Bills 2nd round pick ???

TFBillsfan

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Want to know what the dumbest thing anyone can say about any draft pick?  

We only got the "X" best player at "X" position.  

That is such a ridiculous statement to make on draft night.  Take WR for example, 7 of the top 10 WR's were NOT taken in the first round, were NOT close to being the first couple WRs taken in their respective drafts.  This includes our own Diggs, Adams, Kupp, Hill, etc.  

Prospects are graded, and what can separate a guy from going first round and third round can be splitting hairs in some cases, teams passing over other needs or players at other positions sliding, etc etc..  There are a certain amount of players coming out every year at each position, and people have to arbitrarily rank them, and EVERYONE ranks them DIFFERENT, and mocks drafts are pre draft rankings are never remotely accurate...literally never.  

For any poster to sit here and complain well now we have to settle for the "Xth best WR" (or whatever position) on the board is being foolish.  You have no idea how good or not that player will be at the next level.  Nobody knows how these guys will pan out, and every team looks at them differently for their own systems, fit, and style of play...not to mention people range in grading skills across the NFL too.  

The draft is entirely about finding value, and truly successful NFL teams are ones who build their teams in the middle rounds, thats what separates teams who win consistently or not.  

And the best part...our FO took a perennial losing franchise for almost 2 decades and got them immediately in the playoffs and are now not just a playoff team, but probably the best roster in the NFL and a major SB favorite with a perennial MVP candidate on the roster.  

True. 

Denzel Mims RD2 (59)

Gabriel Davis RD4 (128)

Same draft. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

For most of last year the OL was not good..

Dawkins was fighting covid and covid effects for most of the year.   Not a coincidence the OL came together in conjunction with our talented LT finally looking like himself.  

Regardless of whether anyone thinks Saffold is still a pro-bowl caliber Guard, he’s likely an upgrade over Williams. 

Morse was a reliable player all year, and he’s back with us. 

OL came together, also, when we finally put Bates in the starting five.   He’s back, and as of now, it looks like the other Guard spot is his to lose. 

Spencer Brown was a raw rookie RT.  No reason to think he won’t improve.  

Not sure I see an IOL who pushes any of those five out of a spot tonight.. maybe someone like Parham… maybe.  

If we don’t address OL tonight, it’s hard to see any Day 3 lineman that would definitely beat out Doyle, Quessenberry, Ford, Boettger or Mancz.  Certainly not a Tackle, where Doyle was a developmental Day 3 pick last year and Quessenberry is a decent vet.   Maybe IOL could compete for a spot against Ford/Mancz and Ike probably starts the year on the PUP. 

Also, Kromer should help a lot.  

I just don’t really see OL as a sensible pick … next year, absolutely. 

Nobody on the Bills offensive line is dominant. Nobody. If there is someone that projects better than what they have they should absolutely take that player.

• Agree 3

38 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

I'll probably be in the vast minority and get flamed for this, but I'd pick David Ojabo and let him sit the first year.  Where the Bills stand now they can afford to do this.  Mind you I know there are other players that would make a bigger impact (maybe) this year, but for the long run I think Ojabo would be the best choice

No way. Not a chance. So not only would we continue to ignore the offense but we would do it in order to take a defensive player that won’t see the field this year?  Come on…

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Bean is allergic to offensive picks not named Josh Allen above the 3rd round. I swear he must call the Green Bay front office a lot cause this is exactly what they do with Aaron Rogers 

We traded a first round pick for a star wr. Something GB has never done

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Still go back to rumors of the Bills moving a vet for a pick/trade-up.  

Resigning myself to the fact that player traded will not be “he who shall not be named”, but I do wonder what Epenesa’s value could be league wide. 

Former RD2 pick, still two years left on his rookie deal.  In RD3, Epenesa likely has more potential than the EDGE prospects left on the board. 

Id feel 100% comfortable with Von, Rousseau, Basham and Lawson at DE.  As it stands, Epenesa looks to be competing with Basham and Shaq as to who will be odd man out on Gamedays. 

Nothing about Epanesa impresses me. I think he stinks.

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That is such a ridiculous statement to make on draft night.  Take WR for example, 7 of the top 10 WR's were NOT taken in the first round, were NOT close to being the first couple WRs taken in their respective drafts.  This includes our own Diggs, Adams, Kupp, Hill, etc.  

Prospects are graded, and what can separate a guy from going first round and third round can be splitting hairs in some cases, teams passing over other needs or players at other positions sliding, etc etc..  There are a certain amount of players coming out every year at each position, and people have to arbitrarily rank them, and EVERYONE ranks them DIFFERENT, and mocks drafts are pre draft rankings are never remotely accurate...literally never.  

