RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

so im trying to watch some of his games... i have watched 2 games so far... not one time did I see him try a lame tackle or not react well to a tackle... Sometimes scout reports are duplicated so many times, that unless you watch the dudes games... you would believe them. I think he is a fine open field tackler and I think by the time the dusk has settled at the end of the year... they either let him man the #2 wr and play mixed man/zone (many teams do this) or they play zone on his side and let trey man up... bottom line if he turns out to be a really strong #2... you can do so much more on defense. When Tre went down... we were stuck in zone hell

It’s funny when you read the scouting reports and they repeat the same theme. Yeah, maybe he gave up a long TD to some current NFL player in 2001. WOW, if that’s be best you have, he’s probably pretty good! 

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Don't sell Tre short on his ability to turn the ball over either, particular at key moments.

A handful of corners have that natural ability to take it away, whether it's from laying bait in their own matchup, or reading and rolling to somebody else's or timing the uppercut just right.

I don't think folks have seen much of that out of Elam yet, but Tre's got it in his blood.

The one that sticks with me was in an empty stadium against Seattle.  Art.

19 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Is the guy he handed his notebook to Defensive Backs Coach John Butler? I think so.

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The big plus for me is competition level......Elam is covering guys that are expected to be top receivers for their NFL team.  He is coming from some small cool and hope that talents translate to competition at the NFL Level.

It seems like you're writing two different ideas above. Elam played at Florida which is SEC. He played against Alabama (Jameson Williams and John Metchie) so yes, he played at a high level of competition.

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

so im trying to watch some of his games... i have watched 2 games so far... not one time did I see him try a lame tackle or not react well to a tackle... Sometimes scout reports are duplicated so many times, that unless you watch the dudes games... you would believe them. I think he is a fine open field tackler and I think by the time the dusk has settled at the end of the year... they either let him man the #2 wr and play mixed man/zone (many teams do this) or they play zone on his side and let trey man up... bottom line if he turns out to be a really strong #2... you can do so much more on defense. When Tre went down... we were stuck in zone hell

You make two great points:

1) It's not so much scouts as writers who duplicate content and repeat fallacies (i.e.-poor tackler).

2) There are some "prominent" posters here who are arguing that the Bills don't need another good CB because they run a CB-friendly system. Those people are missing the point (you made) that the Bills have been limited as to what coverages they can play due to average talent at CB2. Now they have no such restrictions and McFrazier can now really turn the heat up on offenses and change up their coverage schemes.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

A thousand pardons if posted. Fun Brobible compilation of Elam-is-awesome content (thinly veiled as a draft interview process piece).

https://brobible.com/sports/article/kaiir-elam-nfl-draft-interview-bills/

Includes the combine interview clip many have already seen, where he busts out his Growth Mindset notebook, but has a couple other little nuggets. I hadn't seen this:

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Like (+1) 5

On 5/1/2022 at 4:02 PM, Shaw66 said:

Obviously, also, the word is out about what the Bills are looking for.  Elam's agent told Elam to bring the notebook, and he told Elam to be sure to take it out of his backpack in the interview.  Nevertheless, McBeane were very interested. 

Quite cool. 

Have to believe his dad Abe - 8 years in league - and uncle Matt  - 5 years in league - also coached him up on interviews and effective habits in college that will aid him in draft process.  He still had to do the work so kudos to Kaiir   

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

2) There are some "prominent" posters here who are arguing that the Bills don't need another good CB because they run a CB-friendly system. Those people are missing the point (you made) that the Bills have been limited as to what coverages they can play due to average talent at CB2. Now they have no such restrictions and McFrazier can now really turn the heat up on offenses and change up their coverage schemes.

I think this is an interesting point.  I'm realizing that I'm getting excited about the Bills prospects this season.  We've been watching this team get better and better, and now we're watching in the process of getting better again.  This is the kind of culture and success that McDermott talked about when he first came to Buffalo.   He said this is what he was going to do. 

One of the things they've done to get better is what you say about Elam.  They had a number 1 defense, and it was limited, so the Bills went to work to fix that limitation.  Beane found a way to get to Elam.  

The offense needed speed, and it needed to attack in new ways.  Instead of going after a receiver, who only could compete for time with Diggs and Davis, they got a running back can be a threat in ADDITION to what they already can do.  

This is an organization that is making itself better, intelligently, year after year.  

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Some points of interest I got out of this highlight reel.

#1. He had a couple PI that would of been called in the NFL

#2. People have knocked this dude for not being physical enough at point of contact? not sure if I agree with that assessment 

#3. This guy played some great Man and Zone.

#4. This dude not only had some INT's in his college career but they were AMAZING int's and this highlight reel does not cover all of them.

#5. He needs to watch his hand checking. 

#6. We needed speed in our backfield and we got it. Against a pro like Hill? I would use his speed double covering Hill and Tre on the other side. 

#7. He does not fall for the fakes to often... rare as a CB.

thoughts?

Completely agree.  He's a super competitive player, not sure why he was getting labeled "soft" (maybe just a myth on these boards). 

I'm most excited about the complimentary skills he brings. Tre locks down the quick/shifty receivers extremely well,  but Levi struggled with defending any players with 'length', ie: Claypool, Parker, etc.  Really gives Frazier/Mcd alot more versatility/flexibility with playcalling.

