Beane's Press Conference

FlaFitz1

In his press conference Beane said a lot of things you'd expect him to say and didn't say anything at all with his answers to some questions.

One thing he said that struck me was they had 21 players with 1st round grades and then added Elam was the last player they had on their board in that group.

Well the Bills traded up to 23 to take him so that would mean 2 players (and Breece Hall) taken before him weren't given a 1st round grade by the Bills.

Who do you think they were?  My guesses at Pickett and Quay Walker

Edited by FlaFitz1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FlaFitz1 said:

In his press conference Beane said a lot of things you'd expect him to say and didn't say anything at all with his answers to some questions.

One thing he said that struck me was they had 21 players with 1st round grades and then added Elam was the last player they had on their board in that group.

Well the Bills traded up to 23 to take him so that would mean 2 players (and Breece Hall) taken before him weren't given a 1st round grade by the Bills.

When did he say he had 21 firsts? I must have missed that. 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

When did he say he had 21 firsts? I must have missed that. 

I may have misunderstood the number but still he did say Elam was the last player on their board with a 1st round grade.   I would guess those two weren't give a 2st round grade.  Maybe their were others.

10 minutes ago, FlaFitz1 said:

I did not hear the 21 part - I heard they did not have 25, but I have not heard a firm number.

I would agree I don’t think Walker or Pickett had 1sts.

I am not sure that 15, 16, 17, or 18 all had first round grades either.  I think maybe 1 of the guards and 1 of the WRs might - not sure that all 4 did.

The talk was 16-20 first round grades for most “experts” and those varied a bit based upon needs/desires.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yeah that was pretty good news.

The Bills aren’t known to rush guys back - so it’s very good news. Everything I’ve seen is that he’s crushed his rehab. And the good thing is he knows this scheme like the back of his hand by now so missing TC and preseason reps won’t be much of an issue. 

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, FlaFitz1 said:

I may have misunderstood the number but still he did say Elam was the last player on their board with a 1st round grade.   I would guess those two weren't give a 2st round grade.  Maybe their were others.

Yea I don't think he committed to 21. There were more than two non 1st round grades ahead of them.

8 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I'm fine with the trade up. That means he got his guy. If this was the last one they liked then they had to do whatever to get him

But, but, but, our 4th Round pick?!?!?! :rolleyes: :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The only thing I keyed on was when he said he expects Tre White to be ready for the start of the season. 

You know it’s interesting. I was wondering about that exact same thing when I watched the Alabama WR head to the podium last night. That kid wasn’t wearing a brace, and based on the video segment he’s already working out. Amazing how quickly they heal these days. I’m old….it takes forever to get over a paper cut!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

I wouldn't have minded the 4th being used on the Punt Jesus dude but I trust Beane.  If he thought it needed to be done then fine, value wise it was an even trade depending on what chart you are looking at.    If Elam had a clear higher grade than everyone else in the draft at that point then it is probably worth the 4th rounder.  There must have been someone else willing to trade in there is my guess.  

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

But, but, but, our 4th Round pick?!?!?! :rolleyes: :lol:

Last two 4th round picks:

Gabe Davis..........200 yards receiving 4 TD's in divisional playoff

Taron Johnson.......101 yard interception return in divisional playoffs.

Almost every 4th rounder they've actually drafted in the last decade or so has become a good starter for the team.

It's not a throwaway pick and the strength of this draft is considered it's middle rounds.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Teams don't grade players the same. Some teams take guys off their draft board completely for whatever reason. For instance, I bet Beane didn't have the top QB's on their board at all because they knew they weren't taking one. Maybe they took some guys off their board because of medical concerns too, or dropped them down their board. Some players are better scheme fits for certain teams as well.

So, even if you are picking at 25 and only have 21 1st round grades, there is still a decent chance that one of those will get to you. For the Bills, if Elam was the last guy with a 1st round grade, that is a good reason for them to trade up a couple of spots to get him, especially if they had concerns that other teams might trade up ahead of them to take him.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, FlaFitz1 said:

I’m going with Cole Strange OLineman that Patsies took. No way he had a first round grade on him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FlaFitz1 said:

I'm actually shocked to hear that there was that close to a consensus among NFL teams on who the top 23 players in the draft were.

6 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I'm actually shocked to hear that there was that close to a consensus among NFL teams on who the top 23 players in the draft were.

Yes.  That means in the top 22 picks, 20 of Beane's picks came off the board.  That's almost universal agreement, although we don't know how many guys other teams still had on their boards.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.