RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Immediately after the draft-

- I was upset that they passed on 3 corners I had rated higher than him.  

- I didn’t understand why they drafted a corner that excels in press man.

- I didn’t understand why they drafted the worst tackling corner of the 3 available.  

- I HATED the fact that they traded our best trade up chip to move up several spots in rd 2-3 so we can move ahead of one team in rd 1…..while there were better corners available.  

Slept, woke up-  new rationale 

-  Elam has the measurable they covet and whether or not I had him as the best corner available, Elam was the last 1st rd talent available on their board.  McB > Me

- I’m happy that we drafted a corner than excels in man.  Levi had a solid season but his inability to run with the faster WRs limited our play calling and his lack of speed eventually led to our season ending.   I’ve been hoping that they would switch things up more often and play more man.  I think this will lead to exactly that.  He’s very good in coverage but susceptible to getting beat deep…. something that McDs defense are usually not susceptible to.  Our safeties will help him over the top. 

- still not a fan of his tackling, but he’s physically strong and our coaches will coach him up.  He’ll get better.  We have the proper support system for him.  

- still mad that they traded the pick because I don’t think Dallas would’ve taken him….. but they got their guy.  He was obviously their only guy or they wouldn’t have traded up for him.  I’m glad they got their guy.  Now he’s my guy too!

LETS GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

As Beane said in his presser, in addition to the last R1 talent on their board, it was the possibility of someone jumping in front of them--everyone knew the Bills needed a CB. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

- I didn’t understand why they drafted the worst tackling corner of the 3 available.  

- I HATED the fact that they traded our best trade up chip to move up several spots in rd 2-3 so we can move ahead of one team in rd 1…..while there were better corners available.  

-  Elam has the measurable they covet and whether or not I had him as the best corner available, Elam was the last 1st rd talent available on their board.  McB > Me

- I’m happy that we drafted a corner than excels in man.  Levi had a solid season but his inability to run with the faster WRs limited our play calling and his lack of speed eventually led to our season ending.   I’ve been hoping that they would switch things up more often and play more man.  I think this will lead to exactly that.  He’s very good in coverage but susceptible to getting beat deep…. something that McDs defense are usually not susceptible to.  Our safeties will help him over the top. 

- still not a fan of his tackling, but he’s physically strong and our coaches will coach him up.  He’ll get better.  We have the proper support system for him.  

- still mad that they traded the pick because I don’t think Dallas would’ve taken him….. but they got their guy.  He was obviously their only guy or they wouldn’t have traded up for him.  I’m glad they got their guy.  Now he’s my guy too!

LETS GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

The 4th only would have allowed them to move up 4 spots in the 2nd and 8 spots in the 3rd.  If there's a guy they want that badly in either of those rounds, trade a 2023 draft pick in a package.  And no one knows who would have done what had the Ravens traded him to someone else, or if the Cowboys would have taken him (I think they would have and Beane knew it).  But it was still worth spending if it meant ensuring getting a need who was also BPA.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

LETS GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Good post, nice to see people come back and look at it rationally even if they initially were not on board.  

Also keep in mind, the trade up wasn’t just to get ahead of Dallas (although both Balt and Dal were capable of taking a corner there), but the first round had trades firing left and right.  And everyone and their mom knew Buffalo really needed a corner.  So if anyone wanted a corner, they would need to trade ahead of us to get one.

Our trade up was about making sure someone didn’t move ahead of us to take him.  

You know how I feel, I love the pick.  I personally thought it would be Booth as I thought he seemed more like a McD style fit, but I also loved Elam.  We got size and speed with him, and the 2020 version of him would have made him probably the a top 15 pick.  But 2021 they struggled as a team overall and he battled through a knee injury so he had a slightly lesser year as a result (although still very good).  

This kid seems dedicated to being great too from what I have read about him so far too.  He seems like the kind of player we will help develop to his full potential, and having him and Tre on opposite sides for the next several years might become the best tandem in the league if he does.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The fact Elam was their final first-round graded player justifies the trade. It's still disappointing they had to do it. Beane's previous fourth round picks with Buffalo are Gabriel Davis and Taron Johnson.