For any poster to sit here and complain well now we have to settle for the "Xth best WR" (or whatever position) on the board is being foolish.  You have no idea how good or not that player will be at the next level.  Nobody knows how these guys will pan out, and every team looks at them differently for their own systems, fit, and style of play...not to mention people range in grading skills across the NFL too.  

The draft is entirely about finding value, and truly successful NFL teams are ones who build their teams in the middle rounds, thats what separates teams who win consistently or not.  

And the best part...our FO took a perennial losing franchise for almost 2 decades and got them immediately in the playoffs and are now not just a playoff team, but probably the best roster in the NFL and a major SB favorite with a perennial MVP candidate on the roster.  

Very true but we fans are craving for a super bowl win. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Dislike 1

I read somewhere that Beane attended two Maryland football games this season......the only player on Maryland that has a chance to be drafted in the entire draft is Nick Cross. There is a good chance he takes him at 57 if he is unable to move up for an offensive playmaker like Hall or Metchie.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Nothing about Epanesa impresses me. I think he stinks.

Very true but we fans are craving for a super bowl. 

So why don’t the fans trust the front office knowing more than them that just turned a 2 decade losing franchise into a perennial playoff team and SB contender with probably the best roster in the NFL?  

Had they listened to the fans, Josh Rosen would have been our QB and we wouldn’t have Diggs or Tre White.

And let’s be real, not only is this the best shot at a SB for the Bills in nearly 30 years, it might be the best shot in franchise history.  Those SB teams played in a weak AFC where the truly elite teams were in the NFC.  Now, AFC is the powerhouse side and we are arguably the best team In the AFC with no team in the NFC really being that scary to meet in the SB.

So people should realize by now, our FO knows what they are doing.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Interesting and good post.  Beane has had an up and down track record with middle of the draft picks. Epenesa and Ford are 2nd round massive busts. Moss may be as well. H. Phillips was at best serviceable. Knox and Davis however are stars. Singletary is fine. Bass looks great. And Basham and Brown look ok but are mostly too soon to tell.

Probably no better or no worse than any other GM. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

5 minutes ago, Billy Zabka said:

Trade Edmunds and our 2nd for the Giants 2nd and take Nakobe Dean LB Georgia. You shave 11 million off the cap and get cost control at the position the next 4 years.  Not to mention he is probably a better Linebacker than the flawed Edmunds.

Seriously dude…this “keep stacking the d” stuff has gone far enough. 

IF we draft Linebacker..      Trade Edmunds for a third round pick this year and conditional pick next year.

Would be nice to recover a day 3 pick.

Sorry I brought up he who shall not be named.......  But 'tis the season for speculation.

Edited by Yantha
  • Eyeroll 2

The next 2 picks will be a good indicator of how much 11 or 12 personnel they plan on using. For 11 we're probably gonna a see a shifty, good pass catching back and a WR who should have the skills for slot play. If it's 12 then we're probably looking at a more of a one cut, get North bruiser and a TE who can block and give you at least some receiving skills. The picks won't be necessarily be in the order in which I wrote it.

29 minutes ago, Billy Zabka said:

Trade Edmunds and our 2nd for the Giants 2nd and take Nakobe Dean LB Georgia. You shave 11 million off the cap and get cost control at the position the next 4 years.  Not to mention he is probably a better Linebacker than the flawed Edmunds.

Do the Giants have cap space?  No they do not.

If they would clear cap space, if he is so bad why would they want him?

• Like (+1) 1

If they are serious about running 12 personnel a good amount this year, they probably really need to come out of tonight with a new TE and RB.

OJ Howard is an ok player for $3 mil this year, but he is not gonna help in the running game as much as you would like with 12 personnel and is only here for a year

Trey McBride and Rachaad White is probably the best realistic pairing I can think of.

McBride is very good at everything and White is a good receiving back with just enough to punish teams if the play light in the box

Edited by LEBills
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Just realized the Ravens now have 6 4th rd picks, geez.

Because they know there's slot of talent in the middle of the draft, besides they are dart board drafters.2 of those 4 probably give you some good playing time and security to some extent for possible injuries to starters.

54 minutes ago, Special K said:

I read somewhere that Beane attended two Maryland football games this season......the only player on Maryland that has a chance to be drafted in the entire draft is Nick Cross. There is a good chance he takes him at 57 if he is unable to move up for an offensive playmaker like Hall or Metchie.

Cross’s DCoordinator at Maryland, Brian Stewart, was also a defensive assistant for the Eagles back when McDermott was DC

Very real possibility

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.