RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

Even Beane couldn’t fool anyone into thinking Corner was not a need for us. 

I am going on record as really loving this  pick.. Truthfully, I don’t want to be called out on His Draft Angry Tweets Four Years from now. 

Sounds like he is most comfortable in a Zone D, I am not too  concerned about the tackling issue with this staff. 

Now can we find a gem in round 2? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

I don't really think there was a clear problem. They were very good, one of the best in the league.  I don't know why you're asking me that though.  If you think there was a problem, by all means enlighten me.

They are the most quarterback centric team Greg Cosell has ever seen as in if Josh Allen isn’t Superman they don’t win games 

9 minutes ago, Simon said:

He may need to improve the muscle memory on his technique, but there is no little ***** in this kid.

He tackles like a little kid. Soft.  Coaches will coach him up.  Hopefully he has the mentality that allows him to adapt and adjust 

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

What the Cowboys took the Tulsa offensive tackle when if they wanted corner could have taken Dax Hill whose every bit as good as Elam 

Enough about Dallas already. You act as if Dallas was the only concern because they were IN FRONT of the Bills and that there weren’t teams BEHIND the Bills on the phone with the Ravens inquiring about pick 23. I’d bet any amount of money that there were and that Beane had been in touch with the Ravens and other teams picking in the low twenties for days leading up to the draft. I’d also bet money that KC moving up to get a CB had the Ravens’ phone ringing off the hook immediately afterward tonight. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

You realize that Green Bay let Adams go, KC let Hill go, TENN let AJ Brown go, Seattle let Wilson go etc etc, yet some on this board are apoplectic about Buffalo giving up a 4th 🤣🤣🤣

BUF wanted a 6'1" 200 CB with 4.39 speed. He has given up a paltry 45.5% completion %, and a 55 QB rating against.

Both are top 4 stats for all CBs in all of FBS football since 2019.

If McDermott and Frazier can make Dane Jackson and Levi Wallace legitimate DBs, what is he going to do with a guy like this?

CB was clearly the position of need. Don't be surprised to see another CB and even a S. The secondary has largely been neglected in the draft since White.

The Titans replaced Brown with a younger, likely better version of Brown with identical size that won’t cost 100 million bucks.

That was the pick/trade of the night!

Looks like numerous teams went in with a similar strategy.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

He tackles like a little kid. Soft.  Coaches will coach him up.  Hopefully he has the mentality that allows him to adapt and adjust 

I've yet to see a single piece of film of him playing soft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think if you look across the league(especially after tonight) the depth at wide out is considerable better everywhere…. Just about every team has two solid starting receivers…. And the better ones have at least 3…. It’s pushed the Bills down the league at the position IMO.

Teams are absolutely loading up at the position and for good reason…. Would love to see the Bills take this approach. Let’s see tomorrow. 

Then we better have some good CBs to slow them down, right?

I'm sure WR will be a position we go after in the coming days. 

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

"Beane doesn't value CB2 and won't send a 1st"

"The plan is still to sign a veteran CB, we may not even draft one"

😆

Honestly I won't be at all surprised if they sign a vet CB and/or double down in the draft for a DB (versatile safety perhaps).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

You realize that Green Bay let Adams go, KC let Hill go, TENN let AJ Brown go, Seattle let Wilson go etc etc, yet some on this board are apoplectic about Buffalo giving up a 4th 🤣🤣🤣

BUF wanted a 6'1" 200 CB with 4.39 speed. He has given up a paltry 45.5% completion %, and a 55 QB rating against.

Both are top 4 stats for all CBs in all of FBS football since 2019.

If McDermott and Frazier can make Dane Jackson and Levi Wallace legitimate DBs, what is he going to do with a guy like this?

CB was clearly the position of need. Don't be surprised to see another CB and even a S. The secondary has largely been neglected in the draft since White.

Agree 100%.  I wouldn't be surprised if they find a replacement for Poyer or Hyde in the 3rd or 5th round.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Or...the only CB they wanted in the first round was Elam.    Dax Hill is a safety that could play slot corner...but is not the same as a starting outside CB.  Perhaps they took the tackle because the CB they wanted was off the board.

It did seem like Jerry Jones was quiet and didn't look happy when the bills pick came in, especially he's usually all smiles and high fives. But we will probably never know what conversations went down. All I know is ill sleep well knowing cb2 is addressed.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Governor said:

The Titans replaced Brown with a younger, likely better version of Brown with identical size that won’t cost 100 million bucks.

That was the pick/trade of the night!

Looks like numerous teams went in with a similar strategy.

Likely?  Yeah, that's a "needs to be proven first."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I've yet to see a single piece of film of him playing soft.

I actually dont see soft.....I see someone that will fight you for it....perhaps a little too much but would much rather have a dog like him

His tackling techique is what bothers me a little....but that is coachable

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

Honestly I won't be at all surprised if they sign a vet CB and/or double down in the draft for a DB (versatile safety perhaps).

I am expecting it....and I dont think that should be some kind of knock on Elam

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

They are the most quarterback centric team Greg Cosell has ever seen as in if Josh Allen isn’t Superman they don’t win games 

Okay. So I'm going to ask you again, who was available at 23 or 25 that would contribute to alleviate that?  Last time I asked you, you gave me a linebacker, which wouldn't do anything to answer the problem that you're putting out there.

You seem upset with the Elam pick, mainly because you think the offense needs shoring up, right?  Well I'm saying that there's nobody left in that first round that makes sense to take for our offense.  So you're left with trading down, or filling that clear need at CB with a guy with incredible tools, something that Beane loves. 

I'm just trying to understand why you're upset. It just seems irrational.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I actually dont see soft.....I see someone that will fight you for it....perhaps a little too much but would much rather have a dog like him

His tackling techique is what bothers me a little....but that is coachable

I see no softness. Some bad technique though

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Wouldn't surprise me either. My stance is that none of these guys left over are someone you count on as anything more than spot duty at this point. I was referring to fans who were saying we just sign Joe Haden or Xavier Rhodes and we were good to go without having to Draft anyone.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.