RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

13 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

It's cliché as a Bills fan now but...I'm going to go ahead and trust McBeane on this...They needed a CB, and I think McD especially knows what DB's fit in their system. His record is pretty good here... Elam has traits and pedigree...It's a big need area. I think it's fine. My guess would be that we could have had him at #25. But that's a guess...So...GO BILLS...B-)

Yeah I assume Elam will turn into a really good starter.    

Maybe the low fruit of the Elam football tree would be REALLY bad pickin's for a drought era team........especially snagging him just before his daddy's team could.  

That might have dampened his spirit significantly and set him on a course for 1 contract and done OR bust if this was 2012.

But as Richard Sherman said..........with the coaching he is going to get and the situation the team is in he shouldn't fail.   

It's important to remember that one of the reasons the Bills drought left them with ZERO of their first round picks from the prior 17 drafts on the field in Jagsonville when they finally made the playoffs was because the organization didn't get the best from those players.

It wasn't a lack of talent.

It was a lack of direction.......and a lack of a QB to put them into contention.......more than anything else.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Seeing all someone’s hopes, dreams, and hard work payoff in a single moment like that is incredible and humbling.  I hope he’s a long time pro bowler for us. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3

15 hours ago, mannc said:

I don’t love it but I’m not going to second-guess McDermott on a CB…I do not understand the trade up though.

Probably they did not like their third best player left as much as Elam, and if you wait at 25 two players will be gone at 23 and 24 either to the teams with those picks, or someone trading to get ahead of the Bills (and since 23 was available in trade that is clearly a big open door). If they like this player I don't a 4th to move up and get him instead of risking getting stuck with a less valuable player at 25. Adding a 1st round trade up worthy player AND Tre back to our pass defense puts us in better position to stop Mahomes, Burrow, etc, so I like this pick overall.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Wouldn’t one think as a point of skill, and positional need, that a first round pick is a magnitude higher than a fourth round pick? This noise about a fourth round pick’s value being insinuated at a higher value than a first round pick / acquisition that filled a giant hole in our roster with a quality CB is preposterous, just stop already, be f ing happy we don’t have a giant hole in our starting line up anymore, context and priorities are important factors…, 

nuthin but love, 

Go Bills!!!

Sure.  Obviously the first round pick is more important than the fourth round pick.  But it would have been nice to have both, and we really should have had both.  That's all.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Perry Turtle said:

White and Elam could be the best pair of cornerbacks the Bills have ever had.

For their scheme..........yeah maybe.......... if Elam pans out and White stays on top of his game.

But they have had A LOT of good CB combo's who were actual real man coverage dudes who could run with anyone in the league at that time.

If the Bills played a defense like Cinci..........which changes schemes based on opponent...........would be hard to beat peak Clements and Winfield.

But like I said.......they've had a lot.........they have basically drafted a CB in round 1 every 3-4 years over the past 30.   Elam is the 8th.   Only bust was McKelvin.

All the rest got big second contracts........though most were with other teams..........because the Bills always felt they could just draft another in round 1 and plug them right in.

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Kaiir said previously he wants to wear #5. Marquez Stevenson has it now. Does he make the roster though? I'd say unless he wins the returner job he's definitely on the bubble

Right, I think unless Quez gets beat out for the 5th or 6th WR spot, Elam will need to shop for a new number. 32 would be sweet though. 

1 minute ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Jane slater said there were several teams wanting to trade infront of the cowboys, sounds like beane didn't just panic and burn a 4th for no reason.

No surprise.  I doubt the Ravens were shopping the pick to just the Bills.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That suit is 🔥🔥🔥

Meh.  Needs a red stripe across it.

13 hours ago, Governor said:

We likely had 4 CB’s on our board and traded up to secure the 4th ranked one. I don’t think anyone could say he was BPA. 

Beane’s job was to come home with a CB. He did that.  You’re throwing around phrases like “we got our guy” and that’s just silly.

The Bills surely had MORE than 4 CBs on their board.  I'm sure their board has CBs ranked by round throughout the draft.  They may have had 4 CBs they liked "best" maybe fewer, maybe more.  But being "on the board" doesn't mean those CBs were equal and interchangeable. I'm sure they considered the drop (according to their rankings) or why else move down?  Beane came out and admitted that was his last player with a 1st round pick. So BPA also.

What evidence do you have to suggest something different?

Some here seem to think Beane made the trade just to trade. That seems preposterous. 

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Jane slater said there were several teams wanting to trade infront of the cowboys, sounds like beane didn't just panic and burn a 4th for no reason.

I would bet that the Bills were aware of other teams that coveted Elam and were attempting to move up for him. Good for the Bills to make the move and get your man!

1 minute ago, Sestak4ever said:

I would bet that the Bills were aware of other teams that coveted Elam and were attempting to move up for him. Good for the Bills to make the move and get your man!

From what I heard, Beane didn't suggest he "knew" anything, but was concerned a team might grab him before he dropped.  So maybe the teams next in line or maybe a draft down. He didn't think it was worth the risk to wait.  One can question if he was correct, of course.  But nobody knows because it didn't happen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.