RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And they were on the road at no fault of their defense.........it was as a result of their season-long struggles on the OL and a lack of YAC talent during the regular season.

The OL was mostly fine after Bates got inserted. Bates plus Saffold is a huge improvement on what the Bills fielded at guard earlier in the season. They added Quessenberry to make sure Spencer Brown isn't handed the job.

YAC receivers are found on day two of the draft every year. I still expect the Bills to get one.

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree that pass rush was a huge need and Von Miller can tangibly make a difference.   Mahomes was just LETHAL in that game scrambling and buying time.

Can Kaiir Elam do anything about what happened in the Chiefs game?   Probably not.   He'd have been in the same spots in "13 seconds".    And no he isn't catching Tyreek Hill in a foot race.

I said elsewhere that if you add Von Miller to our team last year we likely win the Chiefs game, and if you add Kaiir Elam we likely win the Bucs game. Those were the two most glaring holes on the team.

My pro's and con's of this pick, and some quite frankly fit into both categories

Pros:

- Position of biggest need on team

- High upside potential

- Speed factor

- NFL pedigree being former player's son

-McD/Frazier seem to get most of position even with UDFA's like Wallace

Cons:

- Seems like another Edmunds type of player which is worrisome for many reasons

- Beane doesn't have great track record with most draft picks on the defensive side

- Does seem like Beane scrambled after KC made their move and this became a need pick vs BPA pick

- Gave up 4th round pick to move ahead of one team

In the end way too early to know what Elam will amount to in the NFL but still think we need to sign a veteran DB ASAP.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What does this mean

It means that 15 years ago the Buffalo Bills selected Donte Whitner and Leodis McKelvin and these two draft picks ended our run of glory and ruined the franchise for a decade.  Therefore, selecting first round defensive backs is always a terrible idea.  That is the average Bills fan's understanding of football. 

Don't draft first round OL. Remember Mike Williams?!?!

6 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

My pro's and con's of this pick, and some quite frankly fit into both categories

Pros:

- High upside potential

- Speed factor

Cons:

- Beane doesn't have great track record with most draft picks on the defensive side

- Does seem like Beane scrambled after KC made their move and this became a need pick vs BPA pick

In the end way too early to know what Elam will amount to in the NFL but still think we need to sign a veteran DB ASAP.

Bashing Edmunds is unique and tying it to Elam is an interesting new twist.  If we draft a punter in the 6th let’s see how you do blaming Edmunds for that one too.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Pros:

- High upside potential

- Speed factor

Cons:

If there's any position they know, it's CB.  They get the BOTD here.  As for scrambling, that's what the Chefs did and considering Elam was the last CB on their board with a 1st round grade, it made sense to trade up to ensure they got him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s a different league from 2001… and the Patriots also knew every play they were running.😅

That being said, I can’t hate a corner with the pick…. But the asset allocation of offense vs defense for this team is incredibly in favor of the defense… hopefully these next two rounds they help out Allen…

Im all for getting Allen more help too, just saying this notion that the defenses can’t stop elite QBs and offenses no matter what is just not accurate at all.  

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not if it meant missing out on Elam.

🤦‍♂️

And for God's sake, can somebody at OBD PLEASE tell Sal Capaccio how to pronounce this kid's name?? It's 'KAI-EAR  E-LUM'.  Sal has been butchering it non-stop since yesterday, calling him 'E-LOM' (as in llama) with emphasis on 'LOM'. During his Zoom presser last night, Elam was asked by a reporter how he pronounced his name so they could get it right going forward and he clearly explained that it was 'KAI-EAR  E-LUM'. Sal was on that Zoom and even asked him a question yet he's still pronouncing it like it's his first time hearing about this guy. You're the team's sideline reporter, Sal. Try harder...'Better Call (out) Sal'.

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

If there's any position they know, it's CB.  They get the BOTD here.  As for scrambling, that's what the Chefs did and considering Elam was the last CB on their board with a 1st round grade, it made sense to trade up to ensure they got him.

Elam was a great pick. There really was no other choice. The backfield was becoming dangerously exposed.

