RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

Just now, Logic said:

SECOND IN THE ENTIRE FBS IN PASSER RATING ALLOWED. SECOND.

College production + speed and size + elite work ethic + he's only 20.

Pretty good, Beane. Pretty, pretty, prreeeettttttty good.

I would love for anyone to try to explain why it's a BAD THING that the Bills -- in desperate need of a corner -- took the kid who allowed the second lowest passer rating in the FBS the past 3 years.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

For people saying they don’t mind trading a 4th…..what? Why just give away any pick? You could have used that 4th to move up in the second round, there was no way that Dallas was going corner. Bean just got nervous and ***** up. I like Elam but that just made zero sense

This might be a shock, but Beane is probably working with better draft intel than the fans. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Oh no, we traded away a 4th round pick! How will we ever possibly fill that massive hole when we only have next years draft, next years free agency, trades to possibly make, and other free agents still out there.

The Bills will be feeling this massive loss 5 years from now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

THANK YOU.  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with all the people obsessed about losing a 4th rounder to move up. This player is going to be a killer fit for this team because of the athletic profile and his work ethic.   He's exactly what we should want in a CB2 role and has the tools that Levi Wallace straight up didn't have.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep….better get him some more help though. Need better playmakers outside and some depth upfront…. Please no more defense the next couple rounds. 

I wanted OL badly - When Green went 15 or so and then Johnson and Penning very early I was pretty sure Buffalo was going to go CB.

RB and TE are real possibilities in the 2-3. Some decent OL mid range too.

5 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I'm seriously surprised to see the disdain on this board with this pick.  Elam is going to be great opposite Tre.  He has a speed element that the secondary is seriously lacking and he has great measurements.  When we're playing guys like Hill, Waddle, and now Jameson Williams multiple times a year we're going to need this kind of speedy man element to ensure we don't get killed in YAC. 

This is a great piece to make our defense that much more dominant. 

We get torched by Hill and the cheifs passing game for years and the Bills get a cb with elite speed and people grab pitch forks lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Logic said:

And it’s not like he amassed those numbers playing in a weak conference against second tier competition either. He faced the best receivers the SEC had to offer. And he’s only 20. Stratospheric ceiling. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

One thing I am 100% certain about. In the past 3 months of round 1st draft discussions on this board. With literally millions of words typed. The words Kaiir Elam was NEVER typed once!! Makes one wonder about the value of this discussion when reviewing the Bills selection.   

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, MPT said:

This might be a shock, but Beane is probably working with better draft intel than the fans. 

Its obnoxious isn't it? As if the Chiefs didnt just trade up for McDuffie, it was utterly impossible that someone trade up for Elam? Or that it was utterly impossible that any other GM liked Elam? These people are trashing the GM with very little info to go on lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Mel Kiper nailed our pick. 

25. Buffalo Bills

Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida

I really struggled here because I wanted to give the Bills running back Breece Hall. I just can't do it, though I'm going to be kicking myself if general manager Brandon Beane takes Hall. Ultimately, Beane could find a good back on Day 2. Buffalo's need at corner is just too large to use a luxury pick here. Elam is a long, press-man corner with some ball skills

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Trading up anytime is ok except to jump a team that has no need for the position you want why just throw the pick away? No reason to do it whatsoever

Let me ask Could Baltimore or Dallas also trade out to a team say like NE that also has CB needs?  Simple yes or No. 

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.