RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

17 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Good call. Lito was great.  I actually always thought Florida was known for producing very good DB’s. 

Lito Sheppard was 20 years ago. There were some solid college DBs back then but most of them did not pan out. Reggie Nelson was 15 years ago. Haden was 12 years ago.

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

People mad that the Bills gave up a 4th Rd pick. lol.

Drafted a position of need, hopefully the kids game translates. 

The Gabe Davis example is an outlier with a great GM in Beane in the 4th.  Just like Diggs and Milano are outliers in the 5th.  

Beane made a calculated move to ensure the CB he rated as a true #1.  I don’t look back on that one.  We still have excellent talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and can get solid players.  I wouldn’t be surprised at all of Beane thinks the target is worth it to move up in either round with our 5th, two 6’s, and as I said before we draft a punter in the 7th.

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

You don't even know what you're talking about. 

What else is new 😂

3 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

And if Elam becomes All Pro?  What if, what if, what if...

Time will tell. Everyone knows you can't really judge a draft class until you've seen your players perform for at least 3-4 years. Posters here are always saying you can't draft for need, gotta go with BPA. Well Elam was a need. If you go by most if not all prospect rankings he was well behind players like Lloyd, Johnson and Booth. 

Elam may very well turn out the best of the bunch and I hope that's what becomes reality. But as of today you can't tell me or anyone else that's the case.

Just now, RichRiderBills said:

The culture at UF Football has been problematic for a long time. A lot of entitlement and self interested players. Problems are not his alone, but under Mullen the team lacked discipline and had no structure. 

Many of these players get by on talent, get sheltered in a coddling environment, then sputter when they get in environments that challenge them. 

Frankly, this has not been just an issue for UF DBs...it's hit all positions.

Believe me, most the guys listed had GREAT combine and draft grades. 

Reading up on Elam seems like kid has his head on straight and is the type of Football player the Bills love. He comes from a family who has played in the league and I expect him to be able to handle the challenges that come with playing in the NFL. Love seeing him request that the Bills playbook be on the plane with him as he travels to Buffalo. 

This was a good read about a player who is not satisfied with losing and takes it personally as motivation to improve his game and those around him.

https://www.gatorsports.com/story/football/2021/09/21/kaiir-elam-wants-put-rest-notion-florida-gators-any-way-satisfied-moral-victories/5795501001/

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

The Gabe Davis example is an outlier with a great GM in Beane in the 4th.  Just like Diggs and Milano are outliers in the 5th.  

Beane made a calculated move to ensure the CB he rated as a true #1.  I don’t look back on that one.  We still have excellent talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and can get solid players.  I wouldn’t be surprised at all of Beane thinks the target is worth it to move up in either round with our 5th, two 6’s, and as I said before we draft a punter in the 7th.

This is what I dont geat about this draft "Not a lot of good 1st rd talent and Loaded in 3rd 4th rds" do not seem to fit together.

Trade up again if you have to.

I'm still all aboard the Hall train, get a game breaking RB.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Reading up on Elam seems like kid has his head on straight and is the type of Football player the Bills love. He comes from a family who has played in the league and I expect him to be able to handle the challenges that come with playing in the NFL. Love seeing him request that the Bills playbook be on the plane with him as he travels to Buffalo. 

This was a good read about a player who is not satisfied with losing and takes it personally as motivation to improve his game and those around him.

https://www.gatorsports.com/story/football/2021/09/21/kaiir-elam-wants-put-rest-notion-florida-gators-any-way-satisfied-moral-victories/5795501001/

He played in the bowl game too. Which for a draftable UF player was reassuring. Probably the historic all time low of UF this year.

I will root for Elam and hope I'm wrong. But I don't like the pick. I guess in Beane we trust. Elam is coming into a great environment.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Florida hasn’t been developing NFL starters for a few years. Their program fell off. But it really doesn’t mean anything.

We "hope" it does not mean anything.

For all of the talking heads on here who just KNOW Elam was the wrong pick, I suggest you click the link and read the scouting report below. Thank you..... That is all.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tre'davious-white/32005748-4954-7699-8d1e-4952613e94ee

Full-time starter for better part of four years and one of the premier mirror-and-match cornerbacks in the game. Has the feet, athleticism and instincts for prolonged coverage responsibilities and his twitch will always have him near the throw. Best suited for all forms of man coverage. Should compete as special teams performer. Lacks run-support physicality to be an every-down corner, but he's talented enough to challenge for slot duties right away.

:rolleyes:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I did not go back that far. 

The culture at UF Football has been problematic for a long time. A lot of entitlement and self interested players. Problems are not his alone, but under Mullen the team lacked discipline and had no structure. It's at a near all time poor level. Rough years for UF ahead.

Many of these players get by on talent, get sheltered in a coddling environment, then sputter when they get in environments that challenge them. 

Frankly, this has not been just an issue for UF DBs...it's hit all positions.

Believe me, most the guys listed had GREAT combine and draft grades. 

interesting. I used to feel the same way about Texas players under Mac Brown. Super soft and coddled— one of the reasons I didn’t like our infamous Mike Williams pick.

15 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Lito Sheppard was 20 years ago. There were some solid college DBs back then but most of them did not pan out. Reggie Nelson was 15 years ago. Haden was 12 years ago.

thanks for reminding me that I am getting old! 

59 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't see any Levi Wallace there other than they both have good eye discipline. Leodis was a good athlete who sometimes struggled with his transitions, that is the similarity I see. 

Body type much different than Leodis, closer to Levi

42 minutes ago, BTB said:

Bottom line…CB was a MAJOR need.  Forgot Tre being healthy come September(where Elam could then slot nicely as CB2), what if he is not? The secondary would be a disaster. I don’t like pissing away a 4th rounder to move two slots, but clearly the Bills did not feel comfortable that he would last two more picks. 

Having seen Embedded for a prior draft, Beane does tend to panic a little when he liked a guy (Ford, Knox)

1 hour ago, RichRiderBills said:

Here are the last great 1st and 2nd round DBs from Florida...

CJ Henderson, Keanu Neal, Duke Dawson, Quincy Wilson, Teez Tabor...Vernon Hargreaves, oh and terrible Matt Elam.

all busts...

I do think it is a legit question mark. That said of all the above the only one I liked was Duke and even he got taken way ahead of where he should have been. But that defense has had a habit of sending guys to the pros from the secondary who have struggled to adjust. None of them have had Sean McDermott and Leslie Frazier though. If Elam is a good kid and works hard and listens he can buck the trend. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.