I can live with the trade. Just not a fan of Elam as a prospect in the first round.

41 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Bashing Edmunds is unique and tying it to Elam is an interesting new twist.  If we draft a punter in the 6th let’s see how you doing blaming Edmunds for that one too.

I presume the comparison is taking one of the younger players in the draft with huge athletic upside. Now whether that can translate into a more polished and efficient player on the field is questionable. 

48 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

It means that 15 years ago the Buffalo Bills selected Donte Whitner and Leodis McKelvin and these two draft picks ended our run of glory and ruined the franchise for a decade.  Therefore, selecting first round defensive backs is always a terrible idea.  That is the average Bills fan's understanding of football. 

Don't draft first round OL. Remember Mike Williams?!?!

Dont draft a 2nd RD WR, James Hardy (RIP)

or a first round QB  - EJ Manuel.

or a 3rd RD RB, Zack Moss

13 minutes ago, TPS said:

As Beane said in his presser, in addition to the last R1 talent on their board, it was the possibility of someone jumping in front of them--everyone knew the Bills needed a CB. 

Everyone knew but did they know that Elam was the only guy left Beane had a first rd grade on?  Either way, it’s over.  McB got the corner they wanted….and he doesn’t have sub 30 inch arms.  

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone knew but did they know that Elam was the only guy left Beane had a first rd grade on?  Either way, it’s over.  McB got the corner they wanted….and he doesn’t have sub 30 inch arms.  

I take back my offer to buy McDuffie a pair of gloves with 1/4 inch finger tips, and plan to write a note to the NFL rules committee demanding that type of glove is outlawed! 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Of course not, but that's what drove him to make the move--when need matches up with BPA (as he also said in his presser). 

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

The 4th only would have allowed them to move up 4 spots in the 2nd and 8 spots in the 3rd.  If there's a guy they want that badly in either of those rounds, trade a 2023 draft pick in a package.  And no one knows who would have done what had the Ravens traded him to someone else, or if the Cowboys would have taken him (I think they would have and Beane knew it).  But it was still worth spending if it meant ensuring getting a need who was also BPA.

It was only worth spending if someone was going to take Elam.  We’ll never know.  If the ravens fleeced us or not.  Trading up 4 spots in rd 2 and 7-8 spots in rd 3 could be huge if it got us a player we wouldn’t be able to get @ 57 and 89.  

either way, we’ll never know and what’s done is done.  I’m over it and will likely never mention it again.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

Are we going to get caught up on the 4th rounder all rest of the off season now?

I don’t have to ask do I?

At first I thought it would have been nice to get back a 6th rounder or so to move up just a couple spots. After considering it overnight, I realize that even if we “hit” on a late round pick and find an NFL quality player, he probably gets plucked off of our practice squad. That is the downside of having a quality roster. I’ll have to learn to live with that. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, TPS said:

Of course not, but that's what drove him to make the move--when need matches up with BPA (as he also said in his presser). 

Obv.  

I’m over it.  They got their guy.  Time to move on

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

My pro's and con's of this pick, and some quite frankly fit into both categories

Pros:

- Position of biggest need on team

- High upside potential

- Speed factor

- NFL pedigree being former player's son

-McD/Frazier seem to get most of position even with UDFA's like Wallace

Cons:

- Seems like another Edmunds type of player which is worrisome for many reasons

- Beane doesn't have great track record with most draft picks on the defensive side

- Does seem like Beane scrambled after KC made their move and this became a need pick vs BPA pick

- Gave up 4th round pick to move ahead of one team

In the end way too early to know what Elam will amount to in the NFL but still think we need to sign a veteran DB ASAP.

Epic fail on the negatives.

1. Edmunds type of player?  What does that even mean?  If it means 5 year starter, defensive signal caller, defensive captain, and multiple pro bowls, please sign me up.

2. Beane does not have a great track record?  Ed Oliver - starter and at times dominant.  5th yer option picked up and still improving.  White - pro bowler and elite CB1.  Edmunds- already covered.  Rousseau - 1st year starter.  OK then.