Not to get off the Elam topic, but that was a theme this draft...get morr athletic and create a lot of scheme versatility.  Might be that we haven't had a roster this talented in a long time, but I really liked the overall draft strategy.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Have to believe his dad Abe - 8 years in league - and uncle Matt  - 5 years in league - also coached him up on interviews and effective habits in college that will aid him in draft process.  He still had to do the work so kudos to Kaiir   

All of that.   

Beane and McDermott are looking for guys like that.  Focused on what needs to be done.  Bernard is like that.  And Shakir.  And I think Cook is, too, but Cook isn't vocal about it.    When asked how he learned to catch and not fumble, he just said, "Work.  You gotta put in the work.  Lose the ball, you don't play."   He's a guy who's focused on getting better.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

It seems like you're writing two different ideas above. Elam played at Florida which is SEC. He played against Alabama (Jameson Williams and John Metchie) so yes, he played at a high level of competition.

He forgot to put a "not" after "He is."

• Like (+1) 1

In the first 24 hours video posted on BB.com, did anyone notice how Tre and Kaiir look to be closer in height than the measurements suggest? I guess 2" are easily made up if Tre is wearing thick-soled trainers while Elam could be wearing low profile dress shoes? Not a big deal, of course. But stood out to me just now watching that video. 

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

A thousand pardons if posted. Fun Brobible compilation of Elam-is-awesome content (thinly veiled as a draft interview process piece).

https://brobible.com/sports/article/kaiir-elam-nfl-draft-interview-bills/

Includes the combine interview clip many have already seen, where he busts out his Growth Mindset notebook, but has a couple other little nuggets. I hadn't seen this:

I can see Tre and Kaiir dancing in a blizzard already.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Completely agree.  He's a super competitive player, not sure why he was getting labeled "soft" (maybe just a myth on these boards). 

I'm most excited about the complimentary skills he brings. Tre locks down the quick/shifty receivers extremely well,  but Levi struggled with defending any players with 'length', ie: Claypool, Parker, etc.  Really gives Frazier/Mcd alot more versatility/flexibility with playcalling.

Not to get off the Elam topic, but that was a theme this draft...get morr athletic and create a lot of scheme versatility.  Might be that we haven't had a roster this talented in a long time, but I really liked the overall draft strategy.

Speed not only kills... it allows you to do a great many things. Because he is also good at man... You can do the typical man lock on one side and give tre help with some of the best WR's in the game with Safety help... OR you can put tre on the #2 WR and lock him down.. and lock the #1 WR using speed and a Safety.... OPTIONS. 

And I remind you what Seatle did when they had 2 really strong Corners on that SB team... You play against a team that does not have real #1 WR's ... and there are many teams like that... you can man up tre and Elam with 2 deep a deep safety and a guy in the middle that you blitz... or keep in the middle for extra help.. or blitz..

OPTIONS

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I hadn’t realized Levi only clocked a 4.63 forty time.  Elam ran like 4.39 or something.  Big difference against speed like KC had.

I liked Elam’s first 24 hours vid.  Not flashy but he’s a good dude and genuine.  Great culture fit.  Overall big picture you can pretty much see how much he can improve with good coaching to gain the consistency he has the potential to achieve.

15 minutes ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

I hadn’t realized Levi only clocked a 4.63 forty time.  Elam ran like 4.39 or something.  Big difference against speed like KC had.

I liked Elam’s first 24 hours vid.  Not flashy but he’s a good dude and genuine.  Great culture fit.  Overall big picture you can pretty much see how much he can improve with good coaching to gain the consistency he has the potential to achieve.

Yeah Levi is one of the slowest corners in the NFL. He gets every ounce out of his ability and I appreciate his efforts as an UDFA, but at the end of the day he was a huge liability. But this is liking going from a Yugo to a Lamborghini. 

14 hours ago, Simon said:

Don't sell Tre short on his ability to turn the ball over either, particular at key moments.

A handful of corners have that natural ability to take it away, whether it's from laying bait in their own matchup, or reading and rolling to somebody else's or timing the uppercut just right.

I don't think folks have seen much of that out of Elam yet, but Tre's got it in his blood.

Tre improved his take-away ability during his time in Buffalo, to the point where after he got 6 in 2019, he's been getting fewer because QB don't risk him.

Tre had 2 INT each in 3 of his 4 college seasons, along with 7,6,7 and 14 PD.

It's not like Elam has had goose-egg in the take-away department in college.  He had 2, 2, and 1 INT and 4, 11, and 5 PD.  So he's done it in college some.

1 hour ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

It's not just the speed vs. speed in coverage.

People were all "why are we giving Kelce and Hill a free release off the line?" in the KC playoff game.  In part, it's because Wallace and Jackson, while admirable zone corners, are not guys who can get physical on the line *and recover if they lose*, IMO.  They just don't have the quickness for that.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think I've ever been more convinced a draft pick will pan out. He might not end up at Tre's level, but I have almost no doubt that he's going to be a strong #2 at the least.

SoYTDQG.png

I mean, look at this kid. I've only ever dreamt of being that cool. It's not the over the top, look at my necklace, cool/confidence. He just is.

Plus he's got the athletic ability, notebooks, and work ethic to back it up. Kid is going to be good. 

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

There was a scouting report or 2 that mentions his tackling and playing soft....  

5 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

There was a scouting report or 2 that mentions his tackling and playing soft....  

I covered this earlier in this topic.... there are tons of scouting reports that go around. When a weakness hits a scouting report it kind of sticks with you... so much copy paste by armatures... and it sticks... I watched 2 of his games and all of his highlights... NOTHING soft about this dude....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.