RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The NFL is now like an arms race, whoever has the most nukes wins. Your WR’s are your nukes, CB’s Iin the playoffs even the good ones couldn’t stop sheet. We definitely dropped the ball on Skyy Moore. 

Yeah the Bengals and their all-world WRs totally whooped Jalen Ramsey and the Rams for the Lombardi trophy. Oh wait.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/3259672/2022/04/28/nfl-draft-kaiir-elam-florida-gators/

“He’s a self-motivator to the point that he competes against himself,” said former Florida cornerbacks coach Jules Montinar. “I texted him after he ran the 4.39 at the combine and he was pissed that he didn’t run faster.”

He earned coaches All-SEC honors as a sophomore in 2020 when his 13 pass breakups tied for tops in the conference despite playing 161 fewer snaps in coverage than co-leader Patrick Surtain II.

“He’s really comfortable playing press and he’s good at it,” Montinar said. “He’s a big guy, so it’s hard for wide receivers to get off the line. He gets hands on those guys and disturbs the timing of the routes. He matches up well against big receivers, has good ball skills, good movement, good change-of-direction, and he’s smart.”

Reserved and matter-of-fact, Elam is hardly a quote machine. But he spoke up after last season’s 31-29 loss to Alabama, feeling the Gators were receiving too many back pats merely for playing the No. 1-ranked team close. “Losing is NOT acceptable, especially in the Swamp!” he tweeted. Later that day he told reporters, “I feel like we shouldn’t have any sympathy just because we lost by fewer points — even though we were projected to get mopped or whatever.”

Coachspeak: “I saw his professionalism and how he went about his preparation day-to-day, whether it was meetings or workouts or practice,” said Montinar, who’s now at Temple. “Having coached at Bama and Georgia, I’ve been around some big-time players, and he’s one of the best when it comes to the preparation. That’s not just me talking him up. He’s going to play a long time if he stays healthy.”

Sounds like a perfect fit to me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Kingston Bills Fan said:

For people saying they don’t mind trading a 4th…..what? Why just give away any pick? You could have used that 4th to move up in the second round, there was no way that Dallas was going corner. Bean just got nervous and ***** up. I like Elam but that just made zero sense

Can still package late round picks to move up in 2nd if team feels the need to. 

1 minute ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

For people saying they don’t mind trading a 4th…..what? Why just give away any pick? You could have used that 4th to move up in the second round, there was no way that Dallas was going corner. Bean just got nervous and ***** up. I like Elam but that just made zero sense

We have no idea what those guys know that we don't. Maybe they had intel that Dallas liked Elam. Maybe Baltimore told them that other teams were trying to trade up with them. We have no idea.

It's possible Beane got stupid and antsy, but it's also possible that they had intel that gave them cause to do what they did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I love draft picks.  When it comes to draft picks: the more, the better.   Pro Bowlers are found in every round.  Like lottery tickets, the chances of winning in the draft increases with your number of picks.  Generally speaking, it's better to trade down to gain picks than to trade up and lose picks. 

And, yet, I'm okay with Beane giving up a 4h rounder, maybe needlessly.

The Bills badly needed a CB and saw Elam as the last guy on the board who could come in and start for the Bills.

While there are good players in every round, typically what you get in the 4th round is a backup who sticks around for a couple years before being cut.  So Beane gave up a mediocre backup to be certain he got us a contributor at a position of need.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I'm pretty amazed at the number of people here doubting McDermott's ability to develop a DB. We have been getting by with undrafted CBs, this improves our team by a lot. 

By that logic why not trust him to nab a guy later rounds and develop him? 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2

3 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

so trading up for you guy in the first is panicking but in the second is shrewd?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

No rb under contract after this year…no te under contract after this year…Crowder is on a 1 year deal..Saffold is only here for 1 year…get the idea? 

So just want to point one thing out

Beane seems to like to do these "1 year deals" when it comes to vets.  Do you really believe we wont have a TE under a long term contract next year.....a offensive guard?

Corner is a premium position.....our start corner is coming back from a  major injury.   We still have some picks left.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.