RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

16 hours ago, Metal Man said:

I don't think it was as much Dallas specifically taking Elam as it was who might be on the phone with Dallas and/or Baltimore trying to trade up as well.

Mods, we NEED a Doug Marrone "obviously" reaction. Not to mock a poster, but to agree smugly. 

On 4/29/2022 at 6:49 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

IIRC, they get a box of all 32 hats.

On 4/29/2022 at 6:51 AM, Doc said:

Seems like a waste of hats.

What's strange is that the Bills hat he's wearing is not the official draft hat.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

What's strange is that the Bills hat he's wearing is not the official draft hat.

He probably got it on the visit to Buffalo.  His bro was wearing a knitted Bills cap and I doubt the camera crew brought that with them.

On 5/4/2022 at 2:20 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

The trade is all semantics. Like if they don't trade up maybe they lose Elam. Maybe they trade down, or take someone they don't want as much at 25. Sure they would still have their 4th, but it's a gamble. 

Let's say they stay put. They draft Elam (maybe), then they take Cook and Bernard. Beane essentially said the trade downs in the 2nd were to recoup picks, ammo. If he doesn't lose that 4th maybe he doesn't trade down. Let's say he never trades down and just takes Cook and then Bernard, he would have taken Shakir in the 4th. So all the trade up really cost him was that 5th, but they probably don't have those extra sixths. Probably take Araiza in the fifth, followed by Benford and Spector. So in reality, the trade up really just cost them a 5-6. That is how I see it in my mind. They had 8 picks and they drafted 7 guys. And rounds 1-4 go the same IF Elam is still there at 25. If he is really their guy, it is too much of risk to lose him even if there is a small chance someone takes him. 

I think us non-data-nerds can thank you for even extrapolating this far.  I’m sure Beane’s head started hurting from all the over thinking and he just pulled the trigger to save on aspirin later on  

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Josh: “Looking forward to going against you in camp! We’re going to test you.”(All good natured as usual)

Kaiir: “Good luck.”

Did this exchange actually happen?

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It's in the video from the tweet above, said it towards the end when Josh was inviting him to the Sabres game.

I thought that was a video I had seen before and didn't remember that exchange.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I thought that was a video I had seen before and didn't remember that exchange.

I just watched it, it’s a pretty long video. I think it just came out today. There had been clips released previously but this was the whole thing. Elam’s first 24 hours. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.