RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

5 minutes ago, muppy said:

This was News to me and a VERY interesting bit of info. That clarifies things for  me greatly. Beane had this info as well I am certain it factored into his move up decision. I hope Elam isn't too disappointed to not be playing for his dads ex team

He was pumped and very excited during his Zoom presser. Said he felt a special connection on his pre-draft visit to Buffalo. Also said he wasn't the first defensive player taken so that is extra motivation for him. Seems like a very levelheaded kid. Beane said Kaiir's personality reminded them of Tre.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I think you don’t know ***** and I’ll stand by that. It’s just conjecture from you, you really don’t know no matter what you post, others could have been trying to trade with Baltimore also, but in reality you don’t know anything for sure. We got a great player at a position of need but keep crying 👍

If you've been on this board for more than a day, you should know to have @Mr. WEO. He's a board troll and consistently wrong then when you post one of his hilariously bad takes at him.. he disappears. 

• Like (+1) 3

I think the Titans could’ve been the third team vying for one of the two cornerbacks. Would explain the Chiefs move, and the Titans’ subsequent trade back following the Bills pick. The Titans have two 4th round picks, neither better than the Bills though.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Beane is using the Green Bay that they use with Aaron Rogers 

I know what you're trying to say, but re-read that sentence and tell me it makes sense.

Beane used the 2020 first round pick to get Diggs, so you're objectively wrong about that. Green Bay hasn't hit really on any WR draft picks, we have with Davis. We've signed decent FA depth historically as well, while Green Bay has certainly had more trouble than this.

It sounds like to me that you're having a tantrum instead of thinking about this logically.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Still makes zero sense to throw away a pick no matter how you try to rationalize it 

I question the move down for a 4th. But why do you say he "threw it away?  You KNOW 100% there is no team that was looking to draft ahead of the Bills with CB needs?  I'm guessing if teams were making calls, Beane knew it. 

So instead of saying "he threw it away", you might instead say "he used it to procure the one guy left on whom they had a first round grade". It may not have been necessary, but you can't know that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Completely okay with the trade.  We don’t know what Dallas was doing or who they were hearing from.  And I wouldn’t trust anything Jerry says anyway. 

Even if we were reasonably confident we could get him at 25, why risk it?   Control what you can control. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I disagree, every rule benefits the offense in the NFL. I’ll still load up on nukes that can’t be stopped over unproven missile defense systems. This feels like a pick that Dick Jauron, Lovie Smith or the ***** Bears FO makes.

So unproven Nukes vs unproven Missile defense systems. That is what the analogy comes too. 

end of day need a competent Launch Authority and we are Elite there. (JA17)

2 minutes ago, Malazan said:

If you've been on this board for more than a day, you should know to have @Mr. WEO. He's a board troll and consistently wrong then when you post one of his hilariously bad takes at him.. he disappears. 

5 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I think you don’t know ***** and I’ll stand by that. It’s just conjecture from you, you really don’t know no matter what you post, others could have been trying to trade with Baltimore also, but in reality you don’t know anything for sure. We got a great player at a position of need but keep crying 👍

Y'all need to keep the personal nonsense out of this thread.

People are coming in here to learn about our new corner, not to read that clutter.

8 minutes ago, Simon said:

Cuz they gave up a guy that had about a 25% chance of even making this team?

C'mon now.

It's unusual for a 4th rounder to not make a roster.......ANY roster......it's a valuable pick.

See Gabe Davis and Taron Johnson.......only 4th round picks they've made under Beane.

It doesn't make the draft a disaster but in the decade of drafts prior to this one....... the Bills have traded away A LOT of their 4th round picks..........but when they used them more often than not they drafted starters like Gabe and Taron and Nigel Bradham and D'Norris (the finkasaurus) Searcy.   Plus that LSU corner Ron Brooks,  who was quite a good player for them.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Do you want me to go over this again? They have a starting guard on a 1 year contract…they have a starting receiver on a 1 year contract…they have no rb under contract after this year…they have no TE under contract after this year…🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Well it is a good thing those players are all under contract right. And that the NFL doesn’t say you cannot add players ever again so once contracts expire you cannot backfill. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Mel Kiper nailed our pick. 

Mel also nailed the Josh Allen pick in 2018...when nearly everyone was saying that Josh Rosen was the better prospect. 

If some think the complaining about this pick and giving up a 4th is bad. Go back and look at that 2018 Josh Allen thread. The bleating was biblical. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

He was pumped and very excited during his Zoom presser. Said he felt a special connection on his pre-draft visit to Buffalo. Also said he wasn't the first defensive player taken so that is extra motivation for him. Seems like a very levelheaded kid. Beane said Kaiir's personality reminded them of Tre.

let me put a PS:

If MY kid were drafted in the first round by ANY team I doubt my first or even 2nd reaction would be regret over for he not playing for my ex team.

Dad is surely going to be outfitted in BILLS colors and it will be with total pleasure and pride very very soon!~!~!!!!!

and Kaiir too, what an honor, he gets it. GO BILLS

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

Sanity prevails. Excellent speed too. I read that he needs a little coaching up, but he's coming to DB University. Elite athletic skills. Now OL and RB and a WR on day, I hope. I predict we draft a punter on day 3. We also need a Sam LB, but that's not urgent.

I was expecting Booth, but I trust OBD on this pick.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

C'mon now.

It's unusual for a 4th rounder to not make a roster.......ANY roster......it's a valuable pick.

I was being a smartass, but I would guess that a 4th rounder at that camp may well be fighting for a practice squad spot this year.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ecmic82 said:

I think the Titans could’ve been the third team vying for one of the two cornerbacks. Would explain the Chiefs move, and the Titans’ subsequent trade back following the Bills pick. The Titans have two 4th round picks, neither better than the Bills though.

Good take. Some people here are only focused on Dallas as the team we jumped in front of, but that’s myopic at best. These GMs aren’t shy about telling each other who’s calling who with what offers. Beane may or may not have been concerned with Dallas, but there were other teams on the phone with the Ravens inquiring about pick 23 I guarantee it. And I think your hunch about the Titans is spot on.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.