RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

28 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Love the player.  Great job - they knew Dallas wanted him.  

Dallas should probably stop putting their draft board on the internet. Jerruh is slow to figure out others might peek. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Josh is the only first round offensive pick since McDermott got here (and that year he still got Tremaine in Round 1). Not necessarily a bad thing but remember when we are speculating next year lol

They also traded a 1st for a WR. 

I did not see the terms of the trade, so I went through Draft Tek's running 7 round computer projection of the draft that is updated after every pick.  I don't know if there are any future implications for the trade, but in the latest simulation, Buffalo has no 4th round pick.  The Bills appear to have given of a 4th round pick to move up.  I don't know whether or not Buffalo might get some latte round throw in pick in 2023.

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

We just heard that Elam was the last guy on Beane's board with a 1st round grade.  That tells you everything. The 4th round pick on the roster is inconsequential 

I just don’t see it as him that much better, but I hope it works out.  

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

It’s interesting Beane didn’t have a first round grade on Jermaine Johnson, Booth, or Lloyd. I’m also surprised he’d admit that. Let’s hope his grading system proves correct this time, some of his early picks in years past have left a lot to be desired.

Beane hasn’t been afraid to say things like that to prove his point.  Beane don’t mess around - they wanted Elam and made the deal to get him.  He is making that clear to the media and fans

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Whether you agree with Beane or not, he just said in his interview that Elam was the last player on the Bills' board with a 1st round grade. They did not have a 1st round grade on Booth or Gordon.

i mean, you don’t have to trust his word- he traded up saying it loud and clear

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I won't pretend that Elam was my top choice, and I won't pretend that I've watched a bunch of his tape.

Here's what I know: The Bills needed a cornerback, clearly wanted to get faster and more athletic at the position (as evidenced by letting Wallace walk), and just took a kid that's 6'1" and runs a 4.39.

Considering how much McDermott and Frazier have gotten out of VASTLY less talented corner prospects, I have all the faith in the world that they'll coach Elam up into being a stud.

The Bills' top need by far was a cornerback. They got one, and he's incredibly long and athletic. Hard to be too upset tonight (though I'm sure some here will still find a way!)

None of us have to lose sleep at night thinking about what the bills are gonna do at CB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

No rb under contract after this year…no te under contract after this year…Crowder is on a 1 year deal..Saffold is only here for 1 year…get the idea? 

starting to reach further out for worries - much further

good sign 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We traded up for him, 1 pick away and Booth and Gordon on the board. LOL.  That happened..

and now the jets gets Johnson.  Jets killed it.  Luckily we have 17

But if McDermott and the scouts rated Elam higher than Booth, why not give up a 4th to get him? This team is close, very close. Giving up a 4th will not hurt as much as grabbing your guy at CB can help.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.