Rd 2, Pick 63 (31): RB James Cook, Georgia

Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, Logic said:

As for the second bolded part: This is the key, right here. A great fit for the Bills offense, and will become Josh's favorite outlet when the play breaks down.

As for the first bolded part, the vertical route from the wing against 'Bama:

My pants just got a little tighter.

Yeah Cook tracks the ball on long throws very well for a RB.

People who look at short screen passes to RB's and think that makes a back like an extra receiver on the field really don't get it.

Really good receivers track and catch long throws just as easily as the short ones.   The more they have to slow their feet or leave them altogether just to catch the ball........like, for example, clumsy former Bills WR Andre Holmes.......the less special they are.

CJ Spiller is a good example of a guy who could catch a screen pass but 20 yards downfield he was terrible.........just as likely to take that pass off of his facemark as he was to bobble it in for a catch.

• Like (+1) 5

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah that’s one of the better comparisons. Ekeler is definitely more compact and has more muscle mass.  

His route running and running style in the open field reminds me of Kamara, but he is not nearly as physical.  Cook is more of WR in the open field than he is a Rb.  Very little tackle breaking and not much make you miss.   Burst and run away from you type stuff.  

I hope that he’s willing to put in the work in the weight room so he has a better chance of staying healthy and is more effective running the ball and in pass protection. 

Get him on the Singletary Swole Offseason workout program.

Every site had Cook's weight different. I saw as low as 190 and as high as 199. 1 or 2 seasons in an NFL training/ eating program and I think he can settle in around 200 without losing much speed. I think Singletary added darned near 10 pounds last off season and didn't look slower.

Cook has 4.42 speed. He is fast. He has great hands.

Ekeler is about 1 inch shorter and 5-10 pounds heavier.

If Cook is in it is probably a pass, but can run to mix things up.

For the older heads I see Eric Metcalf.

Metcalf was 5'10 188 4.46 40

Metcalf was a RB/WR hybrid who was an x factor for every team he played on.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah Cook tracks the ball on long throws very well for a RB.

People who look at short screen passes to RB's and think that makes a back like an extra receiver on the field really don't get it.

Really good receivers track and catch long throws just as easily as the short ones.   The more they have to slow their feet or leave them altogether just to catch the ball........like, for example, clumsy former Bills WR Andre Holmes.......the less special they are.

CJ Spiller is a good example of a guy who could catch a screen pass but 20 yards downfield he was terrible.........just as likely to take that pass off of his facemark as he was to bobble it in for a catch.

He's Ekeler or Metcalf to me. That is a useable chess piece on offense with a QB like JA.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Get him on the Singletary Swole Offseason workout program.

Every site had Cook's weight different. I saw as low as 190 and as high as 199. 1 or 2 seasons in an NFL training/ eating program and I think he can settle in around 200 without losing much speed. I think Singletary added darned near 10 pounds last off season and didn't look slower.

Cook has 4.42 speed. He is fast. He has great hands.

Ekeler is about 1 inch shorter and 5-10 pounds heavier.

If Cook is in it is probably a pass, but can run to mix things up.

For the older heads I see Eric Metcalf.

Metcalf was 5'10 188 4.46 40

Metcalf was a RB/WR hybrid who was an x factor for every team he played on.

Singletary would be a lot more popular with Bills fans if he just posted a fake video of him running a 4.4 40 yard dash.........nobody will know that it was only 37 yards........perception is reality apparently because the fact that he has averaged an excellent 4.7 ypr in his career clearly doesn't register.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Coupled with McKenzie these things actually apply to spread formations as well. They can legitimately run “five wide” and have two running options (three of you count Allen). They might even be able to spread out 11 or 12 personnel to create matchup nightmares which could be deadly in a no huddle. It’s gonna be fun to see what they do with some of these personnel groups this season. There’s certainly more schematic flexibility with the additions they’ve made thus far. 

I wouldn't want to be a DC preparing for Buffalo this year.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

I'll give you route-running, but what the heck is blazing acceleration?

Do we notice "blazing acceleration" in a RB that has 4.8 speed?

