RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Was just thinking how little we talk about the staff getting no real credit for Whites development as if he came in elite - he was the 5th CB in that draft

Exactly and it’s not like he had this type of athletic profile 

I’m good with this pick and I think he will end up being a great corner for us 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Nihilarian said:

If we Bills fans have learned anything about Beane & McD... it's that they know CBs. Ya think Tre White would have lasted until pick 27 if other teams knew what McD knew?

They didn't trade up for no reason either as they might have been thinking that NE who also needs a CB might have been attempting to trade up. We don't know. 

I'm not going to worry about it either.  The Bills got their guy. 

I think it’s more of a system thing. They have a great system for DBs to be successful.

1 minute ago, Udubalum07 said:

I really liked Booth in the tape I have seen, but I trust McD. I'm just happy they went corner. It is the biggest need, especially since I don't think we will see a truly healthy White until late next year, hopefully just before playoff time.

theres no reason in the world to think tre is a late next year return 

this pick is about long term roster building and cap. Tre pairs with a cheap rookie for his remaining contract. Kid works out and gets tres money shifted to him 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think it’s more of a system thing. They have a great system for DBs to be successful.

very true we do, but that begs the question did we need to trade up or could we have taken Booth or Gordon?   Hopefully Elam is that much better.  

15 minutes ago, CDogg20 said:

Everyone saying we didn’t need to trade up, we don’t know if someone else was trying to jump into that 23 slot with need for a corner. We only fave up a 4th to make sure we got our guy. I’m good with it. 

I agree. If he fills his role well then our secondary will be awesome along with Von Miller pressuring along with Rousseau, etc. I also heard the Rousseau has added a good 15 lbs. of muscle this off season. A great pass rush with excellent coverage is a recipe for success, and I'm sure that's how our front office and coaching staff view it.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I won't pretend that Elam was my top choice, and I won't pretend that I've watched a bunch of his tape.

Here's what I know: The Bills needed a cornerback, clearly wanted to get faster and more athletic at the position (as evidenced by letting Wallace walk), and just took a kid that's 6'1" and runs a 4.39.

Considering how much McDermott and Frazier have gotten out of VASTLY less talented corner prospects, I have all the faith in the world that they'll coach Elam up into being a stud.

The Bills' top need by far was a cornerback. They got one, and he's incredibly long and athletic. Hard to be too upset tonight (though I'm sure some here will still find a way!)

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s interesting Beane didn’t have a first round grade on Jermaine Johnson, Booth, or Lloyd. I’m also surprised he’d admit that. Let’s hope his grading system proves correct this time, some of his early picks in years past have left a lot to be desired.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.