Rd 2, Pick 63 (31): RB James Cook, Georgia

Hapless Bills Fan

13 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Draft coverage caught him right after he just managed to calm the room down, just some poor timing.

James Cook works out with Singleterry in the off-season along with his brother do we really think that he’s not excited about going to the bills people get too worked up over the stuff

7 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

You are making things up. He gets caught from behind plenty in the highlights I've watched on him.

It's rare that he even gets the opportunity to turn a carry into a foot race because he's taken to the turf so often on first contact.

He'll be a nice receiving target out of the backfield, but there's no reason to begin imagining qualities that didn't show up regularly. 

I literally have never seen him get caught from behind in a straight line by a defender there are defenders that take Angles from the side to intercept him at a certain point from trying to score a touchdown he is plenty fast

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just saw a replay of Cook finding out about who was drafting him. This just may be his personality, but he didn't look happy. And then his press conference he really looked like a guy who is living a nightmare turn of events.  First thing to came to my mind was seeing a kid opening a huge Christmas present and seeing 10 pair of underwear or socks.

I know I'm probably imagining it, but he looked so unenthused about the situation he is in. Especially, after you see Terrel Bernard speak and realize Cook and Bernard are barely on the same planet, personality wise and enthusiasm wise. i can understand if he was dreaming of being drafted by Tampa or Miami or Atlanta or Tennessee so hopefully, I'm way wrong (and I am quite often) I do Like this draft. Nice having a great group of Exec's running this team. Go Bills!

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Garrett Williams said:

Just saw a replay of Cook finding out about who was drafting him. This just may be his personality, but he didn't look happy. And then his press conference he really looked like a guy who is living a nightmare turn of events.  First thing to came to my mind was seeing a kid opening a huge Christmas present and seeing 10 pair of underwear or socks.

I know I'm probably imagining it, but he looked so unenthused about the situation he is in. Especially, after you see Terrel Bernard speak and realize Cook and Bernard are barely on the same planet, personality wise and enthusiasm wise. i can understand if he was dreaming of being drafted by Tampa or Miami or Atlanta or Tennessee so hopefully, I'm way wrong (and I am quite often) I do Like this draft. Nice having a great group of Exec's running this team. Go Bills!

Im going to shed some light on this whole thing. His father died less then 2 years ago. He was his personal trainer.. his life... they had a very close relationship. At the presser he wore a picture of his father. This is a dude that does not like to show true emotions. I am sure his father had his favorite teams and he had his favorite teams. 

Also at the presser he talked about "it not hitting him yet"

The dude is going through a wide range of emotions.  Jim Kelly did not want to play for the Bills at all... Maybe this kid wanted to play/live where its warmer? who knowns. 1 week in buffalo with teamates will be all it takes.. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't like RB picks early either.

I think they basically got a 2nd rounder in the 1st round,  and a 3rd rounder in the 2nd round.........and a 5th-6th rounder in the 3rd.

And in the process gave away a 4th round pick in a year where there was 2nd round talent available in round 4.

Basically they did what I dislike the team to do in the draft..........they just tried to make a small profit addressing needs at lesser positions of value in their systems......... instead of having a higher standard.

If you draft like that consistently it eventually takes a toll on your roster.........it was a problem with the 90's Bills........they were often already drafting special teamers in mid rounds instead of gambling on upside and because of that eventually the Parcells Patriots and Johnson Dolphins caught up and passed them, roster wise.

I would have passed on Cook too........but Cook is a potentially valuable player...........I can like him and not like the value where he was picked.

This is the way the draft goes sometimes from a fan perspective.

In all of the other McBeane drafts they did better for value.

Really the Cody Ford trade was his only real glaring L prior to losing some battles this weekend, IMO.

But in picking up some low hanging fruit.........a zone CB,  a RB,  a WLB,  a slot receiver and a punter..........they may actually end up with a pretty decent amount of starters at least.

They had Elam as a 1st.  And they know CBs and CB was a glaring need.  The Chefs traded away more to go up and get one.

As for Cook, maybe a reach but they traded down several times, which allowed them to trade-up to get Shakir, and the next RB didn't go until almost a full round later.  And he's an excellent receiver, something everyone was clamoring for (and again, Shakir).  If he can become a 3 down RB, this is a homerun pick.

Bernard...I'll wait and see.

As for the 4th round pick they gave up, the Ravens took a punter with it.  The Bills got one in the 6th.

I'm not sure what the "low hanging fruit" comment means, but if they get several starters, who cares where it was hanging?

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Garrett Williams said:

He seemed restrained.  No problem there.  Said how excited he was.  Young kid, give him time to acclimate to the press.

Take a look at some of the pictures on the Bills website.  Smiling when not in front of the camera and looking more comfortable.

How could he not be excited to play with Allen, Diggs and co.?