And then how do you define "suddenness"? (And please be honest)

When I hear 'suddenness', I'm thinking quick change of direction; I don't see that in Cook any more than I do blazing acceleration.

This is the only Beane pick since he's started making our picks that I absolutely do not like off top.

Well.  You are wrong.  He will end up getting 50 percent of snaps by end of year.  His acceleration is like Kamara...smooth but you don't catch him

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Well.  You are wrong.  He will end up getting 50 percent of snaps by end of year.  His acceleration is like Kamara...smooth but you don't catch him

You are making things up. He gets caught from behind plenty in the highlights I've watched on him.

It's rare that he even gets the opportunity to turn a carry into a foot race because he's taken to the turf so often on first contact.

He'll be a nice receiving target out of the backfield, but there's no reason to begin imagining qualities that didn't show up regularly. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

You are making things up. He gets caught from behind plenty in the highlights I've watched on him.

It's rare that he even gets the opportunity to turn a carry into a foot race because he's taken to the turf so often on first contact.

He'll be a nice receiving target out of the backfield, but there's no reason to begin imagining qualities that didn't show up regularly. 

35 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Well, I know which one of you I HOPE is right!  😋

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

image.thumb.jpeg.2c8dc94732f1779d4bc50e422b0a8f27.jpegYeah looks like 28 bmi to me 

BMI is a great chart for growing pre- pubescent children, and less useless than the wonderlic for pro athletes. people complain about things they dont understand in the least. theres not a single scout in the league that cares about BMI. Arnold during his Mr Olympia run was "obese" on BMI scale

Edited by BillsShredder83

9 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

I'll give you route-running, but what the heck is blazing acceleration?

Do we notice "blazing acceleration" in a RB that has 4.8 speed?

And then how do you define "suddenness"? (And please be honest)

When I hear 'suddenness', I'm thinking quick change of direction; I don't see that in Cook any more than I do blazing acceleration.

This is the only Beane pick since he's started making our picks that I absolutely do not like off top.

You don’t have to give me anything.

It’s true. That’s why he was a 2nd rd pick….

if you don’t know what suddenness is at this point in your life, I can’t help you.  

I’ve watched a ton of his tape. We obviously see different things when we watch RBs.  Looks like Beane and co sees what I see. As the 3rd rb off the board.  

He’s mismatch vs most LBs and will be used as such.  His route running is advanced for a RB.  I’d call him a RB/WR 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

I liked Rachaad White outside of the 3rd rd.

I don't like RB picks early either.

I think they basically got a 2nd rounder in the 1st round,  and a 3rd rounder in the 2nd round.........and a 5th-6th rounder in the 3rd.

And in the process gave away a 4th round pick in a year where there was 2nd round talent available in round 4.

Basically they did what I dislike the team to do in the draft..........they just tried to make a small profit addressing needs at lesser positions of value in their systems......... instead of having a higher standard.

If you draft like that consistently it eventually takes a toll on your roster.........it was a problem with the 90's Bills........they were often already drafting special teamers in mid rounds instead of gambling on upside and because of that eventually the Parcells Patriots and Johnson Dolphins caught up and passed them, roster wise.

I would have passed on Cook too........but Cook is a potentially valuable player...........I can like him and not like the value where he was picked.

This is the way the draft goes sometimes from a fan perspective.

In all of the other McBeane drafts they did better for value.

Really the Cody Ford trade was his only real glaring L prior to losing some battles this weekend, IMO.

But in picking up some low hanging fruit.........a zone CB,  a RB,  a WLB,  a slot receiver and a punter..........they may actually end up with a pretty decent amount of starters at least.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He adds what the offense has lacked.  Some who can take it to the house.  Use him like Kamara.  Teams want to sit in 2 high, good luck.  I predict he is the starter by thanksgiving.  Very young, 21?  Easily, could add a few pds.  Size, ie weight is becoming less a requirement to play in the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 2

Cook, McKenzie and Shakir are really adding some "position-less" types to the offense.  It's going to be interesting to see the offense this season, because they definitely have the ability to line up and be really creative.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.