RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We traded up for him, 1 pick away and Booth and Gordon on the board. LOL.  That happened..

and now the jets gets Johnson.  Jets killed it.  Luckily we have 17

Booth has medical concerns. Gordon is all athleticism, not a lot of instincts. The Bills have very specific traits they look for in their CBs - length and zone instincts. Elam has very good athleticism too, not elite but better than what we've had at that position.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I believe they wanted Elam and liked Booth. The only thing I question is trading a 4th to move down two spots.  But I imaging Beane can get a pick back later in the draft by trading down.

they are a point where not all picks make the team.

last season I think 2 picks on PS got plucked.

plan on 1st. 2nd, and 3rd making team.

thry have one roster WC spot for a surprise prospect ( Stephenson got this slot last year).

there is no difference in expectation of a late 4th vs 5 th or 6 th on chances to make a team.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We traded up for him, 1 pick away and Booth and Gordon on the board. LOL.  That happened..

Whether you agree with Beane or not, he just said in his interview that Elam was the last player on the Bills' board with a 1st round grade. They did not have a 1st round grade on Booth or Gordon.

1 minute ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

It is still so nice and refreshing to have management that can actually draft with some common since and not make those bonehead decisions we've dealt with in the past. 

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

Clearly biggest area of need at the moment. A top 5 corner by most any measure.

Avoided T-Rex Arms McDuffie, and Booth must have looked bad in medicals or something.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

very true we do, but that begs the question did we need to trade up or could we have taken Booth or Gordon?   Hopefully Elam is that much better.  

We just heard that Elam was the last guy on Beane's board with a 1st round grade.  That tells you everything. The 4th round pick on the roster is inconsequential 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Beane obviously had him rated higher and was trying to keep him away from Dallas

I am a Booth and Gordon stan....but who am I to question McDermott on DB's......maybe he wanted a 4.38 big physical corner....maybe he was just following his board.

• Like (+1) 1

Fills our biggest need at a position that our head coach happens to be most knowledgeable about so I'm happy with the pick and the trade up. The only strange thing to me is how long they were on the clock after the trade. Could mean nothing but I wonder if they were still debating it.

1 minute ago, djp14150 said:

they are a point where not all picks make the team.

last season I think 2 picks on PS got plucked.

plan on 1st. 2nd, and 3rd making team.

thry have one roster WC spot for a surprise prospect ( Stephenson got this slot last year).

there is no difference in expectation of a late 4th vs 5 th or 6 th on chances to make a team.

Agree could see the Bills trade up in the 2nd and package some late round picks to get their guy again if they feel the need to.

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

why?   that’s unreal.  ACC D player of year.  Good against run and pass. 

If beane is being truthful about no first rd grade on johnson - then their scouts stopped scouting the noles in august - because johnson single handily kept the noles in games they had no business being in. i’m not anti cb/elam - but johnson is better than rousseau, basham, epenesa and lawson right now. would rather have him and have taken a cb in rd 2 - i think their are players closer to elam than johnson still left.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I love the pick. I personally had it Booth, Elam, McDuffie…but would have been happy with either of the 3. You don’t doubt MCD when it comes to DBs.

Giving up a 4th? Meh. Don’t mind it. We don’t have many holes, nor is a 4th round pick reliable to fill any of them. If you love a CB, and you NEED a CB, you give up that pick. No questions asked.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.