RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It’s pretty obvious Devin Lloyd should be a Buffalo bill now. Elam was a reach at 23 and a waste of an asset to trade up for him 

I don't see how that's obvious at all. Why would the Bills draft a LB to sit all year when there's a big, gaping hole at CB. You don't have to agree with the Bills but it's clear they like Edmunds.

You were also talking this whole time about how the Bills are doing Allen dirty, so I don't see how drafting a LB supports what you were saying previously.

• Like (+1) 2

I haven’t read through all these posts, but I’d just add - 

we won’t ever know if Beane liked McDuffie better than Elam or not, but we do know the Chiefs did.  Will be a fun item to monitor  in the coming seasons.

I am inclined to think the Bills were a team KC thought they had to get in front of for McDuffie.  I think KC had a good idea that NE at 21 would be a spot they could get to if it came down to it because they are a team that is typically inclined  to trade back and that they also would be a trade partner who would not want to make a deal with a division rival. 

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You also thought Dwayne Haskins(RIP) was going to be better than Josh Allen.

Elam is a nice prospect but that take certainly warrants an "IMO" attached.

One of my pet peeves is someone using "IMO".  Of course it's your opinion.  You're the one who typed it.  That's the only time I'll ever type that again and the acronym should be banned IMHO.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Or you could say he gave away a fourth round pick for a player that is no more likely to be star as the next 5 CBs to be drafted

At the end of the day, he filled a huge need.  

I could say that about any trade/different pick in ANY draft. This isn't about who we think is "more likely" to be a star. It's about what the Bills FO thinks. And if they think Elam is worth giving up a 4th for, then who am I to argue?  Then I become a second guesser now and/or Captain Hindsight.

From what I hear the Bills loved him and he was really their only Rd 1 graded player left. If they think that highly of him I'm sold.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

What the Cowboys took the Tulsa offensive tackle when if they wanted corner could have taken Dax Hill whose every bit as good as Elam 

Or...the only CB they wanted in the first round was Elam.    Dax Hill is a safety that could play slot corner...but is not the same as a starting outside CB.  Perhaps they took the tackle because the CB they wanted was off the board.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Beane is using the Aaron Rogers Green Bay model with Josh not so sure it’s the best idea. If they don’t win a Super Bowl in the next 3 years it wasn’t but if they do it was. 

I am confused by this

Beane did the exact OPPOSITE of the Aaron Rogers Green Bay model.

Green Bay traded away Rogers number one option

Buffalo signed Josh Allen's number one option to a huge extension

They also have Davis and Crowder (the jets pretty much only offensive weapon last year) at the WR positions.....this is the Buffalo big 3.  I am not even counting McKenzie because he is more of a gadget player.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Bruffalo said:

I don't see how that's obvious at all. Why would the Bills draft a LB to sit all year when there's a big, gaping hole at CB. You don't have to agree with the Bills but it's clear they like Edmunds.

You were also talking this whole time about how the Bills are doing Allen dirty, so I don't see how drafting a LB supports what you were saying previously.

What was the problem with the Bills offense last year? 

1 hour ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

For people saying they don’t mind trading a 4th…..what? Why just give away any pick? You could have used that 4th to move up in the second round, there was no way that Dallas was going corner. Bean just got nervous and ***** up. I like Elam but that just made zero sense

You realize that Green Bay let Adams go, KC let Hill go, TENN let AJ Brown go, Seattle let Wilson go etc etc, yet some on this board are apoplectic about Buffalo giving up a 4th 🤣🤣🤣

BUF wanted a 6'1" 200 CB with 4.39 speed. He has given up a paltry 45.5% completion %, and a 55 QB rating against.

Both are top 4 stats for all CBs in all of FBS football since 2019.

If McDermott and Frazier can make Dane Jackson and Levi Wallace legitimate DBs, what is he going to do with a guy like this?

CB was clearly the position of need. Don't be surprised to see another CB and even a S. The secondary has largely been neglected in the draft since White.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

We had a HUGE need for speed, both at CB and playmakers.  2nd rounder will be a speed guy on offense.

Yep.  And for those who are more worried about picks than players, tomorrow will likely bring more heartburn.  I see a trade up coming in round 2.  Hall or Moore is my guess.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I am confused by this

They also have Davis and Crowder (the jets pretty much only offensive weapon last year) at the WR positions.....this is the Buffalo big 3.  I am not even counting McKenzie because he is more of a gadget player.

I’m not 

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

One of my pet peeves is someone using "IMO".  Of course it's my opinion.  I'm the one who typed it.  That's the only time I'll ever type that again and the acronym should be banned IMHO.

Humility is best expressed, and not assumed. IMO, of course.

And you really don't need to keep your peeves as pets.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

What was the problem with the Bills offense last year? 

I don't really think there was a clear problem. They were very good, one of the best in the league.  I don't know why you're asking me that though.  If you think there was a problem, by all means enlighten me.

13 minutes ago, Simon said:

I was being a smartass, but I would guess that a 4th rounder at that camp may well be fighting for a practice squad spot this year.

Last year, maybe.  

This year........more reserve roles up for grabs.

Need backups with some actual replacement potential for pending UFA's Edmunds, Knox, Poyer, Singletary and Saffold.

Absolutely need an upgrade from Jake Kumerow at WR3(outside) and Stevenson should have more competition.  

Ques would seem like the only roster lock reserve OL........and they will carry 4 of them.........Tommy Doyle could stand to have some competition.   

And of course, a punter.

More spots than picks.........and cap space is only going to get tighter so the more young players they can plug in the this season the better off they will be the following 2.  

1 minute ago, RocCityRoller said:

You realize that Green Bay let Adams go, KC let Hill go, TENN let AJ Brown go, Seattle let Wilson go etc etc, yet some on this board are apoplectic about Buffalo giving up a 4th 🤣🤣🤣

BUF wanted a 6'1" 200 CB with 4.39 speed. He has given up a paltry 45.5% completion %, and a 55 QB rating against.

Both are top 4 stats for all CBs in all of FBS football since 2019.

If McDermott and Frazier can make Dane Jackson and Levi Wallace legitimate DBs, what is he going to do with a guy like this?

CB was clearly the position of need. Don't be surprised to see another CB and even a S. The secondary has largely been neglected in the draft since White.

I'm not too worried about it but the only two 4th picks Beane has made was Taron Johnson and Gabe Davis to make everyone feel better. :) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I am confused by this

With the top-4 WR spots set, I didn't see who a rookie at 25 (or even 23) was going to replace.  And the draft is deeper at WR than CB. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.