Bills recent fourth round picks.

Buffalo Boy

1 minute ago, Airseven said:

The Blils have plenty of depth needs and rounds 3-5 are ideal spots to fill them. Depth at IOL is non-existent and obviously RB seems to be a target for them. Depth at Edge is still unproven and the Poyer contract situation looms. They still haven't replaced Klein. 

Losing that 4th hurts. ESPECIALLY if they want to go Punter in R5.

I will eat my hat if they take a punter in the 5th round 

This team had 3 games (including a playoff game) they didn't punt once and two more games where they only punted once 

Across 8 games (out of 19) They punted a grand total of 8 times 

Washington - 2

Texans - 1

Titans - 2

Jets - 2

Colts - 1

Falcons - 0

Pats* (x2) - 0

Haack isnt great, but he is basically a holder who punts occasionally

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

In Beane we trust. The trade up and loss of pick is puzzling but I think we got right pick. Only time will tell

bummer about losing forth is if that SDSU punter was still there, I was thinking 4 would be spot to take him. I imagine we could still figure out a way to get there though if we really want him and besides we’re not gonna punt this year anyways. :)    Lets Go Buffalo. 

40 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

So, all freakouts are wrong! Gotcha, this totally makes se ... oh, no, it doesn't.

First, if this is a freakout, I'd hate to see what you'd call a molehill.

Second, people hated it when we brought in Kelvin Benjamin too. Or when we drafted Cody Ford. Sometimes it makes sense.

And if you feel people need to move on after eight hours of mild complaints, I'd suggest you take another look at your filter in terms of what people need to do.

I don't greatly mind the move. And Beane is a sensational GM. But yeah, losing the pick hurts. People should stop kidding themselves it's nothing. It's not. It's something. we might easily have lost Elam if we hadn't made the trade. Or not. We'll never know. Coming down on one side of that argument, either side, makes sense.

Or maybe, some people believe they can never have nice things?

There is a fairly large subset of posters on here who would get the first hummer from their wife in years only to complain that dinner wasn’t also ready immediately afterwards 🤨

We needed a CB. We wanted other things but we NEEDED a CB. Beane saw the way his board was falling and made a decision. “ They didn’t need to trade up” etc etc ….. every other post.

piss, moan, whine….. The sky is falling!!!

It looks like we got a great pick. Take a freaking breath and be happy. Trust Beane. We can get the fourth back if we need to. 
     There are teams ahead of us who picked bums who are going to flame out miserably, in the first round! A fourth isn’t the end of the world.

8 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I believe Cockrell was a give-up by Rex.  He showed a bit of promise, but was not a Rex guy and was shoved out the door.

He had some good years in Pittsburgh and got a SB title in Tampa I believe.  His wife is also an Olympian that competed recently if I remember correct.

He ended up being a fine pick - just never in Buffalo.

His sister Anna Cockrell was in Olympics and in Tokyo was disqualified for stepping on lane line. Olympics were held in 2021 due to COVID.

Anna Cockrell is an American track and field athlete competing in sprinting and hurdling. She is a two-time medalist at the 2019 Pan American Games in Lima, Peru and she represented the United States at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo,

He and his sister look a lot alike.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2021/08/02/sister-of-bucs-defensive-back-ross-cockrell-reaches-olympic-finals/

Rex Ryan admits 'brilliant idea' to sneak Ross Cockrell through waivers backfired

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/08/bills-rex-ryan-ross-cockrell-steelers/

On Thursday, coach Rex Ryan said that he tried to sneak him through waivers so that Buffalo could sign him to their practice squad.

“This was my fault, you know I thought we could sneak him through [waivers], and it wasn’t the—I never had as good a feel for him because he had been injured for so much of the training camp, and I thought, ‘Well he’s injured, he hasn’t played much, let’s try to sneak him though,’ and that was a mistake,” Ryan explained. “It was a mistake by me. It wasn’t a mistake by anybody else. It wasn’t by Whales (Doug Whaley) or anyone else. It was a mistake that I made, and obviously Pittsburgh had a good feel for them and he’s played well for them.”

