This is how you maintain a team with a $250 million QB on it.

That take couldn't make less sense in this context.

This type of draft is the exact opposite of that philosophy.

It was a draft to address immediate needs that you think will help you in the very short term.

The way you maintain a team with a $250M QB on it is to keep infusing cheap talent into the expensive premium positions of your systems..........because it's THOSE players you can't afford to keep after contract 1 or replace in free agency with a $250M QB.

Any team can afford a Levi Wallace or JD McKissic or a slot receiver,  punter etc............even one's with $250M QB.

Instead of just parroting something you've heard someone say............try understanding the concept, bud. ;)

5 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Not the best of reads, to be fair.

Looks like one of those reads that scouts will want to forget they wrote in a couple of years.   Often times players going into the league is all about the fit and how they are used in the league.   Word is he has blitz pickup chops.....he has pedigree.....and his strengths are obvious on tape.   Why in the world would we take a bellcow back that takes the ball OUT of Josh Allen's hands?   We are a passing team.   And I also dont buy that he cant carry the ball.   He fit into a nitch with his college team and they had someone else run the ball between the tackles.  As an outside zone runner?  I think he fits it perfectly.

21 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

You are making things up. He gets caught from behind plenty in the highlights I've watched on him.

It's rare that he even gets the opportunity to turn a carry into a foot race because he's taken to the turf so often on first contact.

He'll be a nice receiving target out of the backfield, but there's no reason to begin imagining qualities that didn't show up regularly. 

You are making things up.  He is not a 4.8 guy.....Where in the F do you get that from.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Garrett Williams said:

Just saw a replay of Cook finding out about who was drafting him. This just may be his personality, but he didn't look happy. And then his press conference he really looked like a guy who is living a nightmare turn of events.  First thing to came to my mind was seeing a kid opening a huge Christmas present and seeing 10 pair of underwear or socks.

I know I'm probably imagining it, but he looked so unenthused about the situation he is in. Especially, after you see Terrel Bernard speak and realize Cook and Bernard are barely on the same planet, personality wise and enthusiasm wise. i can understand if he was dreaming of being drafted by Tampa or Miami or Atlanta or Tennessee so hopefully, I'm way wrong (and I am quite often) I do Like this draft. Nice having a great group of Exec's running this team. Go Bills!

Do you realize that he trains in the offseason with Motor?  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So

1) No........right off the bat you've somehow misunderstood my philosophy.

A team is never "set" at premium positions.

You read all my posts.........how many times have I told the Aaron Donald story? 100?

Thinking that you are "set" in the rapidly changing NFL is the first step onto the slippery slope of needy drafting.

I know most teams actually draft for need,  regardless of what they say............but that is also one of the reasons why 1/4 of the HC's and/or regimes get changed every year and why we haven't seen a repeat SB champion in a LONG time.

Ultimately the draft should be about doing what is right to achieve long term success........which is done first thru great QB play and second thru consistently winning matchups at key positions.

If your philosophy changes from draft to draft then it's not process oriented.  

As you may recall......I've been saying forever that the draft is a process of organization building.......not just an annual event to fill needs.

So people trying to Opinion Control Police me are wasting their time..........if it's not process........it's not going to get the stamp of approval of my individual and ultimately inconsequential opinion.:rolleyes:

Long term success is best achieved by getting the most value from your drafts and utilizing free agency to fill needs........preferably at less expensive positions(like the one's the Bills drafted).

2) The reason I say that I believe they got tunnel vision on a CB is because Beane said he didn't even talk to any teams about moving up before pick 20.   I can definitely buy that none of the CB's were worth moving up higher than that......they've got notable flaws and ceiling limitations.

But none of the players at other premium positions were either?   Trades were being made for value that was far below normal.........and Beane wasn't even checking that?   I don't buy that they didn't have higher grades on a receiver.........unless their BPA was actually colored by their perception of need.     Which has been my concern thru this process.

This is not the first time we have had a Bills team drafting with the perception that they were ALREADY a Super Bowl contender or favorite...........it was this way almost every year throughout the 1990's.    As I've said..........I've seen this kind of draft pattern before.   Maybe this is the new normal but I hope it's not.  

Either way,  it is what it is and the draft was A LOT of laughs on TSW this year either way. :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.