3. Beane scrambled?  What is the evidence of that.  He had a player targeted above others and got him.  We do not even know, and never will, if he wanted McDuffie.

4. Move ahead of 1 team?  Wrong.  If Baltimore was moving the pick, every other team was in play.  By the way, we do not know that Dallas did not want this player.  Their reaction at the draft table after the Bills trade and selection was announced indicated they may well have been targeting the same player.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good post, nice to see people come back and look at it rationally even if they initially were not on board.  

Also keep in mind, the trade up wasn’t just to get ahead of Dallas (although both Balt and Dal were capable of taking a corner there), but the first round had trades firing left and right.  And everyone and their mom knew Buffalo really needed a corner.  So if anyone wanted a corner, they would need to trade ahead of us to get one.

Our trade up was about making sure someone didn’t move ahead of us to take him.  

You know how I feel, I love the pick.  I personally thought it would be Booth as I thought he seemed more like a McD style fit, but I also loved Elam.  We got size and speed with him, and the 2020 version of him would have made him probably the a top 15 pick.  But 2021 they struggled as a team overall and he battled through a knee injury so he had a slightly lesser year as a result (although still very good).  

This kid seems dedicated to being great too from what I have read about him so far too.  He seems like the kind of player we will help develop to his full potential, and having him and Tre on opposite sides for the next several years might become the best tandem in the league if he does.

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I believe the prevailing thought was Tennessee was trying to jump us to get Elam, and partly evidenced by the fact that when we jumped Dallas and picked Elam, Titans immediately traded out of the round. So it wasnt just Dallas we were worried about.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Epic fail on the negatives.

1. Edmunds type of player?  What does that even mean?  If it means 5 year starter, defensive signal caller, defensive captain, and multiple pro bowls, please sign me up.

2. Beane does not have a great track record?  Ed Oliver - starter and at times dominant.  5th yer option picked up and still improving.  White - pro bowler and elite CB1.  Edmunds- already covered.  Rousseau - 1st year starter.  OK then.

3. Beane scrambled?  What is the evidence of that.  He had a player targeted above others and got him.  We do not even know, and never will, if he wanted McDuffie.

4. Move ahead of 1 team?  Wrong.  If Baltimore was moving the pick, every other team was in play.  By the way, we do not know that Dallas did not want this player.  Their reaction at the draft table after the Bills trade and selection was announced indicated they may well have been targeting the same player.

The Dallas war room looked awfully sombre.........i loved every minute of it.

10 hours ago, Adam727 said:

I don't like that this felt like a bit of a reach for a "need" pick, and not BPA.  You can't convince me Elam was BPA over Devon Lloyd, Linderbaum, & Jermaine Johnson.

I don't understand the need for a trade up.

But I'm not going to question Beane/McD when it comes to DBs, and if they were willing to trade up for him, this was clearly the player they wanted.  I'm excited we have a CB opposite White with good size, and the biggest hole on our team has been addressed. 

Not the player I was hoping we would get but I'm looking forward to seeing what Beane/McD can do with him.    

Non of this addresses a very specific need that we have. BPA which is subjective in the first place doesn’t help us this year with such a glaring need. There was no reach, this kid had pretty much the best coverage stats in a tough conference of any DB in the draft. We did what we needed to do at our biggest need. Great move…

Edited by Meatloaf63

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I believe the prevailing thought was Tennessee was trying to jump us to get Elam, and partly evidenced by the fact that when we jumped Dallas and picked Elam, Titans immediately traded out of the round. So it wasnt just Dallas we were worried about.

Yeah I heard that too.  We’ll probably never know, time to wipe it and reset.  

• Like (+1) 1

If there were only about 20 players with 1st-round grades and that was close to consensus around the league, it makes sense that picks in the 20 range (like 23) can extract more in a trade than you would otherwise think possible.

Obviously Elam was one of the last players that the Bills had a first round grade on (maybe THE last) and they didn't want to plug CB2 with a player a tier below.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.