RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

42 minutes ago, Simon said:

Yeah, I haven't seen a a single analyst describe him as soft or unwilling.

Just that he's tackling technique has improved but still needs some work.

Sure doesn't look soft on his game replays either so that's good. They can get his form fixed. Beyond that he's got all the athletic traits and obviously had a successful visit with the team.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

As far as the defense goes, no matter who they add you are still going to see the opposing offenses/elite QBs have their way against defenses in the playoffs…. It’s why I’m in favor of stacking the offense and keeping Allen at his peak over stacking defense….. 

This is ridiculous and fact less.  

Ask KC about that.  Bucs D crushed them in the SB.  Bengals D bounced them a week after they dropped 42 on us this year.  

Ask the high scoring Cowboys and MVP led Packers about getting bounced by Niners Defense this year.

Ask the vaunted Rams offense that scored 3 points in the SB. 

Ask Denver, the highest scoring offense in NFL history about getting smashed by Seattles D in the SB 43-8

Ask the Patriots former highest scoring offense in the NFL about losing to the Giants D while only scoring 19 points.  

I mean I can keep going about this, and I’ve told you this before, but you keep saying this same fact less and baseless claim over and over again.  

Wasn’t true then, still not true now.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Adam727 said:

I don't like that this felt like a bit of a reach for a "need" pick, and not BPA.  You can't convince me Elam was BPA over Devon Lloyd, Linderbaum, & Jermaine Johnson.

I don't understand the need for a trade up.

But I'm not going to question Beane/McD when it comes to DBs, and if they were willing to trade up for him, this was clearly the player they wanted.  I'm excited we have a CB opposite White with good size, and the biggest hole on our team has been addressed. 

Not the player I was hoping we would get but I'm looking forward to seeing what Beane/McD can do with him.    

Maybe Beane can convince you.  Specifically when he said that Elam was the last player left on their board with a 1st round grade.

• Thank you (+1) 2

The Bills turned Tre White who has lesser traits into a top end CB. Wait until you see what they do with a guy that has elite traits and athletic profile. 

don’t be surprised if in a couple years Elam is the CB1 and Tre is CB1B. Two top end boundary CBs in a passing league. With a top end Nickel as well. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is such a terrible take.  

Except you have literally no idea if that is true at all.  You 100% just made that up.  You’ve decided in your mind they preferred McDuffie when you literally have no idea which CB they preferred.  

In fact the CB they were linked a lot more to was Booth who is still available.

I don’t know why people just make things up to sell an agenda.  

Not only that but is it just me or was McDuffie the only CB since Gardner was taken at #4 overall?

So wtf are they talking about "last choice of CB on our board"? 

The poster seems to just be angling towards riling fans up.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Yep.  And for those who are more worried about picks than players, tomorrow will likely bring more heartburn.  I see a trade up coming in round 2.  Hall or Moore is my guess.

It is was another round like say 5th they wouldn’t care. I bet most are all butt hurt because the 4th likely costs the chance for a Punter. 

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

I don’t understand the whole thing.  McD always says his CBs need to tackle and of the top CBs, Elam had a specific negative by Lance Zierlien of “weak run support”.  Booth, who was still available, was noted for great run support and tackling.  They could’ve just stayed at 25 and taken Booth.

Or maybe, just maybe, they feel like then can coach up the guy who they feel was the best fit and had the best upside.  Maybe they felt that since they have a great track record of coaching up guys drafted in the late rounds or undrafted, maybe they somehow feel that they can coach up his tackling.  Call me crazy.

Edited by BuffaloBob
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Governor said:

We likely had 4 CB’s on our board and traded up to secure the 4th ranked one. I don’t think anyone could say he was BPA. 

Beane’s job was to come home with a CB. He did that.  You’re throwing around phrases like “we got our guy” and that’s just silly.

What team do you scout for?  

Cuz you seem to know where Elam was graded, so let me know who you scout grades for.  

