NFL Draft 2022 Second & Third Round Discussion Thread

UKBillFan

36 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think they found something later in the year when they did implement a bit more runs into their offense, but “balanced” as in 50/50 or even 60/40 pass run and no thanks…. I want the ball in Allen’s hands for at least 70% of the offensive snaps…. Their force of the run game was the reason for their 3rd quarter/early 4th quarter lull against the Chiefs in the divisional game. 

Totally agree with the bolded observation. It was BLINDINGLY OBVIOUS that Josh Allen was in the ***** zone and should have been leaned on to bring it home sooner. Once they just unleashed him the Bills became unstoppable. But it was too late.

However, that is not exactly a smart, sustainable model to pursue intentionally. It's HUGE to have that gear, but can Josh Allen hold up under the strain of being our EVERYTHING for 17 regular season games, plus 3-4 playoff games, year in and year out? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

***** gross…. I truly believe they want to run the ball more and are ok with lack of depth at WR.

Yeah, that must be it.

That's why they invested in a physical freak talent pass catching TE2, and then they had the audacity to draft a pass threat RB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree IOL and TE are wherr there is still se functional depth on the board.

Phillips and Melton are both slot only though. The Bills need is more a developmental outside guy as at the moment behind Diggs and Gabe they only have Jake Kumerow and Isaiah Hodgins neither of which are good options. 

I don't know how early Doubs and Ross will go tomorrow but I would be trying to find a way to land one of them. It is arguably the biggest hole on the roster right now. 

I will be very surprised if Ross goes in 4 . His injury history is too serious to invest in . 

7 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Love Beane and while he’s had solid success in the first round, he’s struggled in rounds 2 and 3. Knox is the exception thus far. But yet strong again in the later rounds. Odd

you also have to give Spencer Brown some love as a 3rd round pick plus Harrison Phillips..

8 hours ago, LEBills said:

Calvin Austin, Bo Melton, Khalil Shakir and Romeo Doubs are the only four WRs I have left as draftable. I hope they can get one…

How do you feel about Justyn Ross and Kevin Austin?

Given we don’t “need” Ross to be on the field a ton, I’d certainly be willing to take a flyer on him. 

Kevin Austin gives me some Gabriel Davis vibes. 

Edited by SCBills

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Given we don’t “need” Ross to be on the field a ton, I’d certainly be willing to take a flyer on him. 

I don’t like Austin much. Pretty stiff when he is running, not as athletic as his testing and often hurt. 

Ross is intriguing. He has some very good tape but it has been overshadowed by injuries. If he can somehow overcome his injuries, he may be a steal. But I think he tested poorly because he is still trying to get past those injuries.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Didn't you have a 4th on Isaiah Weston?

They brought Charleston Rambo in........which I took as a harbinger for not giving a sh*t about their fastball. :lol:

Nah a 6th. But I think you are at the point with WRs where you need to be willing to take them at least half a round before you have them valued. If they took him with their 5th I'd be fine with that.

8 hours ago, Airseven said:

Chiefs and Jets are A++. Immediate impact players. Getting tired of the Bills tendency for developmental players with upside.

Cool-the Jets have been getting “A++” draft grades for a couple of years in a row now, how had that worked out for them? 
they took a good player 4th overall-amazing!

they took another one 10th overall-how did they do that?

they took a running back people have heard of-Super Bowl contenders!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Love Beane and while he’s had solid success in the first round, he’s struggled in rounds 2 and 3. Knox is the exception thus far. But yet strong again in the later rounds. Odd

I don't think this is quite right. 

Early days yet, but Spencer Brown shows promise.  Devin Singletary had a strong 2019 and a strong end of last season - I don't think flaws there are with him, I think it's blocking and how he was used.  Harrison Phillips is a solid player at a position which, for the Bills, requires grinders who don't get good stats, and got a solid 2nd contract from a different team.  Knox looks great as of his 3rd season (last year) but did not look like a good pick his rookie year and 2020.  So it's possible that Epenesa and Basham may yet show something.