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, junior said:

This thread seems bonkers to me. 

Beane has made two 4th-round picks in his time with the Bills:

• Taron Johnson, who's one of the top nickel CBs in the league
  • Gabriel Davis, who's stepped up in a big way whenever his name's been called

He's absolutely CRUSHED both picks, so yes, given Beane's hit rate, it's disappointing we don't have a 4th. On the flip side, if there's a guy Beane really wants in the 4th, we can easily maneuver our way back in, I'm sure.

I heard a GM (Ron Wolf, if I remember correctly) once saying something to the effect that you want difference makers in the draft.  You can find jags anywhere.  To win championships you need a certain number of Pro Bowl type guys.

He went on to say that a draft is successful if you pick two Pro Bowlers - even if your 1st round pick is a bust.  If you can consistently get two really good players out of every draft, you'll build a good team.

He also said that the chances of getting a Pro Bowler in the 4th round isn't much different than the 7th round.  By that time, your chances are long.

Anyway, Taron Johnson and Gabe Davis are both good picks by Beane for that round.  But it's a small sample size.  Would it be realistic to think Beane will perpetually draft players of that value in the 4th round?  I don't think any GM is actually that good.  

So if you're saying we traded away the next Gabe to move up and get Elam, I would disagree.  The probability is that this 4th rounder would be a backup.  So we traded away a backup to get a starter at a position of need.  It was a good move.

10 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

In the last 10 years the Bills have taken 5 players in the fourth round. Often, we have traded this pick in the past.

Gabriel Davis looks like a stud

Taron Johnson has been useful

Cardale Jones???

Ross Cockrell has a career bouncing around the league….meh.

DUKE WILLIAMS STONE COLD HALL OF FAME LOCK…. According to the accolades he garners from some on here. 

Apparently, half the posters on here know MORE than Beane and our future has just been destroyed by him working his intel and trading this years 4th.

Me, I’m going to trust him and our scouting department. Crazy talk I’m sure.

I agree with you that trading a low 4th isn't very damaging, especially if it is a draft the team doesn't like. 

However, as much as I agree I absolutely hate the notion that front office and coaches are infallible, don't make poor moves, or make poor judgements -- that fans can't criticize actions or roster moves.  That's crap.

The best defense is pointing out this isn't a very good draft to begin with and pointing out what 4th round picks usually look like. We didn't even like other first rounders so would you rather have 1 thing you love or 1 that's okay and another so so?

Edited by ArtVandalay

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Wrong Duke Williams. This one was a bad safety who is easily forgotten. 

Taron has been better than useful. But yea, it's him and Gabe excellent picks, Cockrell a decent 4th rounder than then two busts.

Well, yeah except the OP neglected to mention the prior three 4th round picks.

Nigel Bradham.......starter who got a good second contract with Eagles

D'Norris Seary........starter who got a good second contract with Titans

Ron Brooks.........good player for the Bills who might have had a really long career but for a knee injury

4th round has produced.

Cardale was a lottery ticket on a QB.........but he was picked because Rex and Whaley stupidly traded up for Reggie Ragnuts and then just missed the QB that they claimed to have wanted.........Dak Prescott.

4th rounder is NOT a throwaway pick.

10 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

I have zero memory of Ross Cockrell.

Zero...like wtf did I jump into an alternate universe? 

"Mandela Effect"

Wouldn't expect people to. He was a 4th round pick that was cut after one season, the one year he played you were enamored with the play of Kyle Orton. Everyone was just a mere ant in the shadow of Kyle Orton.

Edited by ArtVandalay

3 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Wouldn't expect people to. He was a 4th round pick that was cut after one season, the one year he played you were enamored with the play of Kyle Orton. Everyone was just a mere ant in the shadow of Kyle Orton.

The individual CB talent standard was higher then because the system was more demanding physically.

Cockrell was definitely more talented than 4 year starter Levi Wallace and probably Dane Jackson as well.

