RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

So the people who said to take corner with our first pick, please stand up. Salute to y'all. It's a great move. I predicted this too and got attacked here for that from some idiot who wanted WR with our first pick.

We get the last laugh. Defense is a need; a big one. We can always take WR/RB later in the draft even though we traded away our 4th round pick.

Remember 13 seconds?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

C'mon now.

It's unusual for a 4th rounder to not make a roster.......ANY roster......it's a valuable pick.

See Gabe Davis and Taron Johnson.......only 4th round picks they've made under Beane.

It doesn't make the draft a disaster but in the decade of drafts prior to this one....... the Bills have traded away A LOT of their 4th round picks..........but when they used them more often than not they drafted starters like Gabe and Taron and Nigel Bradham and D'Norris (the finkasaurus) Searcy.   Plus that LSU corner Ron Brooks,  who was quite a good player for them.

Right?! Beane can't be trusted to use a 4th round pick to move up because BEANE makes great 4th round draft picks. 

YOU DRAFT STARTERS in the first 2 rounds. Hitting on a pick in the 4th who comes in and is an immediate contributor in a SB window is such a small chance statistically. Who is the 4th rounder displacing? We moved up to secure a presumed CB2 and solidified the secondary. Our 4th rounder is LATE, I cannot believe the complete mental breakdowns here by grown men over a 4th rounder. You want to recoup a 4th rounder, trade a 6th and Cody Ford. Some of you need to settle down. I have complete faith in McDermott's ability to turn this kid into a stud. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Mel also nailed the Josh Allen pick in 2018...when nearly everyone was saying that Josh Rosen was the better prospect. 

If some think the complaining about this pick and giving up a 4th is bad. Go back and look at that 2018 Josh Allen thread. The bleating was biblical. 

To be fair though, missing on a fairly late 1st round DB isn't as catastrophic as missing on a top 10 QB for the fate of a franchise

9 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I know what you're trying to say, but re-read that sentence and tell me it makes sense.

Beane used the 2020 first round pick to get Diggs, so you're objectively wrong about that. Green Bay hasn't hit really on any WR draft picks, we have with Davis. We've signed decent FA depth historically as well, while Green Bay has certainly had more trouble than this.

It sounds like to me that you're having a tantrum instead of thinking about this logically.

My mistake he’s using the Carolina Panthers model with Can Newton 

Based on his interviews he probably couldn't of made him more attractive to McBeane if started yelling "Process" when he walked in the door.

He sounds like a guy who has a bit of tweaking needed but a ton of raw attributes and a good head on his shoulders. While the trade up might of been a tad drastic; I'll take getting the guy I want over getting conservative and missing out. The likelihood of pick 25 + our 4th being more valuable to this team than Elam is rather slim.

For all we know someone tried to trade up with Baltimore with a 26 or 27 and their 5th and the Bills merely upped it enough to win.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, muppy said:

let me put a PS:

If MY kid were drafted in the first round by ANY team I doubt my first or even 2nd reaction would be regret over for he not playing for my ex team.

Dad is surely going to be outfitted in BILLS colors and it will be with total pleasure and pride very very soon!~!~!!!!!

Also, did you see the house of packed people when he was on the phone with the Bills? When they announced the pick and he donned the team lid, the place erupted. Everyone jumping up and down and hugging in sheer joy. That's half the fun of the draft for me...watching these young men and their families experience a phenomenal life-altering event they'll remember and share forever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Really intrigued by this pick. He adds an element the defense didn’t have. He can press big receivers or TE’s at the line and cover speedy receivers.

Im hoping we may see some changes to the defensive philosophy to take advantage of Elam’s excellent press man abilities.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Iverwig said:

Wow! I figured the Bills would draft a CB but surprised they traded up for one. Dallas wasn’t taking a CB but maybe Beane got word of another team trading up. 

Not just that The cowboys were the team that screwed us last year…they took Diggs right from under us…Beane wasn’t letting that happen to us again. He showed the world that Elam was high in his board tonight 

• Dislike 1

Just now, ExWNYer said:

Also, did you see the house of packed people when he was on the phone with the Bills? When they announced the pick and he donned the team lid, the place erupted. Everyone jumping up and down and hugging in sheer joy. That's half the fun of the draft for me...watching these young men and their families experience a phenomenal life-altering event they'll remember and share forever.

Did you see that one Texans pick? Dude looked like he just found out his dog got run over by a truck lmao

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.