RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I do think it is a legit question mark. That said of all the above the only one I liked was Duke and even he got taken way ahead of where he should have been. But that defense has had a habit of sending guys to the pros from the secondary who have struggled to adjust. None of them have had Sean McDermott and Leslie Frazier though. If Elam is a good kid and works hard and listens he can buck the trend. 

I’d think Beane and McD wanted to get extra comfortable with a UF guy after the mysterious Vosean Joseph saga.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

For all of the talking heads on here who just KNOW Elam was the wrong pick, I suggest you click the link and read the scouting report below. Thank you..... That is all.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tre'davious-white/32005748-4954-7699-8d1e-4952613e94ee

:rolleyes:

I love tre, but this team has had some issues with tackling RBs from DBs stepping up and supporting the run game.

Tre was a lot different prospect. He came back for his senior year and had much better coaching. Tre was a first team all American and all everything. Elam not even 2nd team all SEC.

• Disagree 1

I don't take any stock in draft grades, especially after one round and one day...but for those of you who do or for those who are complaining that the pick was awful, here are a couple 'national' takes:

1) Chad Reuter (nfl.com) - https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-draft-day-1-quick-snap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Grade: A

image.thumb.png.1466bb9b66706566df28260b4c369dcf.png

2) Ryan Gosling (profootballnetwork.com) - https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-grades-2022-analysis-and-grades-for-all-7-rounds-in-2022-nfl-draft/

Grade: A+

image.thumb.png.82183545194dd5d7e380b4ff8513dde5.png

• Like (+1) 4

Lots of teams only had about 15 or so 1st rd talents rated in this draft so the rumor goes...

I would say Beane and Company felt Elam was one of those talents and there probably wasn't many left on the Bills board, and that's probably why they moved up the 2 spots to ensure a 1st rd talent in a position of need.

22 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

He played in the bowl game too. Which for a draftable UF player was reassuring. Probably the historic all time low of UF this year.

I will root for Elam and hope I'm wrong. But I don't like the pick. I guess in Beane we trust. Elam is coming into a great environment.

We "hope" it does not mean anything.

Yeah anything could happen but I will give the staff benefit of the doubt when it comes to coaching up DBs. That is one position they have done well with. Think a lot of Elam’s issues can be corrected.

5 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I love tre, but this team has had some issues with tackling RBs from DBs stepping up and supporting the run game.

Tre was a lot different prospect. He came back for his senior year and had much better coaching. Tre was a first team all American and all everything. Elam not even 2nd team all SEC.

You mean Elam has tons of untapped potential because his coaching wasn't great?! Sign me up 😀

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Lots of teams only had about 15 or so 1st rd talents rated in this draft so the rumor goes...

I would say Beane and Company felt Elam was one of those talents and there probably wasn't many left on the Bills board, and that's probably why they moved up the 2 spots to ensure a 1st rd talent in a position of need.

I like the work Ledyard does with draft. He only had 10 players with 1st round grades. Had Elam listed 19th on his big board.

https://www.pewterreport.com/ledyards-final-2022-nfl-draft-top-100-big-board/

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

It's cliché as a Bills fan now but...I'm going to go ahead and trust McBeane on this...They needed a CB, and I think McD especially knows what DB's fit in their system. His record is pretty good here... Elam has traits and pedigree...It's a big need area. I think it's fine. My guess would be that we could have had him at #25. But that's a guess...So...GO BILLS...B-)

WARNING!!!!

This is entirely too sane a response to the selection. You need to demand that Beene and McDermott get their heads out of their butts and listen to your devastatingly accurate strategy based on your deep understanding of how football teams are staffed and the extensive scouting you have done on all division I college players.

If you fail to set your hair on fire, you are endangering your status as a card-carrying Bills fan. 

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Edited by Dr. K
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

According to Beane’s comments last night, he was the last player on their board with a first round grade and were considering trading down if he was not available, so you are right about what happened.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, junior said:

You mean Elam has tons of untapped potential because his coaching wasn't great?! Sign me up 😀

This and makes me like the pick even more.  He's long (:lol:), fast and played great in the SEC.  And that was without great coaching?  Sounds like another athletic freak we all know and love (except that Elam played well in the best conference in football).

Hey I actually had Elam in my combine drills standouts, took very brief notes on a few guys:

CBs - Cobie Durant and Roger McCreary looked good, Tariq Woollen can fly, Kyler Gordon looked slow in the drills 

Mcduffie apparently has really short arms for a db 

Elam looks smooth, guy named Flott too 

Josh Williams big guy looks decent

How do I submit my resume to the Bills for a scouting job?

As for the 4th rounder given up, please stop everyone.  Obviously the Ravens were shopping the pick...since they traded it to the Bills.  Then there were the Cowboys who didn't look happy when the Bills took Elam.  Do you risk losing a player at a position of need and who is the last remaining 1st rounder on your board (i.e. BPA) on the chance he might still be there 2 picks later?  No. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.