RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Also, did you see the house of packed people when he was on the phone with the Bills? When they announced the pick and he donned the team lid, the place erupted. Everyone jumping up and down and hugging in sheer joy. That's half the fun of the draft for me...watching these young men and their families experience a phenomenal life-altering event they'll remember and share forever.

haha awesome NO I didn't I was typing and reading here but I will. I have 3 networks coverage taped on my DVR 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

Glad to see the Bills went for need and BPA (corroborated by Beane) with their 1st round pick, and I trust them when it comes to CBs.  I liked Elam's size and speed among the CB prospects, as it is what has been lacking in the secondary.  I didn't know he allowed the 2nd lowest QB rating in FBS the past 3 seasons and that's a pleasant surprise.  He also seems to want to work to get better immediately.  You can't teach those things, and they should be able to make him better.

As for the trade up, don't be so sure that Beane didn't know that Dallas, or another team, wasn't looking to trade into the 23rd or 24th spot for him.  But even still, who cares?  It's a 4th rounder.  The Chefs traded more for a slot-at-best CB.  If there's someone they desperately want in the 4th, trade next year's 3rd by all means. 

Just now, BillsEnthusiast said:

Did you see that one Texans pick? Dude looked like he just found out his dog got run over by a truck lmao

Stingley? My first thought when they showed him was, "How many Bills fans are going to say, 'He didn't smile...he's Stephon Gilmore 2.0'..."

Since when do 4th round picks not make the roster? It’s a lot to give up for a player like Elam who will need time to develop. I can’t imagine he starts this season. Right now he looks like a walking PI in the pros. Grabs, holds, guesses. Nevermind his tackling issues.  Fills a need and he was likely one of their last first round grades. Not a bad pick but the critiques of the player and trade are valid.

• Eyeroll 2

13 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

My mistake he’s using the Carolina Panthers model with Can Newton 

Ah yeah, the great Can Newton.

You know they went to a superbowl right? You could do a lot worse than that run of years Carolina had when he was at his peak. That's really not the insult you're trying to make it out to be. Allen has a much better throwing motion too so the window is just going to be open longer. 

Full disclosure, I wanted a WR too, but I don't want them to reach for one.  There was no WR left on that board that had a 1st round consensus.  It's just a fact.  The IOL was gone. Going RB is just bad business. CB2 is a logical and good place for them to invest in, and now we have a cost controlled asset opposite White for the next five years.

I really don't understand your logic here. Who was on the board that was the obvious pick over Elam, or even CB?

Edited by Bruffalo
Brain farts.

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

Why did they trade a 4th round pick for 2 spots to pick Elam?...

I think he definitely would have been there at 25

Key word is think.   No reason to risk losing their guy  over a 4th round pick that will have a hard time making this roster.  

Forget the picks and focus on how the player fits the scheme/culture.  If you’re tied to keeping every pick I have feeling  you won’t be happy tomorrow either. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, muppy said:

haha awesome NO I didn't I was typing and reading here but I will. I have 3 networks coverage taped on my DVR 🙂

I also DVR'd all three networks when they were on the clock but haven't watched them back yet. I saw his presser on the Bills FaceBook Live feed.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.