RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

You could tell the cowboys were planning to take him. Jerry looked  pissed and then they took the entire 15 minutes to make their pick 

Elams dad played for them.  I think he was on their radar.  Either was a 4th to know for sure?  Why not.  The can easily move the 6th and 5th to get into the 4th if needed.

My informal canvas of the pick lovers and pick haters on this board has the pick lovers by a fair margin over the pick haters.  

On to round 2.

Edited by wjag

8 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Leodis wasn't bright and came from a small school.  Leodis was a nice tackler who struggled learning coverages.

I see a more athletic Levi Wallace.

I don't see any Levi Wallace there other than they both have good eye discipline. Leodis was a good athlete who sometimes struggled with his transitions, that is the similarity I see. 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They didn’t want to lose him. In past drafts they waited and lost out on CBs.

I also believe safety is big possibility in the 2nd. 

heaven forbid THIS team lose out on CBs. I was thrilled when McDuffie got picked, hoping we wouldn't draft one.

4 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Elam should fit in nicely.  He has two relatives who played in the NFL so he knows the score.

My only concerns are that he missed three games last season because of a knee injury and that his play was a bit inconsistent.  

Why come out after a junior season like that?

Ask David Ojabo about that.

He worked hard and got himself a 1st round grade and staying in school only opens you up to more scrutiny and injury risk.

He was excellent before, but played through an injury that made him more inconsistent - we see that at the NFL level.  That is a positive trait - you speak to it and move forward.

The brass ring was there - he might go a bit higher next year or he get paid starting now and has potential to hit FA at 25 and perhaps get hooked into 2 big pay days before 30.

6 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Here are the last great 1st and 2nd round DBs from Florida...

CJ Henderson, Keanu Neal, Duke Dawson, Quincy Wilson, Teez Tabor...Vernon Hargreaves, oh and terrible Matt Elam.

all busts...

interesting. Any reason for that? 

by the way, I think joe Haden graduated from Florida.

8 hours ago, H2o said:

Tons of this in here 😂

Feelings Feels GIF by WE tv

You know how it goes……a couple names that they either heard about for months or some guy they fell in love with based off YouTube highlights……we somebody other than that player and now it’s “WTF are they doing????? They should’ve picked the guy that I love” 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This kid is an excellent pick.   He will start and only get better.   I'm excited

From what i hear he wants to learn. Im sure Tre will take him in under his wing and we will see a ton of growth this year. Excited! Would like to see them still add a Vet for depth as we are still a bit thin. Also can help with some competition.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Here are the last great 1st and 2nd round DBs from Florida...

CJ Henderson, Keanu Neal, Duke Dawson, Quincy Wilson, Teez Tabor...Vernon Hargreaves, oh and terrible Matt Elam.

all busts...

Talent is talent regardless of school. If we go by your logic we should never draft Alabama defensive backs, linebackers or pass rushers.

Be upset about the pick if you want but when it comes to drafting and signing DBs I will leave that to McDermott.  

Dane Jackson 

Tre white

Taron Johnson 

Neal

Levi wallace

Poyer

Hyde 

Etc

I'm sure a fair number of people didn't like those picks either but how did that turn out. 

Anybody still think they think super highly of Dane Jackson? I kid, I kid. He is good depth and he will push Elam as Beane mentioned in his presser. All that conjecture about the regime not spending on #2 corner and all that jazz was just wrong. All that stuff about not starting a corner and all that was inaccurate. 

Elam was my "I would settle for" pick in that other thread. I wanted McDuffie. I thought it was going to be Booth. It makes a lot of sense and I have felt since the jump that there were 4 top corners and the Bills would make sure that they got one of those guys. Where I was mistaken is that I had Booth in that top four rather than Elam. We can argue Booth till we are blue in the face, but he is still on the board and there must be a reason for that. When Beane says Elam was the last first round pick on the board, I believe him and sacrificing that late pick to move up to secure him is the right move. They got a guy in the first round with a first round grade. 

I am good with this. I think that he's a good piece of clay for the Bills to mold. The bottom line is that they got a lot better, the level of ability between Elam and Dane/Levi is extremely significant. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.