2 hours ago, simpleman said:

I was hoping for Hall with an early 2nd  round trade up, but Beane flinched, panicked, and made a goofy trade up in the 1st that wasted his trade ammo to be able to grab Hall in the early 2nd. Not upset with the player selection, or their potential in the 1st, just the knee jerk panicked move by Beane. 

It's really hard to know if Beane errored in that situation. Was there a real possibility that same other team may have tried to "jump" the Bills and get Elam? We just don't know that answer. With that said, I don't think you can say with conviction and fact that Beane panicked. For me its risk vs reward. I'm fine with giving up the 4th rounder if Elam was by far the BPA on their board. Added bonus is it filled the Bills biggest need! Its really a win win. 

Lastly, there is no guarantee the Bill could get Hall even if with theor 4th rounder in hand. Sure makes it easy but still lots of unknowns and other variables in play. I suspect if Beane really wants Hall he will be aggressive to try to get him. Its still not out of the question. 

Edited by newcam2012

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It's really hard to know if Beane errored in that situation. Was there a real possibility that same other team may have tried to "jump" the Bills and get Elam? We just don't k ow that answer. With that said, I don't think you can say with conviction and fact that Beane panicked. For me its risk vs reward. I'm fine with giving up the 4th rounder of Elam was by far the BPA on their board. Added bonus is it filled the Bills biggest need! Its really a win win. 

Lastly, there is no guarantee the Bill could get Hall even if with theor 4th rounder in hand. Sure makes it easy but still lots of unknowns and other variables in play. I suspect if Beane really wants Hall he will be aggressive to try to get him. Its still not out of the question. 

Again, the Bills' 2nd plus their 4th doesn't get them nearly close enough to get Hall.  Even their 2nd and 3rd.  All three...maybe, but that's 3 picks on a RB.

35 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

This GM has an excellent track record of drafting high-quality players in or around the 4th round.  That pick was a big deal if it meant missing out on the next Taron Johnson.  

Wouldn’t one think as a point of skill, and positional need, that a first round pick is a magnitude higher than a fourth round pick? This noise about a fourth round pick’s value being insinuated at a higher value than a first round pick / acquisition that filled a giant hole in our roster with a quality CB is preposterous, just stop already, be f ing happy we don’t have a giant hole in our starting line up anymore, context and priorities are important factors…, 

nuthin but love, 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Immediately after the draft-

- I was upset that they passed on 3 corners I had rated higher than him.  

- I didn’t understand why they drafted a corner that excels in press man.

- I didn’t understand why they drafted the worst tackling corner of the 3 available.  

- I HATED the fact that they traded our best trade up chip to move up several spots in rd 2-3 so we can move ahead of one team in rd 1…..while there were better corners available.  

Slept, woke up-  new rationale 

-  Elam has the measurable they covet and whether or not I had him as the best corner available, Elam was the last 1st rd talent available on their board.  McB > Me

- I’m happy that we drafted a corner than excels in man.  Levi had a solid season but his inability to run with the faster WRs limited our play calling and his lack of speed eventually led to our season ending.   I’ve been hoping that they would switch things up more often and play more man.  I think this will lead to exactly that.  He’s very good in coverage but susceptible to getting beat deep…. something that McDs defense are usually not susceptible to.  Our safeties will help him over the top. 

- still not a fan of his tackling, but he’s physically strong and our coaches will coach him up.  He’ll get better.  We have the proper support system for him.  

- still mad that they traded the pick because I don’t think Dallas would’ve taken him….. but they got their guy.  He was obviously their only guy or they wouldn’t have traded up for him.  I’m glad they got their guy.  Now he’s my guy too!

LETS GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

• Like (+1) 5

Elam was a necessary pick, especially if he was the only first round grade left on the Bills chart.   Either you trade up and get him, or you trade down and stockpile. 

The Bills have a lot of talent, not many rookies will make the team, and good talent will be exposed on the PS.   That is why Beane traded a 4th to get Elam.  Normally trading #130 to move from 25 to 23 is not ideal - but looking at the situation it was the right move. 

Elam and Tre will be a very good tandem.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.