• Like (+1) 3

So we all see a video of a guy who isn’t doing backflips after getting drafted, but why does everyone have to have that reaction? Have you watched other interviews from him where he shows tons of emotion that would make you think this way? Maybe he’s just a calm guy by nature, maybe he didn’t feel the need to ham it up for the camera…to me your thinking is the 20 years of drought thinking. The Bills are a destination now, players want to play in Buffalo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

it's almost like every person is different...go  figure

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't like RB picks early either.

I think they basically got a 2nd rounder in the 1st round,  and a 3rd rounder in the 2nd round.........and a 5th-6th rounder in the 3rd.

And in the process gave away a 4th round pick in a year where there was 2nd round talent available in round 4.

Basically they did what I dislike the team to do in the draft..........they just tried to make a small profit addressing needs at lesser positions of value in their systems......... instead of having a higher standard.

If you draft like that consistently it eventually takes a toll on your roster.........it was a problem with the 90's Bills........they were often already drafting special teamers in mid rounds instead of gambling on upside and because of that eventually the Parcells Patriots and Johnson Dolphins caught up and passed them, roster wise.

I would have passed on Cook too........but Cook is a potentially valuable player...........I can like him and not like the value where he was picked.

This is the way the draft goes sometimes from a fan perspective.

In all of the other McBeane drafts they did better for value.

Really the Cody Ford trade was his only real glaring L prior to losing some battles this weekend, IMO.

But in picking up some low hanging fruit.........a zone CB,  a RB,  a WLB,  a slot receiver and a punter..........they may actually end up with a pretty decent amount of starters at least.

Well bud you're gonna have a rough go of it from here on out. This is how you maintain a team with a $250 million QB on it. Beane doesn't have the luxury of going out and making big splashes in free agency anymore. It's going to be need over "value" every year. And seriously, these grades placed on players only ever matter when trying make hindsight arguments after a player plays for a year or two. The only grade that matters is the one Beane has placed on the player. He doesn't look at Todd McShay's mock draft and go "oh, if Todd thinks this of that player, I better move him on my big board."

Concerning Cook, he was argued to be the best receiving back in this draft. We were not looking for a thumper or a guy that can carry the ball 30+ times a game. Josh needs a reliable outlet out of the backfield at the very least, something Moss and Singletary have proven they can not be. But more than that, just like we're seeing with the tight end room this year, the Bills are looking for guys that can also be split out. I think we're going to see more uptempo. Josh and Dorsey need guys that can catch the football and make plays downfield and in open space and they have to be able to do it from various positions on the field. Howard and Knox are good blockers but have the athleticism to stand up and create mismatches with linebackers and safeties. Cook is great on the outside and has the speed to turn the corner or hit holes in zone runs but he's also an excellent receiver and has the speed to turn quick crosses and wheel routes in to big plays.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I literally have never seen him get caught from behind in a straight line by a defender there are defenders that take Angles from the side to intercept him at a certain point from trying to score a touchdown he is plenty fast

He's got nice initial burst, but I have seen him caught from behind by multiple college players who had no angle on him.

Great quicks but I do not think he has NFL long speed.

• Haha (+1) 1

I am liking this pick more and more

Who are the A Holes talking about his demeanor and what do you care

He's here to play football and stay outa trouble

I dont think/care if we took him early. Excited to see him make plays.

• Like (+1) 2

People read waaay too much into facial expressions. I know people who never smile in front of a camera. They are not unhappy, it’s just they are introverts and that’s their style. Other people will give you a fake smile all day long, that means nothing.

• Like (+1) 5

Scout quotes per long-time Packers and NFL beat writer, Bob McGinn:

AFC scout: “He gets a lot of play because he’s Dalvin’s brother but he’s nowhere near Dalvin Cook. He’s got a little bit of juice but he’s not real big. He can catch out of the backfield. I can see somebody taking him as a third-down back. He’s under Rachaad White for me.”

NFC scout: ”I think his most carries in a game was 10. Dalvin’s brother. Competitive little guy, which you would expect. He maximizes what he has. He might hang around as a backup and special teamer. Third back. Not much talent. People are trying to make something out of him but I’m confused by that.”

AFC scout: “He would be the best receiving threat (of the running backs).”

NFC scout: “He has the versatility to do a lot of different things. He may not be a true No. 1 running back but as a 1B he can do things in the passing game. He’d be a good, solid rotation guy that will make some plays for you.”

AFC scout: “Late third round. He didn’t start behind Zamir White. Played on passing downs. Excellent receiver. Has quickness in his routes. Makes big plays. Productive as a complementary back but never as a starter.”

NFC scout: “Underutilized. Not as talented as his brother but talented enough to get drafted in the late third or fourth round. He’s a backup only. He catches the ***** out of the ball but he can’t run the ball.”

AFC scout: “Smooth, one-cut slasher with linear burst. Like his production as a receiver but didn’t see dynamic or creative run skills, instincts or elusiveness. Most production was straight line and clear path. Not real big or violent. Unselfish teammate, stays humble, loves ball.”