So that would say out of 8 picks, Beane got 1 looks-like-star (Knox), 3 solid players (Singletary, Brown, Phillips), 2 disappointments (Ford, Moss) and 2 guys who are disappointing so far, but may still turn out good (Epenesa, Basham - see above where Knox didn't look so good his first 2 seasons)

I believe overall the success rate in the 2nd and 3rd round is 30% - that's not 30% "stars" that's just 30% guys who can legit play in the NFL.

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

More around why they need a back up for him?

Because Milano gets hurt and we moved on from Klein

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

you have 4 left in the entire draft, and round 4 hasn’t started? 

I disagree obviously. I think they view Cook as their WR prospect to be honest. Unless we get a guy in a round 4 trade up at this point I still say your better off developing Stevenson and Hodgins 

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah a 6th. But I think you are at the point with WRs where you need to be willing to take them at least half a round before you have them valued. If they took him with their 5th I'd be fine with that.

OK it was someone else who was posting a lot of draft info.   He tested really well but couldn't stay healthy so I've occasionally book ended him with a first round WR in  my daily mock draft.    This Bills draft feels so needy and cheap.  Beane looked like he needed a shower last night.  :devil:

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I disagree obviously. I think they view Cook as their WR prospect to be honest. Unless we get a guy in a round 4 trade up at this point I still say your better off developing Stevenson and Hodgins 

Cook was a great pick! Those four I listed I all feel are better than Stevenson and Hodgins

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So that would say out of 8 picks, Beane got 1 looks-like-star (Knox), 3 solid players (Singletary, Brown, Phillips), 2 disappointments (Ford, Moss) and 2 guys who are disappointing so far, but may still turn out good (Epenesa, Basham - see above where Knox didn't look so good his first 2 seasons)

I believe overall the success rate in the 2nd and 3rd round is 30% - that's not 30% "stars" that's just 30% guys who can legit play in the NFL.

Imo, 2nd and 3rd rounders should be contributing by Year 2 and establishing themselves as starters. It took longer than that for Knox to develop, Epenesa is just too invisible and Moss plummeted last year. I understand your point about expectations regarding hit rate but I hope it doesnt take Cook or Bernard a full 2 seasons to be positively impactful. The good thing is that the RB position is easier to show impact in a rookie year and there is no pressure for Cook to be the lead back.

I have been thinking this is the year Beane will move players for picks but there has been no movement so far. Epenesa and Moss should be trade bait to get at least a 4th rounder, though Moss by himself will have to be accompanied by a draft pick. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Kevin Austin missed all of 2019 for a suspension of undisclosed reasons. He looks really good and tested well but if there’s any character concerns then he’s probably off the Bills board. 

Not sure we come away with a WR anymore. A TE, OL, P, and more DBs is my best guess. There are also a few interesting DL around at this juncture. 

Top 30 visitors left:

Brandon Smith LB (not sure they double up but he would be Tremaine backup)

Spencer Burford OL

Isaiah Spiller RB

Isaiah Likely TE

Jalen Wydermyer TE

James Mitchell TE

From the lists that we put together here, they also met with:

Charlie Kolar TE

Cade Otton TE

Charleston Rambo WR

Isaiah Thomas DE

Cole Turner TE

Perrion Winfrey DT

Josh Thompson DB

Matt Ariaza P

There are probably more i missed, but TE seems likely at some point. 

10 hours ago, Nitro said:

Harrison Phillips, Dawson Knox, Devin Singletary, Cody Ford, AJ Epenesa, Zack Moss, Boogie Basham and Spencer Brown are the 2nd and 3rd round picks by Beane.   Four starters and four rotational players.  Solid track record IMO.

But they should have 2 All-Pros, 3 Pro Bowlers, and only 3 rotational players based on the track record of all the other GMs. In addition in my official mock 3.0 we landed Jameson Williams, Evan Neal, and traded for Derrick Henry with the Titans covering all but $15.00 of his contract. In fairness I had to trade away our 4th pick, Kumerow, the 8th linebacker whose name I can’t recall but has tremendous value, an autographed picture of Josh Allen in shorts, and some salty snacks… but it is clear I am a better GM than Beane based on my haul

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.