RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

6 minutes ago, HerdMentality said:

I like the pick.

Interesting tho that Beane says he was the only 1st round rated pick left on the board when it’s pick #23…? Aren’t there 32 picks?

Did they only rate 20 players as 1st round talents? And based on what year’s class? 2015?

No teams ever have 32 first round grades.

The best draft Beane has ever seen had close to 25 according to Sal.

This year it sounded like they had about 15-20 1st round grades.

The hope is at least 1 will be available when you pick.  It sounds like Elam was their last one.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Epenesa and Ford were probably loved too and they are busts. 

I'm moving on. I've been on record they need to be all in this year. They got a desperately needed CB. Hell if Beane drafted another DB tomorrow I'd be fine with that too. 

I had to chime in because we agree on something! I could see S and CB drafted still.

McBeane tend to try to fix units at a time. They scrapped a lot of dead weight on DL in FA, and I would not be surprised at all to see a big youth injection at DB this draft.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

PPS:  Whining about a 4th round pick is even sillier.  We got the guy they wanted, thats all that matters.  And Beane knows more about evaluating football players than this whole forum combined.  

Preach...

Tomorrow I’m just here for the meltdown after Beane trades up in round 2. 🤷🏾‍♂️

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

yet Siran Neal, Taran Johnson, Jaquon Johnson, Dane Jackson and Rachad Wildgoose are why the Bills just traded up in a reach for this kid in the 1st.....

You named a bunch of late round picks most of whom are contributors. Taron was a 5th and is one of the better slot corners in the league. Levi was undrafted and while not a stud developed into a solid NFL player…. Hence why people trust MCDermott. Then of course is the question of how a projected 1st rounder / very early second rounder is considered a reach? He landed right around where the projections had him. Is he a reach because you in your other job as an NFL scout had him later due to your intensive research?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This thread gets funnier by the minute.  Reminds me of the "Wrong Josh" melt downs.  Reminds me of the "Tre White" melt downs.  Reminds me of TSW really...lmao.

This pick is a great pick, love it and exactly what we needed.  

PS:  Offense Averaged 41.5 points per game in the playoffs.  Defense gave up 42 to send us home including 3 scores in final 3 minutes of the game.  

PPS:  Whining about a 4th round pick is even sillier.  We got the guy they wanted, thats all that matters.  And Beane knows more about evaluating football players than this whole forum combined.  

Great job Beane, can't wait until tomorrow.  

Well, we got the last Option at CB on our board after McDuffie was snagged away from us. No one can say it was the guy “we wanted.” He was the guy “we needed”’ since the others were gone. We made the pick based strictly on need as opposed to BPA. 

There’s really no reason to make excuses about any of it. KC sneakily clowned us with the help of NE. It happens. We’re the hunted now and didn’t see it coming.

We’ll have the last laugh.

Edited by Governor
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

no matter who they add you are still going to see the opposing offenses/elite QBs have their way against defenses in the playoffs

Replace Hughes or Addison with Von Miller last year and I think we win that Chiefs game. Replace Dane Jackson with Kaiir Elam and we might win the Bucs game. It's ridiculous to say our defense can't have possibly played any better last year.

And does adding George Pickens somehow help us overcome a loss where we put up 36 points? You've just gotten it in your head that it was offense or bust in the 1st round and as a result you can't evaluate the pick fairly.

• Agree 3

Just now, Governor said:

Well, we got the last Choice of CB on our board after McDuffie was snagged away from us. No one can say it was the guy “we wanted.” He was the guy “we needed”’ since the others were gone. We made the pick based strictly on need as opposed to BPA. 

There’s really no reason to make excuses about any of it. KC sneakily clowned us with the help of NE. It happens. We’re the hunted now and didn’t see it coming.

We don't know that for sure though really, and we probably never will.  Beane said Elam was the last guy left that they had a 1st round grade on, but we don't know if he had McDuffie higher on the big board.  I think it's possible that they had size concerns about him. 

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Governor said:

The Titans replaced Brown with a younger, likely better version of Brown with identical size that won’t cost 100 million bucks.

That was the pick/trade of the night!

Looks like numerous teams went in with a similar strategy.

The eagles had no problem taking his contract so the reverse was done as well

3 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

You named a bunch of late round picks most of whom are contributors. Taron was a 5th and is one of the better slot corners in the league. Levi was undrafted and while not a stud developed into a solid NFL player…. Hence why people trust MCDermott. Then of course is the question of how a projected 1st rounder / very early second rounder is considered a reach? He landed right around where the projections had him. Is he a reach because you in your other job as an NFL scout had him later due to your intensive research?

Taron was a 4th.  I agree with everything else here though.

Just now, Governor said:

Well, we got the last Choice of CB on our board after McDuffie was snagged away from us. No one can say it was the guy “we wanted.” He was the guy “we needed”’ since the others were gone. We made the pick based strictly on need as opposed to BPA. 

This is such a terrible take.  

Except you have literally no idea if that is true at all.  You 100% just made that up.  You’ve decided in your mind they preferred McDuffie when you literally have no idea which CB they preferred.  

In fact the CB they were linked a lot more to was Booth who is still available.

I don’t know why people just make things up to sell an agenda.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is such a terrible take.  

Except you have literally no idea if that is true at all.  You 100% just made that up.  You’ve decided in your mind they preferred McDuffie when you literally have no idea which CB they preferred.  

In fact the CB they were linked a lot more to was Booth who is still available.

I don’t know why people just make things up to sell an agenda.  

We likely had 4 CB’s on our board and traded up to secure the 4th ranked one. I don’t think anyone could say he was BPA. 

Beane’s job was to come home with a CB. He did that.  You’re throwing around phrases like “we got our guy” and that’s just silly.

Edited by Governor
  • Eyeroll 5

14 minutes ago, Governor said:

Well, we got the last Option at CB on our board after McDuffie was snagged away from us. No one can say it was the guy “we wanted.” He was the guy “we needed”’ since the others were gone. We made the pick based strictly on need as opposed to BPA. 

If Beane said he was the last guy with a 1st round grade left on their board...it obviously means he was BPA.  How is this difficult to grasp?

As for whether he had McDuffie higher, that's conjecture on your part.  The knock on McDuffie was his sub-30" arms and thus his projection to nickel CB.  So I would surmise the Bills had Elam rated higher.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I don’t understand the whole thing.  McD always says his CBs need to tackle and of the top CBs, Elam had a specific negative by Lance Zierlien of “weak run support”.  Booth, who was still available, was noted for great run support and tackling.  They could’ve just stayed at 25 and taken Booth.

I don't like that this felt like a bit of a reach for a "need" pick, and not BPA.  You can't convince me Elam was BPA over Devon Lloyd, Linderbaum, & Jermaine Johnson.

I don't understand the need for a trade up.

But I'm not going to question Beane/McD when it comes to DBs, and if they were willing to trade up for him, this was clearly the player they wanted.  I'm excited we have a CB opposite White with good size, and the biggest hole on our team has been addressed. 

Not the player I was hoping we would get but I'm looking forward to seeing what Beane/McD can do with him.    

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.