AFC scout: “They split him out as a receiver. Average size but he’s athletic and explosive with acceleration and good speed. He can exploit a crease on inside runs. Can jump cut with quick feet and balance. He’s got the speed to get outside. He’s sudden in space. Has natural hands. Ripped off an 82-yard run against Alabama in 2020. He ran by guys that had pursuit angles on him. His issue is pass protection. He’s not real big. He’s done kick returning. Third-round area.”

AFC scout: “He’s a down the line guy.”

Edited by junior

5 minutes ago, junior said:

Scout quotes per long-time Packers and NFL beat writer, Bob McGinn:

AFC scout: “He gets a lot of play because he’s Dalvin’s brother but he’s nowhere near Dalvin Cook. He’s got a little bit of juice but he’s not real big. He can catch out of the backfield. I can see somebody taking him as a third-down back. He’s under Rachaad White for me.”

NFC scout: ”I think his most carries in a game was 10. Dalvin’s brother. Competitive little guy, which you would expect. He maximizes what he has. He might hang around as a backup and special teamer. Third back. Not much talent. People are trying to make something out of him but I’m confused by that.”

AFC scout: “He would be the best receiving threat (of the running backs).”

NFC scout: “He has the versatility to do a lot of different things. He may not be a true No. 1 running back but as a 1B he can do things in the passing game. He’d be a good, solid rotation guy that will make some plays for you.”

AFC scout: “Late third round. He didn’t start behind Zamir White. Played on passing downs. Excellent receiver. Has quickness in his routes. Makes big plays. Productive as a complementary back but never as a starter.”

NFC scout: “Underutilized. Not as talented as his brother but talented enough to get drafted in the late third or fourth round. He’s a backup only. He catches the ***** out of the ball but he can’t run the ball.”

AFC scout: “Smooth, one-cut slasher with linear burst. Like his production as a receiver but didn’t see dynamic or creative run skills, instincts or elusiveness. Most production was straight line and clear path. Not real big or violent. Unselfish teammate, stays humble, loves ball.”

AFC scout: “They split him out as a receiver. Average size but he’s athletic and explosive with acceleration and good speed. He can exploit a crease on inside runs. Can jump cut with quick feet and balance. He’s got the speed to get outside. He’s sudden in space. Has natural hands. Ripped off an 82-yard run against Alabama in 2020. He ran by guys that had pursuit angles on him. His issue is pass protection. He’s not real big. He’s done kick returning. Third-round area.”

AFC scout: “He’s a down the line guy.”

Not the best of reads, to be fair.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

He's got nice initial burst, but I have seen him caught from behind by multiple college players who had no angle on him.

Great quicks but I do not think he has NFL long speed.

Can you provide any games specifically and/or players who caught him from behind? Not saying your lying but would like to see the context. 

• Agree 1

The Bills have been rumored to have interest in Giovani Bernard at various times. My hope is we just got Giovani 2.0.

Every draft we see these inflated expectations surrounding 2nd/3rd rounders. It's wonderful when you hit the lottery and get a multi-year Pro Bowler. In reality, you want a good player who makes a solid contribution for the duration of team control over his salary.

Bernard's first 3 years: about 12-14 touches (rushing/receiving) per game, about 5-6 yards/touch, 9 TDs his rookie year, then 8 the next (then just 2) - exactly the kind of change of pace complement to Singletary that we've been missing. Will he be his brother? Probably not. That's why he went 63rd overall.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm not sure what the "low hanging fruit" comment means, but if they get several starters, who cares where it was hanging?

By LHF I mean they used their picks on very easy positions to fill and all non-premium positions as I defined them........zone CB, RB, WLB, slot WR, punter.

They got tunnel vision on a CB because Levi Wallace was wearing the wrong color undies when he made his decision where to sign his sub $5M aav deal..........and they took a RB in round 2 because the guy they thought they had signed for $3.5M aav backed out on them.

I assign $ value to picks........a first should be a guy who you would have to pay $20M+ aav to if they were at their ceiling and a free agent today.

A second would have to be in that $12M-$16M range for me.........which is prime real estate for a top end zone-system CB prospect.

Cook would have made sense value-wise in the late 3rd.

That's just how I judge drafts..........value and overall talent acquired.

Not the same as some grade it..........a lot of the grades you will see will be just based on how they addressed immediate needs..........which is then contradicted by the assumption that you won't know if the players were good until they get 3 years in your system.:lol: 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

DRAFT DAY: "Holy crap we just got our new Alvin Kamara!"

NOW THAT WE ARE SOBER: "Nice, we got a Geo Bernard"

Which is still great news! With our offense that's all we really need. Also, be real people - he is pick 63 for a reason!

I am pumped about the pick and can't wait to watch him and our offense develop.

GO BILLS

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.