Rd 2, Pick 63 (31): RB James Cook, Georgia

Hapless Bills Fan

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s not supposed to be Devin. Two different types of RBs

This^^^

Cook is a, as said above, a hybrid RB/WR, with go to the house speed that no current on roster RB has, and he can do it from the hand off and the YAC, it’s not so hard to understand how he will be used.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is a bit of a "needy" fill to this draft so far. ;)

Like maybe if Levi Wallace had been wearing different underwear and JD McKissic hadn't reneged they might have drafted 2 players at entirely different positions. :lol:

If $7M worth of free agents changed your round 1 and 2 draft process......that's not a great sign.

I like both players though.    Cooks is the best RB in the pass game in this draft IMO.   

Dont mind the players but question the value and strategy.  Beane basically admitted they drafted Cook for the role McKissic was going to have.  I mean, his approach to the second round is incredibly frustrating.  And he’s now drafted three running backs in for years with premium picks.  Insane.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Note also that the guy he burned on that play was Christian Harris,  who went about a dozen picks after Cook.  Cook just ran right by him and actually had to slow up and wait on the ball. 

I'd also add that this play isn't a fluke,  either.  He had one just like it against Michigan in the Orange Bowl. 

That’s the idea in my mind. Split him out. If there is a linebacker on him, let him do his thing. If they use a DB, there is a mismatch elsewhere. If the team goes small in a dime package, shift Cook into the backfield and run the football. It’s essentially what the patriots have done with James White for a million years, except Cook is bigger, faster, stronger. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Dont mind the players but question the value and strategy.  Beane basically admitted they drafted Cook for the role McKissic was going to have.  I mean, his approach to the second round is incredibly frustrating.  And he’s now drafted three running backs in for years with premium picks.  Insane.

Ok then, who would you have taken with the first two pick?

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That’s the idea in my mind. Split him out. If there is a linebacker on him, let him do his thing. If they use a DB, there is a mismatch elsewhere. If the team goes small in a dime package, shift Cook into the backfield and run the football. It’s essentially what the patriots have done with James White for a million years, except Cook is bigger, faster, stronger. 

That's exactly how I think the Bills will use him. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Not trying to being a downer, but doesn't he go down rather easily for a RB drafted this high? 

After speed and pass-catching, he doesn't have anything on Devin Singletary.

Did you want Hall? 

23 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Note also that the guy he burned on that play was Christian Harris,  who went about a dozen picks after Cook.  Cook just ran right by him and actually had to slow up and wait on the ball. 

I'd also add that this play isn't a fluke,  either.  He had one just like it against Michigan in the Orange Bowl. 

And he had a QB whose strength isn’t throwing the ball. To think what he can do with Josh is fun. I bet we see some 2 back sets where Cook can motion out to a wideout/slot for a passing play or stay in and run it. 

18 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Cook is a, as said above, a hybrid RB/WR, with go to the house speed that no current on roster RB has, and he can do it from the hand off and the YAC, it’s not so hard to understand how he will be used.

I've seen him run down from behind by more than one college player; that typically does not denote long speed in the NFL.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Something tells me you don't know the limitations of the BMI index.  What's his body fat percentage?  For example, Isaiah McKenzie has a 26.3 BMI and is considered overweight.  His brother Dalvin's BMI is 30.1 and he's considered obese by that metric. 

You are correct.  I was listening to a couple scouting reports and both mentioned this as a problem, but neither went into detail about it.  It was late and I didn’t look into it any further.  Til now.

Looks like their problem with it is that he’s too skinny and will break. 

Apologies.  Now get back to your regularly scheduled programming. 

Edited by NewEra

Looking at the highlights he looks a lot like Najee Harris and Alvin Kamara.

For me he looks like Thurman Thomas with that cutback ability. 

Also look at the positive review made by Rich Eisen when Cook's name is called 

Edited by ganesh
  • Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Not trying to being a downer, but doesn't he go down rather easily for a RB drafted this high? 

After speed and pass-catching, he doesn't have anything on Devin Singletary.

If he had more power to his game, he’d have been RB1 in this draft.   

He’s the most skilled pass catching RB, by far, in this draft.  UGA had him run routes from the backfield, the slot, and even flexed outside.  

He’s not going to be a guy that we hand the ball off to a ton.  Here and there to keep teams honest, but he’s going to be a guy that we use to carve up 2 deep safety looks. 

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Did you want Hall? 

I did not; I didn't see any RB in this draft as having a 1st rd grade. 

I was hopeful that the RB position would be addressed in next year's draft, where at least 2 RBs that I've given a 1st Rd. grade may enter. This pick bothers me because I don't think the FO would draft 2nd and then go 1st Rd. the following year with Singletary and/or Moss still on the roster. 

I don't like the Cook pick, but what can ya do? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BurpleBull said:

I was hopeful that the RB position would be addressed in next year's draft, where at least 2 RBs that I've given a 1st Rd. grade may enter. This pick bothers me because I don't think the FO would draft 2nd and then go 1st Rd. the following year with Singletary and/or Moss still on the roster. 

If you are looking at Cook as an every down work horse than I get your dislike for the pick. If you consider what this offense was lacking and what he provides than it is easier to understand the pick. He lines up as a RB and can run the ball very well, he can also catch the ball better than ANY prospect listed as a RB coming out. 

• Like (+1) 5

23 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

For a front office highlighted here and elsewhere as being one of or the best in the the league they're strategically underwhelming this draft.  

Going CB, RB, and LB with their top picks makes me wonder if they're focused on not entering the arms race going on across the NFL.  With other teams loading up at WR, McBeane want more secondary help.  And, rather than go after those WR's early, they'll draft backs who can catch the ball.  And of course, continue with more high picks for the front 7 as I'm sure McD wants.

My issue with McBeane is they default to defense in an offensive era where more often than not the better passing offense wins in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

Defense and offense…. Typical 

Right?

Football players... Typical

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You are correct.  I was listening to a couple scouting reports and both mentioned this as a problem, but neither went into detail about it.  It was late and I didn’t look into it any further.  Til now.

Looks like their problem with it is that he’s too skinny and will break. 

Apologies.  Now get back to your regularly scheduled programming. 

Yeah BMI is something that was used in the 1960s when I was a kid. It's simplistic to the point of irrelevance.

Not only does it not take into account muscle versus fat, but it also ignores bone diameter and density as well as lung capacity.

23 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Get used to us taking a mid round RB most years under Beane as Singletary may just wrapping his head around unless a modest contract extension, they’ll move from him.  It’s the new NFL.  More teams unless they have a very special RB, just keep drafting them and use up over four years.  I’ve just accepted we’ll use of our 2-4th round picks anRB almost every year.  It’s a waste of $ to pay big $ for a RB when they get hurt more frequently than most other positions.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If you are looking at Cook as an every down work horse than I get your dislike for the pick. If you consider what this offense was lacking and what he provides than it is easier to understand the pick. He lines up as a RB and can run the ball very well, he can also catch the ball better than ANY prospect listed as a RB coming out. 

I don't agree that he runs the ball very well, that's why I don't think he should've been drafted in the 2nd.

He didn't need to be an every down work-horse, I just needed to see other qualities traditionally associated with really good RBs.

I literally don't see anything outside of speed and pass-catching, and it isn't even blazing speed. 

38 minutes ago, Simon said:

I've seen him run down from behind by more than one college player; that typically does not denote long speed in the NFL.

I’ve seen that as well, but he has gone to the house with some regularity 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.