Pats' fans melting down over 1st rd pick, Video of McVay laughing at the pick... Brutal!

Inigo Montoya

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Bill belichick's defensive game plan shut down the bills kgun in the Bills Giants SB ... It's literally in the HoF

he's been a defensive guru for 30 plus years and has won super bowls with great defensive performances 

His ability to adapt his scheme across multiple eras ... Running multiple fronts and confusing top quarterbacks for 30 years is a tremendous legacy  

And he just took the Patriots to the playoffs with a terrible rag arm quarterback...

He just can't stop Josh Allen : ) 

And yes he isn't the greatest GM.. but his defensive coaching abilities are unquestioned

***** Belicheat!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I wouldn’t laugh too much because of his projected draft slot.  
New England tends to churn out some really great offensive linemen. They may not always perform outside New England when they get their second contracts, but they still coach these guys up pretty good while they’re there. But it is fun to see their fan base melting down 

There are two ways to evaluate a draft.

The first is looking at value, judging where a player was picked...versus where (mock drafts and other GMs) expected him to go.

The second is how the player actually performs on the field, and whether he becomes a successful NFL pro.

At this point, we can't judge anything but value.  And by that standard, the Patriots easily had the biggest reach of the night.

Cole Strange was almost universally regarded as a 3rd Round Pick.  The earliest I saw him ranked was around the middle of the 2nd Round.

Even if he turns out to be a good player, many will question whether he would have been available much later in the draft.

Belichick's style as a GM hasn't changed over the years.  His draft board is nothing like everyone else.  He trades up.  He trades down.  He has specific scheme fits, and has no problem reaching against the perceived value around the rest of the league.  Most of his defensive players and offensive line picks play well for the Patriots, but struggle outside of his system.  He struggles to find difference-making talent at skill positions (particularly WR), which wasn't quite as noticeable when Tom Brady was the quarterback.

5 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

My point is, how are people really trying to discredit Belichick?  It's ridiculous.

I mean, do they not have legit points?  He is well below .500 without Brady as his QB.  Look at his draft history and free agent additions....it's been terrible.

He is a great defensive coach that had Brady cover up his other warts.  He's not a terrible head coach but is a terrible GM.  

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I mean, do they not have legit points?  He is well below .500 without Brady as his QB.  Look at his draft history and free agent additions....it's been terrible.

He is a great defensive coach that had Brady cover up his other warts.  He's not a terrible head coach but is a terrible GM.  

The below .500 is counting his days in Cleveland, of all places, where he had that team on the cusp of contending before they were sold. 

He just had his young and inexperienced team in the playoffs with rookie QB and lacking roster.  Hell, they were in the fight for the division till the very end.  

He simply acquires guys that he feels fit his system.  None of them really go on to be great outside of NE.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The below .500 is counting his days in Cleveland, of all places, where he had that team on the cusp of contending before they were sold. 

He just had his young and inexperienced team in the playoffs with rookie QB and lacking roster.  Hell, they were in the fight for the division till the very end.  

He simply acquires guys that he feels fit his system.  None of them really go on to be great outside of NE.

On the cusp of contending with Vinny Testaverde and Mike Tomzack as his QB’s?  These were his chosen QB’s after he cut Kosar.  They weren’t on the cusp of contending.  The Ravens team that won the Super Bowl was 6 seasons later.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

On the cusp of contending with Vinny Testaverde and Mike Tomzack as his QB’s?  These were his chosen QB’s after he cut Kosar.  They weren’t on the cusp of contending.  The Ravens team that won the Super Bowl was 6 seasons later.

They were 11-5 in 1994.  My money is on Bill, Saban and Ozzie Newsome figuring it out.  

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

They were 11-5 in 1994.  My money is on Bill, Saban and Ozzie Newsome figuring it out.  

Dick Jauron was 13-3 with the Bears in 2005 I believe.  They were also on the “cusp” then.

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

And then 5-11 the following season.

Sometimes to take one step forward, you need to take 6 steps back.

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Bill belichick's defensive game plan shut down the bills kgun in the Bills Giants SB ... It's literally in the HoF

he's been a defensive guru for 30 plus years and has won super bowls with great defensive performances 

His ability to adapt his scheme across multiple eras ... Running multiple fronts and confusing top quarterbacks for 30 years is a tremendous legacy  

And he just took the Patriots to the playoffs with a terrible rag arm quarterback...

He just can't stop Josh Allen : ) 

And yes he isn't the greatest GM.. but his defensive coaching abilities are unquestioned

He stopped them because he had players faking injuries, it's now a rule because of what they did. I guess cheaters do prosper.

Edited by ScorpionZero

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I would not argue against Belichick’s defensive genius.  That’s inarguably who he is.  That’s not his issue.  Overall team success takes the right blend of greatness.  Belichick is known for running his team in a tough, grueling and absolutely no fun allowed way.

Does he handle punt return team? Oh wait.... nevermind

I saw one poster compared Belichick to Al Davis, which I thought was painfully accurate. A legend who deteriorated to the point that he was a joke to most young fans who didn't remember him in his prime. Belichick is heading that way. It's time to gracefully exit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

A lot of Belichick defenders on here.  Belichick the coach makes Belichick the GM look better than he is.

And he's not the same without Brady (as GM).  Brady:

- Took less pay so that the team could afford better players

- Was the GOAT, so attracted the best FA's

- Was the GOAT, so FA's would take less money to play w/ him

- Made everyone around him better.

Brady was a GM's dream.  It is so much easier to build a competitive roster with a player like that.  That's all over now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.