26 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He is a cockroach like Wallace......just good enough that you cant get rid of him

Was signed by Bucs on 2 year contract for good price in 2021. 

97 games with 49 starts for 5 teams.  He is making a career out of NFL which some high level picks cannot.

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I heard a GM (Ron Wolf, if I remember correctly) once saying something to the effect that you want difference makers in the draft.  You can find jags anywhere.  To win championships you need a certain number of Pro Bowl type guys.

He went on to say that a draft is successful if you pick two Pro Bowlers - even if your 1st round pick is a bust.  If you can consistently get two really good players out of every draft, you'll build a good team.

He also said that the chances of getting a Pro Bowler in the 4th round isn't much different than the 7th round.  By that time, your chances are long.

Anyway, Taron Johnson and Gabe Davis are both good picks by Beane for that round.  But it's a small sample size.  Would it be realistic to think Beane will perpetually draft players of that value in the 4th round?  I don't think any GM is actually that good.  

So if you're saying we traded away the next Gabe to move up and get Elam, I would disagree.  The probability is that this 4th rounder would be a backup.  So we traded away a backup to get a starter at a position of need.  It was a good move.

Umm........Beane hasn't drafted ANY pro bowlers outside of round 1..........the truth is that Gabe Davis and Dawson Knox(a near 4th) are the two best post-round 1 players that Beane has selected.   Period.

But actually, getting 3-4 starters is the more generally accepted measure of a good draft.

And there is a huge difference in the likelihood of getting those kind of players in round 4 versus subsequent rounds.

By rounds 6 and 7 it's about half the chance of round 4.

But yes, absolutely,  most pro bowlers come from the first 3 rounds and it's a matchup league so you really want to do well there.

However,  a merely adequate player at a PREMIUM position like LT could be worth a lot more than say........a pro bowl RB.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well, yeah except the OP neglected to mention the prior three 4th round picks.

Nigel Bradham.......starter who got a good second contract with Eagles

D'Norris Seary........starter who got a good second contract with Titans

Ron Brooks.........good player for the Bills who might have had a really long career but for a knee injury

4th round has produced.

Cardale was a lottery ticket on a QB.........but he was picked because Rex and Whaley stupidly traded up for Reggie Ragnuts and then just missed the QB that they claimed to have wanted.........Dak Prescott.

4th rounder is NOT a throwaway pick.

I felt 10 years was more than enough and I caught flack for going that far🤷‍♂️
    The OP KNOWS Beane’s chances are better in the first than in the fourth. He also knows we got jumped by KC for a….DB and the whole league knew we needed a…DB😉

Just now, Buffalo Boy said:

I felt 10 years was more than enough and I caught flack for going that far🤷‍♂️
    The OP KNOWS Beane’s chances are better in the first than in the fourth. He also knows we got jumped by KC for a….DB and the whole league knew we needed a…DB😉

What do you think about Beane trading for 6th rounders?  B-) 

25 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Taron Johnson useful? He’s one of the top slot corners in the NFL smh 

Last season :

Tied for 19 th in solo tackles = good

Tied for 46 th in interceptions/1/Meh 

Tied for 44th in targets = ?

Tied for 68th in receptions allowed (36) 

Total of 3 picks in four years.

So, yeah, he was a good fourth rounder who has been useful in our system. The kind of meat and potatoes contributor a good team needs. That’s not shade , that’s objectively looking at our player

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What do you think about Beane trading for 6th rounders?  B-) 

That he can then use to move up later?

I trust him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I will eat my hat if they take a punter in the 5th round 

This team had 3 games (including a playoff game) they didn't punt once and two more games where they only punted once 

Across 8 games (out of 19) They punted a grand total of 8 times 

Washington - 2

Texans - 1

Titans - 2

Jets - 2

Colts - 1

Falcons - 0

Pats* (x2) - 0

Haack isnt great, but he is basically a holder who punts occasionally

THAT IS AN INSANE STATTTTTT!!!!! that said i wouldnt rule it out. when you have a roster this complete is the time to do it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.