RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

It's interesting that Tyler Smith is not from Utah and is actually from Tulsa. Maybe the name in that slot was Devin Lloyd originally?

Another thing interesting is that if the draft board he showed was indeed the real one, they passed on Cine who was in their tier one and went to Tyler Smith in their tier 2 instead.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Stretch said:

Based the the leaked Cowboys draft board, the Bills did not have to worry about Dallas taking Elam at 24.

I don't think it was as much Dallas specifically taking Elam as it was who might be on the phone with Dallas and/or Baltimore trying to trade up as well.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Metal Man said:

I don't think it was as much Dallas specifically taking Elam as it was who might be on the phone with Dallas and/or Baltimore trying to trade up as well.

This.  Again Baltimore was obviously shopping their pick to more teams than just Buffalo, and Dallas no doubt would have liked to move down a few spots and still get Smith, which probably explains why they took so long making their pick.

Edited by Doc
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Stretch said:

Based the the leaked Cowboys draft board, the Bills did not have to worry about Dallas taking Elam at 24.

Wasn't so much Dallas taking the pick as it was whom Dallas might of traded down with. Every team knew Buffalo wanted a CB and jumping in front of Buffalo was the concern

• Agree 2

On 5/3/2022 at 8:46 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah Levi is one of the slowest corners in the NFL. He gets every ounce out of his ability and I appreciate his efforts as an UDFA, but at the end of the day he was a huge liability. But this is liking going from a Yugo to a Lamborghini. 

Yep.   

And if they actually become a more multiple defense........capable of going back and forth from heavy zone to a lot of press-man usage based on opponent.........then Elam is a premium position pick.

If that defensive plan fails and they end up having to stick with what worked well with Levi...........even if Elam plays fine in zone concepts, and it's hard to say if he will because he didn't do it much at Florida...............then it becomes a question of whether they invested a $20M kinda' personnel chip into a guy at a position they could have filled with a journeyman type.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Tre isn’t a great tackler either 

He is a lot better then was advertised.....

15 hours ago, Stretch said:

I dont suppose it might have occurred to you that everybody's draft board is different?

The trade is all semantics. Like if they don't trade up maybe they lose Elam. Maybe they trade down, or take someone they don't want as much at 25. Sure they would still have their 4th, but it's a gamble. 

Let's say they stay put. They draft Elam (maybe), then they take Cook and Bernard. Beane essentially said the trade downs in the 2nd were to recoup picks, ammo. If he doesn't lose that 4th maybe he doesn't trade down. Let's say he never trades down and just takes Cook and then Bernard, he would have taken Shakir in the 4th. So all the trade up really cost him was that 5th, but they probably don't have those extra sixths. Probably take Araiza in the fifth, followed by Benford and Spector. So in reality, the trade up really just cost them a 5-6. That is how I see it in my mind. They had 8 picks and they drafted 7 guys. And rounds 1-4 go the same IF Elam is still there at 25. If he is really their guy, it is too much of risk to lose him even if there is a small chance someone takes him. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The trade is all semantics. Like if they don't trade up maybe they lose Elam. Maybe they trade down, or take someone they don't want as much at 25. Sure they would still have their 4th, but it's a gamble. 

Let's say they stay put. They draft Elam (maybe), then they take Cook and Bernard. Beane essentially said the trade downs in the 2nd were to recoup picks, ammo. If he doesn't lose that 4th maybe he doesn't trade down. Let's say he never trades down and just takes Cook and then Bernard, he would have taken Shakir in the 4th. So all the trade up really cost him was that 5th, but they probably don't have those extra sixths. Probably take Araiza in the fifth, followed by Benford and Spector. So in reality, the trade up really just cost them a 5-6. That is how I see it in my mind. They had 8 picks and they drafted 7 guys. And rounds 1-4 go the same IF Elam is still there at 25. If he is really their guy, it is too much of risk to lose him even if there is a small chance someone takes him. 

That's an excellent take on what happened and what the alternatives were.  Thanks.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Stretch said:

I think it's safe to say the Ravens weren't taking another Elam from Florida in the 1st round again either.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rico said:

I think it's safe to say the Ravens weren't taking another Elam from Florida in the 1st round again either.

But there is no guarantee another team wouldn't have traded down to get him. It only takes one

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

But there is no guarantee another team wouldn't have traded down to get him. It only takes one

Absolutely, all I'm saying is the Ravens weren't taking him & now it looks like the Cowboys weren't either. I have no problem with the trade-up myself.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

Absolutely, all I'm saying is the Ravens weren't taking him & now it looks like the Cowboys weren't either. I have no problem with the trade-up myself.

Since Elam was taken by the Billls we will never know

9 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Everybody knew we wanted a CB, and there was apparently only one top tier CB left. I have no problem with the trade up given the situation. Might it have been unnecessary? Sure. Did we get the guy they wanted? Absolutely! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.