Thanks I’ll wait.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, MAJBobby said:

It is was another round like say 5th they wouldn’t care. I bet most are all butt hurt because the 4th likely costs the chance for a Punter. 

There will be some decent punters available in the 5th.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Trading up anytime is ok except to jump a team that has no need for the position you want why just throw the pick away? No reason to do it whatsoever

Obviously there was information out that someone was taking Elam before us . You think they just threw away a fourth for the Hell of it ?? You are seriously mistaken.  This is just like when we traded up for Dawson Knox, it seemed like he would be there but it was clear other teams were after him before we could pick him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Maybe Beane can convince you.  Specifically when he said that Elam was the last player left on their board with a 1st round grade.

I thinks it’s possible that he was the last player left out of the 2 or 3 positions of “need” that we were willing to draft in the 1st.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Edited by Governor

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The Bills turned Tre White who has lesser traits into a top end CB. Wait until you see what they do with a guy that has elite traits and athletic profile. 

don’t be surprised if in a couple years Elam is the CB1 and Tre is CB1B. Two top end boundary CBs in a passing league. With a top end Nickel as well. 

Would be awesome if we somehow come away with Andrew Booth in the second.

33 minutes ago, HerdMentality said:

I like the pick.

Interesting tho that Beane says he was the only 1st round rated pick left on the board when it’s pick #23…? Aren’t there 32 picks?

Did they only rate 20 players as 1st round talents? And based on what year’s class? 2015?

You grade players. There was 21 first round grades on My Board. So sounds like Bills were probably a bit lower than me. 

so essentially my board 22 on should have been trading out or they technically are “reaching” based on my board. 

Elam was a 1st round grade for me as well. But so wasn’t Booth with a medical flag though. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Obviously there was information out that someone was taking Elam before us . You think they just threw away a fourth for the Hell of it ?? You are seriously mistaken.  This is just like when we traded up for Dawson Knox, it seemed like he would be there but it was clear other teams were after him before we could pick him.

I am not into conspiracy stuff that is not proven.....but my gut tells me it was Dallas

• Agree 1

Just now, Governor said:

I thinks it’s possible that he was the last player left out of the 2 or 3 positions of “need” that we were willing to draft in the 1st.

Beane never specified "at a position of need."  And the only other positions of need was arguably RB and a 1st round RB is a bad investment, while Hall fell out of the 1st round entirely.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Absolutely not to Pickens. Major character concerns and coming off an injury year.

Watson's hands and small school competition concerns me. The speed is tantalizing. But he'll be facing off against much much better CBs than he's seen up to this point. I don't like receivers that aren't natural pass catchers and it's only going to get harder for him.

Nah I'm good taking their one remaining player with a 1st round grade. Von Miller and Kaiir Elam immediately solve the two biggest problems the Bills had in the playoffs last year. Offensive depth will still be there.

The biggest problem the Bills had in the playoffs was playing on the road..........they are 0-4 on the road in the playoffs under McDermott and 3-0 at home.

And they were on the road at no fault of their defense.........it was as a result of their season-long struggles on the OL and a lack of YAC talent during the regular season.

They had the #1 defense in the NFL and got beaten on the road in the only playoff game in NFL history where two teams that had scored 40 the week before met up.

It was a unique situation.

Whether they've done enough on offense to improve their regular season performance on offense is up for debate.........knowing full well that Josh Allen isn't going to be running 10-15 times per game in September/October/November like he did down the stretch when they got desperate last season.    

I agree that pass rush was a huge need and Von Miller can tangibly make a difference.   Mahomes was just LETHAL in that game scrambling and buying time.

Can Kaiir Elam do anything about what happened in the Chiefs game?   Probably not.   He'd have been in the same spots in "13 seconds".    And no he isn't catching Tyreek Hill in a foot race.

The lack of pass rush made it impossible for anyone to do their job........much as it had the year before when All Pro Tre White looked totally overmatched in the AFCCG.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.